Is it just me... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it just me...

or are 90% of the threads on here something like: "What is the best board for me? I'm 5'8" 140lbs."

I have only been on this forum for a few weeks, but if you have to answer the same question 5,000 times (granted it is to different people), it will get old really quickly. I understand that there are a lot of rookies out there but do some research: visit your local shop (if you have one), narrow it down to three choices, compare specs, and then ask opinions of the forum specific to those boards. I would much rather give input to the differences in pop, edgehold, press-a-bility, rocker lines, etc. than what size board you should ride (or compare to completely opposite boards, i.e. Weapon Rocker and a Fish).

I understand that a lot of people don't have the time or resources to demo a bunch of boards to find the perfect one, but if you limit your selection, then you can ask questions specific to the models that you are looking at.

Just my two cents.

Where's the automobile forum? I am 5'9", 155lbs and a need suggestions about what I should drive...
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
and a need suggestions about what I should drive...
you joke but there have been threads like this...
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's a useless battle. Besides, if the same stuff weren't being asked a million times, then these forums would have the same 5 revolving threads.

I can't tell you how many times I've answered the same thing over and over and over and over and over again. There will always be new members searching for information that others have already posted. Searching through thousands of posts aren't fun so I can understand why new members constantly post questions that have already been answered.

I personally don't mind helping people with the same stuff again and again. Does it get redundant? Sure. But in the end, I am helping a fellow rider out.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
hexon

The mods could just make a sticky of this: Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

Not only does it answer the size question, it also addresses waist width and allows you to see some suggested boards.

Of course, getting newbies to look at/use said thread would be another issue all together. There is already a general sticky on board sizes (thanks snowolf), but it would probably be easier to just input everything into a calculator.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Believe it or not, this thread is also fits into the typical mold.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
you joke but there have been threads like this...
Well, I love my dub so it worked out for the best!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm guilty too..bottom line is that we like the stuff...talking about the stuff..and giving avice about the stuff....unless we're riding the white stuff...and shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
or are 90% of the threads on here something like: "What is the best board for me? I'm 5'8" 140lbs."

I have only been on this forum for a few weeks, but if you have to answer the same question 5,000 times (granted it is to different people), it will get old really quickly. I understand that there are a lot of rookies out there but do some research: visit your local shop (if you have one), narrow it down to three choices, compare specs, and then ask opinions of the forum specific to those boards. I would much rather give input to the differences in pop, edgehold, press-a-bility, rocker lines, etc. than what size board you should ride (or compare to completely opposite boards, i.e. Weapon Rocker and a Fish).

I understand that a lot of people don't have the time or resources to demo a bunch of boards to find the perfect one, but if you limit your selection, then you can ask questions specific to the models that you are looking at.

Just my two cents.

Where's the automobile forum? I am 5'9", 155lbs and a need suggestions about what I should drive...
KIRKRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Everything you need to know is right here: Sedition`s Equipment Guides - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Location: The red dot on the map says, an I quote, "You are HERE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedition View Post

Is that stickied? Maybe you should put it in caps/bold.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 04-01-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The search function isn't all that helpful though.

For ex: this probably gets asked millions of times - ''what is the best park board?'' - but type it up in the search and see what you find...not super helpful

Given the not so great searches, being impatient and not all that knowledgeable, I'd make a new thread for sure.
fredericp64 is offline   Reply With Quote