New and unsure :) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Nebuk

Default New and unsure :)

Hi
I have been snowboarding a few times just for fun and I am now looking at actually buying my own board.
I have size 11 uk boots and really dont know what board waist I should be looking at, a mate has offered to give me a board with waist 23.2cm and I think this is too small. Is there any way I could still ride this by changing my bindings around at all?
Cheers for the help guys
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
weipim

hey, if u can tell me on the etiquette what's size 11 equals to, that would be really helpful.

I think normally uk size equals to half size down from us size, which said, ur 11 uk boots will probably equals to 11.5 US, at least that's on my burton boots reference.

so I guess you will need a board with waist more than 260mm imo.

that being said your friend's board is way too small, i'm not sure if there are ways to overcome this, others will probly help u

cheers ha
Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuk View Post
I have size 11 uk boots and really dont know what board waist I should be looking at, a mate has offered to give me a board with waist 23.2cm and I think this is too small. Is there any way I could still ride this by changing my bindings around at all?
23.2 cm?! Wow, that's really quite narrow. Is it an alpine board or a pure carving board? What is the board's length? To me, it sounds too narrow unless it's a long very narrow carving board where you will have a very aggressive and narrow binding angle. I don't think I would be comfortable on any normal snowboard with a waist width less than 245-247 and I wear size 9 boots.

There are a couple of ways to make your larger feet fit on a smaller waist board, but they all dramatically effect your comfort.
  • Widen your stance. The listed waist width is generally at the narrowest point on the board, and boards widen as you move outward. a wider stance would put your feet onto a wider section of the board.
  • Change you binding angles. If you ride duck, widen your angles. If you ride forward angles, make them even more forward.
Going too far with either of those is NOT at all recommended. If you normally ride 15/-15 and a 21" stance, going to a 26" stance and 21/-18 is just stupid.

You should never have to dramatically change your stance/angles to fit a board (tiny adjustments are fine and normal). That's just a sign that it isn't the right size for you.

Now, if this is an alpine board or a pure carving board, then perhaps you will fit. Your stance angles would be really aggressive to start with, like 45/30. At that point though, you might as well be in hard boots and plate bindings...
2010 Burton Ruler

Last edited by CoopersTroopers; 04-01-2010 at 10:30 AM.
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nebuk

To be honest with you I am unsure
I got a text off him saying it is a Burton Motion 62 and that he would measure it later but he thought it was about that waist.
I will post again when I have managed to get a bit more information
Cheers for the swift reply
Ben
Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebuk View Post
To be honest with you I am unsure
I got a text off him saying it is a Burton Motion 62 and that he would measure it later but he thought it was about that waist.
I will post again when I have managed to get a bit more information
Cheers for the swift reply
Ben
Looks about right then. Burton Motion 2001 Reviews

Old board circa 2001ish. Freeride. Really narrow waist.

What kind of riding do you intend on doing? Free as it may be, it's old and very freeride focused; might not be suitable for whatever kind of riding you want to be doing.
2010 Burton Ruler
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weipim View Post
I think normally uk size equals to half size down from us size, which said, ur 11 uk boots will probably equals to 11.5 US, at least that's on my burton boots reference.

so I guess you will need a board with waist more than 260mm imo.
An 11.5 could probably get away with a little less than a 260, but that's pretty borderline right there.
wolfbaden6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

260?!

A buddy with size 13 rides a 25.8cm board just fine with acceptable overhang.

23 is way way way too small for your size.

Anything above 25cm should work fine for you...you dont need a full wide board for size 11.5US(11UK) boots...

If your size 13 you want something over 26cm generally. He can get away with 25.8cm because its not much difference, his bindings bring his feet way up, and he has the Rulers with "shrinkage" so they are supposed to be more like 12's.

Last edited by arsenic0; 04-01-2010 at 02:52 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

if your buddy snowboards a lot then hes a fekkin jerk and just trying make cash off you by selling you a wildly inappropriate deck. If on the other hand hes also a bit clueless disregard what i said. Also, how much is he trying to sell it to you for? Youd be amazed at how cheap you can get a setup for yourself out there FIRST HAND particularly at this point of the season. Not only that but it will be a deck that you will probably have a lot of fun riding and will help your progression. Sticking you on a freeride board thats way too narrow for you from 10 years ago seems a bit of a dickish move if you ask me. Even if he was giving you the board, (and he bloody should if hes a mate and its that old) its still terrible for you to learn on. I mean, you CAN learn on anything, but it doesnt mean you should. Go get yourself a proper size board thats got a nice soft-medium flex and youll actually enjoy learning to ride instead of throwing scorpions all around the mountain.
ippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

UK11 is US12 you want mid wide board
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here you go:

Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote