My board dilemma ROCKER - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My board dilemma ROCKER

Watsup people, i am currently searching for that perfect board for spring boarding and next season while the prices are low. I am 5'6 about 155 and athletic build. I am just getting into the park scene (jibbing rails jumps etc) and wanted a board with some good flex and is good for learning the ropes when it comes to getting some air but is still solid on the rails. Also the lighter the better! Right now my top picks are:

Ride Machete
LibTech Skate Banana
Gnu Riders choice
Was also considering the Ride DH2 and the LibTech Banana Magic although i heard they are a bit on the stiffer end.Also heard some good things about the Gnu Park Pickle for my needs...

I also Know that the Machete has a much mellower rocker then the banana which makes it preform better all over the mountain.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks
PS on the east coast
snowaddict25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

if you're on the east coast, it begins and ends with Lib-tech/GNU magnetraction.
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

What kind of boards have you owned/ridden in the past? Is this going to be a purely park board for you, or will you also be taking it all mountain?

I personally prefer a mellower three-stage style rocker in something like the Machete, but that's just my preference. I've never ridden a Mervin (Lib/Gnu/Roxy) board to see if Magnetraction would help me, but if you are going for something with a more aggressive rocker shape, I would suggest it just based on the physics of it.
2010 Burton Ruler
CoopersTroopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am def. not gunna be strictly in the park, LOVE the powder on the occasion that i get some near me as i assume every1 does but my main focus for the remainder of this season and next is gunna be getting air and working jibs/rails which i am relativley new to for the end of this season.

I have basically rediscovered snowboarding halfway through this season and have become obsessed. I learned when i was younger then wasnt able to go because of money. now that i have grown and am not reliant on mommmy and daddy im trying to take it to the next level and plan to be riding all the time next season.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpez View Post
if you're on the east coast, it begins and ends with Lib-tech/GNU magnetraction.
What do you ride...anything to expand upon that
Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I personally have a GNU Rider's Choice BTX and I don't think I would ever give it up. It's flexible enough to easily press/butter but stiff enough to feel solid riding the rest of the mountain. I did have problems with having it wash on me when I first started skating on it because of the reverse camber, but it's a really minor thing to me. I'm not 100% sure on this, but a few buddies that have the Skate Banana say that it feels a little squirly when landing jumps. I'm guessing that the mix of the flex and reverse camber is what causes this.
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Id get something in the never summer family if I were you. The Evo sounds like its what you NEED
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

TRS or a Sk8 Banana. TRS for more aggressive riding/jumping. Sk8 Banana for more park. Park Pickle for all park.
Liv4Sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

true thanks people....The only downside i heard about the Gnu Riders Choice is that its heavy comparativley to the other boards i am interested in... Has anyone else heard/expierenced that?

I have been some hype about Never Summer recently, the Evo is solid on rails/jibbing as well as getting some air... How about the Rocker on the Evo what can it be compared to?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
somebodyelse5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowaddict25 View Post
I am def. not gunna be strictly in the park, LOVE the powder on the occasion that i get some near me as i assume every1 does but my main focus for the remainder of this season and next is gunna be getting air and working jibs/rails which i am relativley new to for the end of this season.

I have basically rediscovered snowboarding halfway through this season and have become obsessed. I learned when i was younger then wasnt able to go because of money. now that i have grown and am not reliant on mommmy and daddy im trying to take it to the next level and plan to be riding all the time next season.
that statement makes the skate banana the board you need. done deal. get it. love it. youll be happy no doubt.
You can ride it in the park easy as well as all mountain. Jesse Burtner Rocks a banana in the back country throwing 1 footed 3's and shit.....yea, in the BACKCOUNTRY. guy is crazy. For park he rides something a little flexier (his own box scrather) which is super flexy and fun, but doesnt do as well all mountain as the banana. Watch Cool Story and youll see some cool innovative riding haha