Base cleaner + dirty board = ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Base cleaner + dirty board = ?

I went snowboarding today in spring conditions. Meaning a thin layer of shitty snow that is often dirty. After riding, I noticed a bunch of black/brown dots or smears on the base of my board (green base, sintered park pickle). i used a wet cloth towel to try to wipe some of the dirt off, but it didnt take much of it away.

i was going to use a base cleaner, but i read an article on sierrasnowboard forums that said base cleaners can possibly damage the base of your board and make hot-waxing less effective. it advised to use rubbing alcohol instead.

will base cleaners, rubbing alcohol, or another product effectively remove the dirt from my board without damaging it, and why? thanks a lot.

edit: can dirt on the bottom of your board eventually damage it or leave lasting effects? even if the answer is no, im very OCD about keeping my board clean and in good shape...
mrpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This happens to my hatchet (half white base...ugh!) all the time during spring, and to answer your question: Yes, that dirt can eventually work its way into and gum up the pores in your base and not allow wax to get in there. No wax = slow board

Though I havent seen the forum that your read from sierra, I dont see how base cleaners can effect your boards base in a negative way...they are designed to clean it.

I am unsure about using rubbing alcohol on your base...I am using Toko base cleaner and noticed that its a little more slippery between the fingers than rubbing alcohol, which would hint to me that its designed not to fume off to quick, which, if it did - could potentially dry your base.

There are plenty of citrus based cleaners out there too, I've not tried them so can't comment on them.

Just make sure when you apply the base cleaner that you rub off all the excess, let it dry then give your board a damned good wax afterwards (even leave the wax on and reheat it later on after its set just to make sure that you get it all in there). Scrape, buff & shred.

I base clean (OCD as on this matter as well...) my boards probably 4 - 5 times a season, of which, one is 5 seasons old and they still have fast bases.
fattrav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

some good info here...
fatboyj711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
This happens to my hatchet (half white base...ugh!) all the time during spring, and to answer your question: Yes, that dirt can eventually work its way into and gum up the pores in your base and not allow wax to get in there. No wax = slow board

Though I havent seen the forum that your read from sierra, I dont see how base cleaners can effect your boards base in a negative way...they are designed to clean it.

I am unsure about using rubbing alcohol on your base...I am using Toko base cleaner and noticed that its a little more slippery between the fingers than rubbing alcohol, which would hint to me that its designed not to fume off to quick, which, if it did - could potentially dry your base.

There are plenty of citrus based cleaners out there too, I've not tried them so can't comment on them.

Just make sure when you apply the base cleaner that you rub off all the excess, let it dry then give your board a damned good wax afterwards (even leave the wax on and reheat it later on after its set just to make sure that you get it all in there). Scrape, buff & shred.

I base clean (OCD as on this matter as well...) my boards probably 4 - 5 times a season, of which, one is 5 seasons old and they still have fast bases.
ive read that its good to apply the base cleaner to a cloth and then apply it to the board. how soon after using the base cleaner do you need to wax? i might use the base cleaner monday morning, then have it waxed later that day.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpez View Post
ive read that its good to apply the base cleaner to a cloth and then apply it to the board. how soon after using the base cleaner do you need to wax? i might use the base cleaner monday morning, then have it waxed later that day.
Are you not waxing it yourself?

I spray mine on then rub it straight away, you could apply it with a cloth though. When applied it usually dries with in 20mins and I start my waxing from there. Not sure about how long you could leave it for (the more time you leave it though, the more time dust 'n' shit can get on the base).

You'll be fine with what you're planning on doing.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattrav View Post
Are you not waxing it yourself?

I spray mine on then rub it straight away, you could apply it with a cloth though. When applied it usually dries with in 20mins and I start my waxing from there. Not sure about how long you could leave it for (the more time you leave it though, the more time dust 'n' shit can get on the base).

You'll be fine with what you're planning on doing.
i cant wax it myself because of some problems id rather not get into. it is possible to wax a board without an iron, right? if so, then i think i could learn how and wax it myself instead of having a shop wax it.

i get free waxing at sport chalet, so i usually just take it there. i probably wont be riding anymore this season too. even though the mountain is open till april 25th, there is little snow and its too dirty...

edit: ive read many different opinions on the types of base cleaners. some say to use petroleum based, others say to avoid it and use citrus based cleaners. whats the difference?

Last edited by mrpez; 04-03-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
i cant wax it myself because of some problems id rather not get into. it is possible to wax a board without an iron, right? if so, then i think i could learn how and wax it myself instead of having a shop wax it.

i get free waxing at sport chalet, so i usually just take it there. i probably wont be riding anymore this season too. even though the mountain is open till april 25th, there is little snow and its too dirty...

edit: ive read many different opinions on the types of base cleaners. some say to use petroleum based, others say to avoid it and use citrus based cleaners. whats the difference?
if you're having a shop wax your board, why don't you have them clean it as well?
fatboyj711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

You can wax it with out an iron. I woudn't recommend it though if your going to base clean it first. Best to have an iron handy to melt wax into the base pores that you've just stripped of there wax. Just sue your Mom's one, she won't mind, or get an old assed iron from the local second hand shop or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyj711 View Post
if you're having a shop wax your board, why don't you have them clean it as well?
Yup.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

i asked and the shop said they could clean it as well. i wasnt sure if they did, so i was looking to do it myself.

thanks for the advice.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hot scrape it! done and done.
earl_je is offline   Reply With Quote