Never Summer Size Query - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer Size Query

A bit of background on me, only been snowboarding for 2 years, based in OZ do weekend trips, go to NZ for 2 weeks every year, 3rd trip this June. Have been hiring for the past 2 years, mainly on the Burton cruzer ( rental shop stable )have been riding a 158 from memory. Anyway after a lot of research decided to get a NS SLR. I'm 6 foot and weigh 85kg which is around 187 pounds and have size 9.5 boots. To cut a long story into a slightly less than long story, I have been trying to source an NS board for about a month and have found a 158 from evogear that they will send to Australia, about to order when i looked at the NS sizing charts on the evo website. According to the chart I'm too fat for the 158 and 161.
According to the chart a 158 handles between 120 -165 pounds and a 7-9 boot. the 161 is 125-170 and 9.5 -11 boot.
Is anyone a similar weight / height and what size boards do you ride. Very keen on the NS SLR but want to make sure I'm getting the right size.
Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance for any help.
Richo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Greetings! Here is what I got on this. First, I have no clue where they get those weight ratings that sounds wayyy off! I am 6' and 180-190 lbs on a regular day. Closer to the 180 mark now. I have ridden the SL-R in a 155 and a 158 with no problems. Size 11 Northwave boots too, no problems. For me the SL-R just isn't my board but I preferred the 155 in it. My wide stance on that board with the set back inserts put my back foot right on the carbon v's and it was super snappy. The 158 felt the same but a little soggier for me. You would be fine with either and I would let your riding or availability help you choose. I haven't rode the 161 and I personally prefer shorter sticks then some but I am sure if that's what you had to get it would be fine too! Another sweet NS to check out is next years Heritage! The more time I spend on it the more I love it. Today on it was epic! For me I would rather have a 10/11 Heritage for everything but that's me. I am sure you would be happy with the build on any Never Summer you get!

I just wish they would make a SL/Heritage type of board in a true twin with centered inserts... ::nudge ::nudge VINCE! hehe

Last edited by FLuiD; 04-03-2010 at 09:32 PM.
FLuiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

ýve got a brand new 2010 neversummer slr 164 here (in australia) which I may sell as I think I really want the evo, if you are interested shoot me a pm
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo411 View Post
I have been trying to source an NS board for about a month and have found a 158 from evogear that they will send to Australia, about to order when i looked at the NS sizing charts on the evo website. According to the chart I'm too fat for the 158 and 161.
Just a heads up. That's probably Evogear's generic weight chart. According to Vince from Never Summer: "We don't believe in weight chart and go by rider flex preference"
I'm 6'2". 190lb and am riding a 161 SL-R. I wouldn't want to go shorter

Last edited by Bones; 04-04-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Sorry to yank your chain mate but I have decided not to sell, these things are too hard to get a hold of and I have purchased a second softer board for goofing around on so I will be keeping the slr for all mountain slaying.

you can get a 158 here
Never Summer SL-R Rocker Snowboard 2010 : Snowboards | evo

or a 155 158 or 161 here
http://www.snowridinggear.com/2010-N...rd-P866C0.aspx

better act fast
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Board size

A few things: The NS dealers have largely sold out. Everyone has trouble getting boards now.

Here's a link with a better chart but don't just look at charts - read the second part of the link that explains all the reasons charts are only rough guesses.

If you ride only groom and park, you can always go shorter. If you ride deep powder, you can go longer (especially for Japan). But, if you ride deep powder and trees, you need to go shorter and longer...er, I'm so confused.

If you go with NS, you can add something else to the equation - Rocker and Camber. By using both, you get better edge control and you can ride a little bit shorter. I love Never Summer stuff - great company! They have new stuff coming out in our fall (sorry). You might want to wait? You'll have an easier time of it and get to grab some incredible technology too. You know that sooner or later you're coming up to Niseko (Hokkaido). It's a rite of passage.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys.
Probably leaning a bit more towards the 161 now as in reality I'm probably only gonna get heavier!
Hey Bryan I was thinking of waiting to your fall for the new seasons gear, but the season is pretty much over by the end of August over here in Vic and really keen to use a new board when I go over to NZ in July, which means another season of hiring.
Actually planning a trip to Japan for feb next year, just confirming numbers before we book.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Board size

I've seen one or two Aussies over here ;-)

You'll love it.
bryantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey ETM
No worries, just for info did you get your board in OZ or from US?

Last edited by Richo411; 04-04-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Im the same size as you and had the same problem a few months ago, I went with the 161, personally i think its the perfect all round size for all mountain riding. I found the the board actually roade a little shorter than its length which was especially evident in the pow trees of japan.

At your size I would hesitate at going for 158 unless you do want to spend a bit of time in the park vs the all mountain terrain. Im definitely glad i went with the longer option. Plus as mentioned above sooner or later youre going to make it up to Japan, and there you will prefer the longer length for the pow floatation.

Looks like there will be quite a few SL-Rs downunder this year, I only spotted a legacy on my trip to Hakuba this year, so theyre still a rarity on this side of the world.

Youll love the board so jump on a deal that you see as most are already gone, luckily i picked mine up before xmas from backcountry who shipped to Aus but i dont think they have any stock left.
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote