Rode yesterday, HOOKED, need board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rode yesterday, HOOKED, need board advice

Finally was able to hit the slopes at Bear Mountain, CA, and try out snowboarding. Got a rental (burton ltr), took a lesson, and loved it, I'm hooked!

Only was able to stay about a half day, but caught on pretty quick. I'm comfortable with both edges, and able to link turns with ease. I've played hockey my whole life, and I think that really helped with balance and edge control.

Anyway, my in-laws just bought a cabin in Big Bear, so now I MUST get a board. Figure the best time to buy is right now, as many boards are heavily discounted.

I've read up on this forum, and found a few recommendations, but wanted to get some direct feedback. At this point I'm really only looking to freeride, and don't see myself hitting the park (but you never know). I'll probably only be able to go about five times a year, mostly Bear Mountain and Snow Summit.

I'm 5'10, 180lbs, shoe size 10.

Some of the boards that I came across on sale would be:
-Burton Custom V-Rocker 2010 ($280)
-Capita Sierrascope 2010 ($250, maybe $180 on buy/sell)
-Sierra Crew 2010 ($150)
-NS SL-R 2009 ($275 - near new)

1. Seems like a camber board is more suited for free-riding, but I read a rocker is helpful for beginners, as it is more forgivable. As a newbie, looking to gain experience, yet mainly interestedd in freeriding, am I better with one over the other?

2. Size: Given my weight, I think I should be about 156-158cm. That sound about right? Would 158 be better for freeriding? Maybe even more so if I get a rocker?

3. Your pick from the boards above? I'm welcome to other recommendations, but would like to keep the board under $300.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for your help, hopefully I can buy one soon before stock runs out on some of these boards.
toade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You need something in the 156-158 size you are correct.

If you can find a SL-R for 275 at that size its the best out of the boards you listed, assuming its not beat to shit.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree the SL-R is probably the most solid here, as long as it is in good condition. If you do decide to do park it won't hold you back. Inspect the edges, base, etc before buying.

If it turns out it's not in as good of shape as previously said, I think you're next choice for freeriding (based on price mind you), would be the Crew. I hate to advertise for sierra but it is a really nice board considering the price. It's basically the Burton Custom under a different name, but it does not have the Rocker like the SL-R. There is a Reverse Crew, but you'd be adding on 50 bucks.

The sierrascope is more geared towards park.

I haven't ridden Burtons rocker so I can't contribute to the Custom V-rocker, but I have ridden the NS and its so fun.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well it looks like ebay has a couple barely used sl-r:

Never Summer SL-R + K2 Auto Bindings 158 Snowboard NR - eBay (item 280485830748 end time Apr-04-10 19:36:40 PDT)

How's the above board look? i was looking for something a bit more pristine, but this doesn't seem too bad, right? Any comment on those bindings?

Never Summer SL R SL-R SLR 155cm 155 cm - eBay (item 290419980118 end time Apr-06-10 22:00:17 PDT)

And then this one is pretty much brand new, and seems like a good deal. Thoughts on these two?
Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, and if I bought the latter, could I get away with a 155?
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can give a definite thumbs up to the Sierra Crew.

Thumbs down on durability. Admittedly it is more cosmetic than substantive issues on durability but, damn, it looked so much better at the beginning of the season.

At $150 you really can't go wrong.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The top ones a pretty good deal assuming it doesnt go much higher. You need to take into account hes going to charge like 60 bucks to ship in the US though...
The K2 Auto's are a pretty good binding...

Its a bit beat up, but doesnt look any worse than mine honestly..a few scratches..assuming thats all thats wrong with it..doesnt really show any edge pictures..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses

Another option is a used 2009 Burton Custom ICS with with 2009 Burton Cartel EST Bindings, barely used and pristine, for $300.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
weipim

dude, if you are more hooked about the actual riding than towards the gear, u should definetly get the sl-r, cause you will really stop thinking about gears and shit and just sharpen ur skills. to be honest, for my first season I bought 3 boards and the third one is a heritage-r, and I soooo regreted that I did not spent the money earlier upfront.

bottom line, NS ftw
Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, looks like the SL-R is pretty well liked.

The first auction ended higher than I wanted. Now the question is whether the 155 could work. Seems like that might be a bit short for freeriding. Do I need to hold out for another 158?