How to tell if your snowboard is new? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
cikays

Default How to tell if your snowboard is new?

Hi everyone,

I am new to snowboarding and I have an elementry question that I hope some of you guys (or girls) can help me with. I recently bought a 'NEW' NS SL-R from eBay. When it arrived, I had a good look at it and I found there were imperfections on the base of the board. They were like scratches, but really superficial as i couldnt even feel it with my fingers. And they were not all over the base, which made me a bit confused if the board has been used or is brand new, but just a little banged up.

Now my question is, IF you mount bindings on the board, and used it (say once or twice) and you remove your bindings, will you already have made permanent marks on the topsheet? Specifically the round marks of the mount disc?

Thank you all

Cheers
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did it have the OBJ factory waxed sticker and foil eagle on the bottom? Come with a NS board sleeve? You should be able to easily tell if it's ridden by looking at the edges etc. A scratch or 2 is normal on a new board depending on how the person u got it from stored it etc... As far as the mounting circles. Yes most bindings will leave these pretty quick. If you use a binding with base plate padding like the Rome 390/Targa you don't have the circle problem.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
cikays

Hi Fluids,

Thanks for your reply. AFAIK all the stickers are in place. I have a circular NS eagle logo at the base of the nose, and a Saucer wax (Alien pic) sticker on the bottom, and also a R&C sticker on the topsheet, and a warranty card sticker. But for all i know they probably just sticked it back after using it. It came with a NS plastic sleeve bag, but there was no plastic shrinkwrap that comes with all new boards.

With regards to the binding mount marks, will the rubber gasket on the rome 390/targa or any binding for that matter leave some sort of mark as well?

Cheers
Darren
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
cikays

An update,

If anyone is interested, I have taken some photos of the scratches on the base. its at my photobucket album:

NS SLR pictures by cksee - Photobucket

They are not very clear as it was hard to capture them on camera and only visible at some angles , but hopefully it'll give you an idea.

Cheers,
Darren
Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Board sounds like it was new to me. They can pick up some minor bumps and scratches while in the shop on display.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

NS boards do not come shrink wrapped. They just come in the board bag.

Edit: take off the OBJ wax sticker and see if there is a slight discoloration from the sticker. The marks on the base look like they came from just being in a shop.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop

Last edited by B.Gilly; 04-05-2010 at 09:04 PM.
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
cikays

You guys are probably right. This is my first board so I was just a little too paranoid when I saw the scratches. Thanks anyway for your replies

BTW B.Gilly i removed the sticker and checked the base underneath it but there was no discoloration. What does the discoloration mean?

Cheers
Darren
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

There really aren't any scratches running lengthwise on the board (indicating it's been on some snow), so I'm going to say it's just some wear from storage and shipping.
wolfbaden6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Definitely looks a like a new board, few storage handling scratches, probably one of the reasons it was sold on ebay in the first place. Its not going to affect the board performance, ride it hard and enjoy, youll create some of your own scratches sooner although its a bit hard on the SLR given the toughness of the base ive found on mine.
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

As it's been said...Looks new to me too. No shrink wrap on a NS, you're good go ride that bad boy!!