Oakley A-Frames Lens Tint - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCanavan6

Default Oakley A-Frames Lens Tint

I have tried on a whole bunch of different goggles and the oakley a-frames fit me the best. The problem I am facing is what lenses to get for all conditions. I will rarely snowboard at night but if I have to or decide to I would like a tint I can actually see out of. The guy at the oakley store said Black Iridium is probably my best bet in terms of a lens that is versatile. I was also looking at Persimmon and VR28 as they are the cheapest lenses and seem to be ok in all conditions. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

The black iridium lens is the best all around lens they have. Persimmon lens sucks in my opinion. Its terrible if its really sunny out. Might as well have nothing on. I like the fire lens or the black iridiums. The black iridiums should suit you better if you decide to go at night.
SCZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
ahhhhhhhgabe

i've got the vr28 lens and they work just fine. dunno how much more $ the black iridium lens is, but if you can afford it i say do it.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCanavan6

black iridium is $120 and vr28 and persimmons are $95 so for the extra $25 if the black iridiums are that much better I might as well get them.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCZ71
The black iridium lens is the best all around lens they have. Persimmon lens sucks in my opinion. Its terrible if its really sunny out. Might as well have nothing on. I like the fire lens or the black iridiums. The black iridiums should suit you better if you decide to go at night.
Are you insane? Black Iridium are strictly for a sunny bluebird days. If you don't believe me then you can check it out on Oakley's website. Black Iridium has one of Oakley's lowest percentage of light transmission at 18% with Fire Iridium at 16% being the lowest. If you use a Black or Fire Iridium on an overcast day you will not be able to see a thing and if you use them at night, you might as well just go down the hill with your eyes closed. The best all-around lens is going to be the persimmon lens. This lens will help with definition on overcast days and are still very bearable on sunny days. I have both Black and Fire Iridium lens and these are the best for a sunny bluebird day. I prefer the high intensity yellow for overcast days and use these for night riding as well. Bottom line is that Black Iridium IS NOT an all around lens.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
st.stark

I'd just go with some orange lenses on there...should be fine without spending too much extra(if any lol)...
Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCanavan6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdog
Are you insane? Black Iridium are strictly for a sunny bluebird days. If you don't believe me then you can check it out on Oakley's website. Black Iridium has one of Oakley's lowest percentage of light transmission at 18% with Fire Iridium at 16% being the lowest. If you use a Black or Fire Iridium on an overcast day you will not be able to see a thing and if you use them at night, you might as well just go down the hill with your eyes closed. The best all-around lens is going to be the persimmon lens. This lens will help with definition on overcast days and are still very bearable on sunny days. I have both Black and Fire Iridium lens and these are the best for a sunny bluebird day. I prefer the high intensity yellow for overcast days and use these for night riding as well. Bottom line is that Black Iridium IS NOT an all around lens.
why would the employee tell me they are best all around?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdog
+1. Dark coloured lenses are definately better for the brighter days. A good way of thinking about it would be to put on sunglasses on a bright sunny day. Persimmon is definately the best for flat light days imo, and yellow for all arounded-ness.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanavan6
why would the employee tell me they are best all around?
Sometimes, shop employees lack something called brain cells...and if they have them, they're not used properly.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

He/She problably thinks they LOOK the coolest. Most of these jackasses' mindset is fashion before function.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote