5150 Stroke - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
viebster

Default 5150 Stroke

Hello everyone,
You may notice this is my first post, so don't be too hard on me.. I had a good season of snowboarding and am looking for a board cause renting a couple times a season isn't worth, and it'd be cheaper if I had my own board.

I'm looking for opinions on the 5150 stroke. It looks nice, and very affordable. This is the package I'm looking at.

Save on 5150 Stroke Snowboard Package - Mens

I'm not exactly sure I want a symmetrical board (twin tip?)? I'm not huge into park and jumps, but I'm starting to get into that, which would be nice having a symmetrical board. I'm not sure of the advantages of a directional board, but should I look into that?

I'm 6' - 145 lbs - size 11-12 feet (depending on the shoe).

Some side notes, is the toe cap strap on the Burton bindings sufficient for keeping your feet in? It seems like it wouldn't hold the foot Down enough, but i've heard lots of good reviews. Another thing, I read that directional boards are better for powder... why?

Thanks guys.
If there's a place with these answers, lead me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you're patient, watch for bargains and do some careful shopping you can end up with a much better setup for less money. I have not had any problems with the Burton cap straps, I have a couple of pairs of Cartels and a pair of CO2 bindings.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
viebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
If you're patient, watch for bargains and do some careful shopping you can end up with a much better setup for less money. I have not had any problems with the Burton cap straps, I have a couple of pairs of Cartels and a pair of CO2 bindings.
Where would I go about looking for these bargains?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
syncronized77

That's a bit of a throw-away board and boot setup. I found that in the early years of my riding, I progressed faster then (maybe because I was younger then lol), and when you progress faster, you'll see that the only thing that holds you back is your gear.

If I were you now that its the off season, I'd start scouring the forums, classifieds or eBay for deals on a decent deck and binding setup. For boots I'd go to your local shop. Because if its one thing that really sucks is buying a boot online and finding out that it's got pressure points when you lean this way or that way.

I'm surprised that a reputable shop like The House sells 5150 snowboards??

Last edited by syncronized77; 04-13-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
viebster

Sounds like good advice. I definitely know the whole entry level board thing. Im a big longboarder, and i know about picking gear, and i definitely don't want a board that I'll outgrow soon enough.

I've heard a lot of great things about The House, so I'd assume their packages would be good. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

check out sierrasnowboard.com, they still have a good selection of boards/binding available for 70%off. My first board was a 5150 Movement, didnt really have any complaints about it.... I can say that after riding my newer boards i dont.... think.... id ....go back to the 5150...just saying.

check evogear.com too

On another note. any recommendations for a longboard under 200? Just something to cruise around, good for speed and control(. Im having a hard time finding a local shop out here that carries them. So i may end up getting it from online retailer or just waiting till i go back to NY. Just unsure which length to get 6'0 165lbs. Thx in advance
Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
viebster

Ill check that out, thanks.

As for longboards, most purchases will happen online, since longboarding is mostly crap in stores.

Mile High Skates
KrackedSkulls.com

First board is really nice, the Earthwing superglider, for beginners to experts. The guy who runs the shop really knows his stuff and sets the boards up with the right components. This board is actually on my list next. (Board #4 lol) It's got a kicktail (like that of a skateboard) and a bit of flex.

Second board is from a custom builder, less known. He makes some quality boards, different style, more of a carving deck, has nice flex to it. You can add a layer of glass on the bottem to stiffen it up if you don't want so much flex. If you do go with this board, get the scimitar, an upgraded M1 basically. You can choose the length, im nearly 6' also, and I like a 40-42" board.

These are only two of many boards, two that stood out to me. Of these two, I'd go for the Earthwing superglider (as you can see i'm buying one. ) The advantage of the krackedskulls is the length option. The Earthwing is 38", where the scimitar ranges from 38-46".

Hope this helps. If you are looking for more information, Silverfishlongboarding . com is the place to go. It's the same forum style as this, longboarding style.

Last edited by viebster; 04-13-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanx, info definitly helped
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
bederboarder

If your looking for a low price progressive park board, look at the k2 WWW. It's twin tipped and pretty soft. A directional board is going to have a set back stance compared to a twin/centered stance board. The directional board will help you lift the nose of the board so you don't drag in powder. If your riding groomers don't worry about that. If your going to be in the park most of the time get a twin and just slide your stance back a little if your gonna cruise in some mellow powder.

You could probably find an older WWW for fairly cheap. they retail around the 360 range brand new. Just keep a look out for a nice board that will last you a while and you wont outgrow in a season.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
viebster

The problem i'm having is determining what board is good, what is bad.. It seems like every product is the best, according to the description.

So i'll be getting a symmetrical board, how exactly do you "slide you stance back"? Not exactly sure what you mean, is there a way to move the bindings back for a set back stance? Or are you simply saying position your weight back so you don't sink in powder.

Thanks guys.