Aus jap deck - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Aus jap deck

Hi everyone. Im looking to buy a deck at the end of the next australian season but im looking to get a 1 year old model for 4-5hundred on the net. I'll mainly be riding in aus but am currently planning a trip to japan in 2012 so i want to make sure i make the most of those conditions. I havn't really done any park stuff in the past but may in the future so probs looking for a ATFS deck. Looking at lib tech and gnu mainly, from what I've read the TRS btx sounds ok but i've only ridden hire boards and my current GNU carbon credit 150 so i thought id get other peoples opinions. I'm 19 but im a short ass if that changes your suggestions also. I don't know if a shorter narrower board would be better in the powder of japan?
Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.
Cheers,
Tim.
boarder boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

To get the best out of both Aus and Japan you kinda want 2 boards.

I have a typical all mountain board that is perfect for Australia but the first time I went to Japan I sank like a rock, for my second Japan holiday I picked up a powder board and i'm telling you it was the best money ive ever spent. Riding powder on an inadequate setup is frustrating and painful and a short narrow board is the complete opposite of what you want.

If you really want to get away with one board then a good all mountain reverse camber deck will be your best bet, there's plenty of them out there. But given you're not going to Japan until 2012 my recommendation is worry about a board that will handle Australian icey garbage well and expand your quiver to include a powder board for your Japan trip.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

When you say powder board what types of boards are you talking about? I get what you're saying about the short board concentrating my weight in 1 position but i am really not that heavy...like 58kgs. Does the flex of the board have an effect on performance in powder conditions?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

The main problems with riding in powder are nosediving, and sinking at low speed.

Outright float is helped by generally having a bigger board, while nosediving is helped by having a rockered board, wider nose width and a set back stance. Some of those characteristics that will offer benefits in powder will become a hinderance in Australian conditions, generally in the form of reduced edge grip on ice and slower edge to edge turning on groomers.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

^Yup!

I have been living in Japan for a year and today was my 29th day riding in Japan. I've had knee high powder at the end of March and chest deep in late January. And everything between. I actually looked forward to shitty spring slush so I could get back into jeans and ride the park rails. If you come to this country without a powder deck, you will be hating yourself. You will buy one over here. And it will be expensive since it's imported etc. There is no way you come to Japan without a pow board.

I just can't seem to shake the shackles of the City boy Blues
$Lindz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

A good all mountain board with reverse camber will be the best bet tho, rocker is enough to help a lot in powder. Just do your research, you don't want a squirrely rocker board that can't handle the icy crap we deal with in aus.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Smokin Boards

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I agree u need a powder board in Japan. There's no way u can have fun in their powder condition without one especially in mountains at aomori or Hokkaido

Through my one and half snowboard session there, I tried freestyle camber, freestyle rocker, tapered camber pow board and taper rocker pow board and I must say last choice is the best for Japan's snow condition. This season I still have a bit of a difficult time with my camber ns summit, also tried my c2 trice but it s still not good enough. I have a go at my friends malolo from this year and I must say that board is built for Japan. U wont regret getting that
ckang008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Im loving the read guys...this is why i joined this site. I guess my main concern with a pow deck is the size and the stance...given that im only short and the fact that i may not be able to ride it much to get used to it before japan. It may only take me a couple runs to suss it out so i might be worried about nothing there. Would the malolo be any good for aus conditions at all?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

My japan board is a malolo. Its good on groomers and stable at speed but unless the snow is deep it isn't particularly agile. As I was saying, a malolo will work ok in Australia but it's definitely not ideal. The difference between Australian and Japanese snow conditions is simply too vast for one board to slay them both.

Think where youre going to do most of your boarding, if it's aus then get a board that is geared toward those conditions, to use Burton as an example you could be well served with a custom (not the best for japan but excellent for aus) custom v rocker (better for powder than regular custom but a little less stable on ice) or maybe a supermodel (cambered with a tapered shape)

I definitely wouldn't recommend only getting a malolo. I have a malolo and a standard custom and the malolo basically won't ever see Australian snow because we only get a true powder day about once every 5 years. My custom is far better suited to our conditions.

Don't be worried about the unfarmiliar board either, if you can get down the mountain on one board you can in another.

It also depends on how good you are as a rider as well. Theres not a lot of point in getting a powder board if you aren't going to be going off piste or through the trees. If you're still sticking to groomers then dont concern yourself with a board you aren't going to really use.

Last edited by Reede; 04-18-2010 at 07:58 AM.