What board for an awkwardly shaped intermdiate? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dave8

Default What board for an awkwardly shaped intermdiate?

Hi! I have been snowboarding for 2/3 years and after renting boards I am looking to buy my own. I am 6ft 5' and weigh 175lbs, I have size 14 boots and want a board that will primarliy be able to charge down groomers with ease but one that won't compromise on the powder and in the park.

I was recommended an Artec Phenom 163cm due to it being extra wide for my boots, but I was concerned when I read that it is for Advanced to Expert riders and that it was mid/ stiff flex; I'm fairly good but still make mistakes and so would prefer a mid/ soft flex board around 158-164. I am interested in the
Burton Bullet
Burton Deuce
Burton Mayhem
Ride Antic
K2 Podium

are any of these right for me or are they right about the Phenom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You'll definitely want a wide board... any board that's not a wide is probably going to have you hanging WAY off the edges... (I'm an 11 and a half and I'm pretty close even with my duck stance on some boards).

I'd stay away from the Bullet, it's pretty flexible for a directional all mountain board (and to be honest, you'll outgrow it soon if not already).

The Ride Antic should be a pretty good choice (and it's in wides! ). It won't be anything amazing to be honest, but it should get the job done. The Ride Machete might be a good choice if you want to go a more park oriented route (it can still be taken on groomers, and it has a lowrize rocker so it might help out a bit on powder days) or if you'd rather focus a bit more on groomers and powder a Yukon (if you can find one) would be good. The Yukon is a Concept TMS, but in wide format.

The NeverSummer SL-R (or SL) sounds like it'd be a good fit, but it won't fit your boot size. You'll want it's wide brother, the Legacy-R. The only problem with this is that these are expensive compared to other boards at this time of year (and sometimes a hard find). While it'll be a bit stiffer than the SL, the Legacy-R should be playful enough to fuck around with in the park, stiff enough for groomers, and it has reverse camber so it'll be nice for float on powder days.

There's plenty of other choices for sure, but I'll let other people talk about it.

To be completely honest, however, most people buy at least two boards (one for freeriding (groomers/powder) and one for freestyle (park)). It's not a necessity, but it helps out a lot.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

K2 Slayblade

Smokin Boards KT-22

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

2011 Never Summer Heritage X in a 159

Your going to spend some money on it, but it will be the best bang for your buck.

I've ridden next years Heritage and it is an absolutely amazing board.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Whatever you get make sure its something with atleast a 26.5cm waist, maybe even need a 27cm...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No way... I wear a size 14 and I can ride a 260 waist width with no problems.

On Union Forces with a 23.5" width and a 15 -12 on the angles

Unless he's Euro carving he should be fine with a 260+
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're interested in the NS Legacy, let me know. I'm pretty sure a local shop has a Legacy demo board they're looking to sell and it's in great shape. I can't remember the size though. If you're interested, I'll give 'em a quick call. I've bought stuff from there before and they've hooked me up, so I'm sure they'll quote me their bottom dollar price. Probably somewhere in the $250 range.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
K2 Slayblade

Smokin Boards KT-22
I don't think the Slayblade would be the best choice for somebody who wants to do park stuff too...
wolfbaden6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

He said "....want a board that will primarliy be able to charge down groomers with ease but one that won't compromise on the powder and in the park."

I saw those bits and thought STIFF Board for speed control, Wide Board for floating on the POW. You don't normally get a park board that charges down groomers. The Slayblade is perfect for Charging down Groomers and in the Powder.

Usually the extra flex more enjoyed for Parks is not suitable for high speed chaging down the groomers. But please feel free to correct me if I am wrong

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dave8

Ok I've narrowed it down to 3/4 which would be best suited for me??(by the way I will be using it almost completely on European resorts which have a lot more groomers than in the US)

K2 Podium/ K2 brigade (they seem very similar)
Ride Antic
Burton Mayhem