Board Choice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Choice

I am looking for a recommendation on what board that would be okay for my skill level.

I am 5'4", 175lbs, size 7 boot, goofy stance. I went boarding for the first time at Sierra Lake Tahoe, CA and I was able to learn plowing heels and toes, do my J turns heel and toes and ride switch. These runs where mostly on green runs, but I was able to do a single blue run by the end of the day, but I was not as comfortable on that. I learned on my buddy's wife board, a Forum Star 146 camber board. I have been reading on the forums, and in several magazines that a beginner will benefit from a reverse camber board and will have an easier time learning and growing on it. From what my buddies were saying, I should get a high end board with reverse camber and Magne Traction, they all ride GNU Park Pickle and Riders Choice. I don't have deep pockets like they do, so I am limited to a $200-$300 board, but I am willing to pay a little more if I have to. For my size the websites that I looked at say that I should be on a 154 board, but I was thinking maybe 150 or 152. I know that the options are unlimited, but I am just wanting to get opinions.

The following boards are some of the ones that I am contemplating on getting they are pretty much all over the board from reverse camber, standard camber, lowrise to freestyle and all mountain boards. So overwhelmed..

Forum - Destroyer, Destroyer Chillydog, Youngblood, Youngblood Chillydog, Image.

Flow - Era

Ride - Machete, DH2

Rossignol - Scope, Decoy

Salomon - Salvatore Sanchez, Sanchez, Drift, Ace

K2 - Brigade, WWW Rocker, Darkstar, Turbo Dream

Thanks for the help.
Dayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Softer boards will be great to learn on and will be great in parks. However, they won't be so great if you become a freeriding addict.

I'm a freerider myself so my choices for you will be geared towards all-mountain

Ride: Machete <-- Even though this is one of the softer Rides, it is medium flex in general. This board is freestyle oriented, but is also a great all-mountain stick. I loved it.

K2: Turbo Dream is hands down the best out of your list. I would be torn between this board an a SlayBlade.

Another board to consider is the Burton Custom V-Rocker. Great all-around board.

One thing to consider when looking into rocker tech is the profile. Lower profile rockers are the best choice for beginners. They are forgiving while maintaining stability. The boards above have a low profile rocker except for the Slayblade which has no camber at all. All great boards.

If you are unsure of whether or not you will hit the park, the Ride Machete and Burton Custom is your best bet. If you have 0 desire for park, go with the Turbo Dream or SlayBlade. Not that these boards are horrible in the park by any means.

FYI: Even if you are sure about something now, it is highly likely that it will change as you progress. Don't sweat it. Everyone needs a couple of boards in their quiver.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't comment on the boards, I really only know what I've ridden, but, if you end up thinking Burton Custom V-Rocker know that most (if not all) new Burton are going to be set up for Burton's binding system.

I don't know if you can get plates for "regular" bindings.

If the profile and such of the Custom V-Rocker appeal to you (not to be a shill) check out the Sierra Reverse Crew. At $299 it makes your price point.

It's going to be tough finding a Machete.
sangsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You can get conversion plates for the Burton ICS system.

I forgot to mention, 154 is on the shorter end of the spectrum for you. 150-154 is park riding size for you.

I think you'll be more comfortable on a 156.

K2 Turbo Dream Snowboard - '09/'10 at REI.com

K2 Turbo Dream > Sierra Crew
Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

turbo dream is one of the best boards i have ever ridden for park/mountain
TeamSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey Guys,

Thank You for the replies. I have read a lot of great reviews of the Burton Custom V Rocker, but sort of shied away from Burton due to there EST binding setup and the cost. I wanted to stay with standard binding to have more flexibility with board choices. Really great information on your replies to consider. I am not sure if I will be doing to much park stuff, I will be mostly on all mountain groomed runs or when there is fresh powder at the ski resort. Wow, I didn't even consider a 156 size board. I thought it would be to big and heavy for me to maneuver on the mountain. One of my buddy that is about same height and weight rides a 153 GNU Park Pickle, unfortunately I was not able to test ride his board because his binding were to big. Well, I will take all your opinions into consideration. My buddies are beginners as well so their knowledge on different boards are limited.

How is the Sierra Snowboards compared to the band snowboards. I have read the reviews on their website and have great things to say about the board.

Wow, the price for the K2 Turbo Dream 156 at REI is a great deal. Also saw a GNU Riders Choice 154.5 on sale at REI. Decisions, decisions.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Worth reading:

Snowboard selection
Officer Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies. I am going for the K2 Turbo Dream 156cm. I did take a look at a 156cm size board at my local shop and it measured up to my forehead ( almost as tall as me..), way passed the nose and chin guide lines. After looking at K2's website the 156cm is rated for my weight. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayten View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I am going for the K2 Turbo Dream 156cm. I did take a look at a 156cm size board at my local shop and it measured up to my forehead ( almost as tall as me..), way passed the nose and chin guide lines. After looking at K2's website the 156cm is rated for my weight. Thanks again.
That's a good choice. Height plays a minimal role in your board sizing. As long as the board accommodates your stance, you are fine. Unless you are exceptionally tall or short for your weight, height won't matter much.

You have to remember, not everyone's nose, neck, chin, etc... are in the same position even when you are comparing two people of the same height. This is why that board measurement stuff based on where it reaches on your head falls apart.

You could comfortably go down to a 154 if you wanted. But I will tell you this much, for all-mountain purposes, the 156 is better. Especially since that is the smallest size they carry anyway. It's a killer deal too. Shocking considering that it's from REI
Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Softer boards will be great to learn on and will be great in parks. However, they won't be so great if you become a freeriding addict.

I'm a freerider myself so my choices for you will be geared towards all-mountain

Ride: Machete <-- Even though this is one of the softer Rides, it is medium flex in general. This board is freestyle oriented, but is also a great all-mountain stick. I loved it.

K2: Turbo Dream is hands down the best out of your list. I would be torn between this board an a SlayBlade.

Another board to consider is the Burton Custom V-Rocker. Great all-around board.

One thing to consider when looking into rocker tech is the profile. Lower profile rockers are the best choice for beginners. They are forgiving while maintaining stability. The boards above have a low profile rocker except for the Slayblade which has no camber at all. All great boards.

If you are unsure of whether or not you will hit the park, the Ride Machete and Burton Custom is your best bet. If you have 0 desire for park, go with the Turbo Dream or SlayBlade. Not that these boards are horrible in the park by any means.

FYI: Even if you are sure about something now, it is highly likely that it will change as you progress. Don't sweat it. Everyone needs a couple of boards in their quiver.

i was also thinking of K2 Turbo Dream, actually between Ride Antic and that..

i know i will definitely hit the park.. once i'm good enough to freeride

in that case, you would rather recommend Ride Machete over K2 Turbo Dream? i'm likely to spend more time freeriding this season but i don't want to be changing board every season if i don't have to

sorry for the hijack by the way
collaboration is offline   Reply With Quote