Burton Vapor Wide vs. Burton Custom X Wide - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton Vapor Wide vs. Burton Custom X Wide

I'm planning a raid on the Burton store to get myself a new board. These two models are jumping off the wall. Anyone have any experience riding either one? What are the pros/cons for each? Thanks...
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you like to jib at all go with the custom. If you don't like to jib or don't jib then either could be a sweet ride. A little more detail on your style of riding would be useful but the jib question here should be your overlying decision maker as the Vapor is expensive and hard to fix not making it a really good jib stick.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Theres not a lot the vapor will do that the custom x wont be just as good at. As the above poster said, the custom is better suiterd to the park but the vapor is more geared towards freeriding (altho not by very much imo, the custom x is still a brilliant board for freeriding on)

The vapor is a very overbuilt and expensive board, it is a nice deck but not good value.

Travelling with a vapor would be nice tho, the thing is so light it would help a little with those baggage weight limits.

Last edited by Reede; 04-21-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have experience on both boards, but neither wide.

The custom X, lightning fast turns, super good at high speeds, but I would say a little to stiff for park.

The Vapor on the other hand is a lil bit softer, but can do everything that the custom X can. I would actually say the vapor would be better for the park
kquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

The park argument is more about it being crazy to hit rails on a board as expensive as the vapor. Capability wise you are right tho.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsnowboarder View Post
If you like to jib at all go with the custom. If you don't like to jib or don't jib then either could be a sweet ride. A little more detail on your style of riding would be useful but the jib question here should be your overlying decision maker as the Vapor is expensive and hard to fix not making it a really good jib stick.
I don't jib at all.

I mostly freeride, by a long shot, and spend a lot of that time on ungroomed areas.

That said, I would like to occasionally have a run at the kicker lines in the park without having any qualms about it.

I hope that helps?

I'm probably going to go for a 162... as I weigh nearly 80kg
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just for free-riding and the occasional park, look at the Burton Custom X or the Supermodel X. The supermodel X is a little better when you arent going at super high speeds, but want to have the same speed and response through pow. Its much more of a freestyle board, and definitely not park usable. The Custom X is a great powder board also and you can hit the park with it. It is a little stiff for rails though.

Burton's ICS system is great also. I dont know if it was just me, but I felt that the board had a lot better "feel" with the EST system
kquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetraveler View Post
I don't jib at all.

I mostly freeride, by a long shot, and spend a lot of that time on ungroomed areas.

That said, I would like to occasionally have a run at the kicker lines in the park without having any qualms about it.

I hope that helps?

I'm probably going to go for a 162... as I weigh nearly 80kg
Custom X is perfect for what you want, its a sick board to boost off kickers with as well as being an excellent freeride board.

I'd go a little shorter than 162, I weigh 85 kg's and my 158 Custom I feel is maybe 2cm's too short for hard charging but its good for everything else, I want a Custom X for my next board and if I get one I will be getting a 159ish length. Especially since you want a wide board, I'd keep it shorter than the 162 given your weight.

What size boots do you wear?

As nice as the Vapor is, I just don't see it being good value unless you drive a Ferrari.

Last edited by Reede; 04-22-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kquan View Post
The supermodel X is a little better when you arent going at super high speeds, but want to have the same speed and response through pow. Its much more of a freestyle board, and definitely not park usable.
hey kquan,

thanks for the input. i just can't make sense of this sentence: "its much more of a freestyle board, and definitely not park usable." isn't that a contradiction in terms?

to clarify, which one of the two is better for freeride + a little park?

...and you say supermodel X is better than custom X when you are not going really fast. is that because the supermodel X is less stiff?

thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reede View Post
Custom X is perfect for what you want, its a sick board to boost off kickers with as well as being an excellent freeride board.

I'd go a little shorter than 162, I weigh 85 kg's and my 158 Custom I feel is maybe 2cm's too short for hard charging but its good for everything else, I want a Custom X for my next board and if I get one I will be getting a 159ish length. Especially since you want a wide board, I'd keep it shorter than the 162 given your weight.

What size boots do you wear?

As nice as the Vapor is, I just don't see it being good value unless you drive a Ferrari.
hey Reede,

I agree the Vapor is pricey. I just had a feeling they will have some decent discounts at the store by the time I get down there (May).

In terms of length, I'm kind of going by the manufacturers guides on that one. Burton say the 159 wide custom X is for 59-81kg. With 80kg I am on the very top of that range. For the 162 wide custom x the guide is 68kg - 91kg. With 80kg I am smack bang in the middle of that range. To me it kinda seems more natural to go for the 162 in this case?

Boot size 12 (46 EU) but I'm gonna fit into 11.5 (45EU)