Lib tech darks series - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lib tech darks series

Hey,

I want to buy me for next season a Lib tech dark series wide 164, but has anyone has some experience with that board?
Is it a board that can be used for the everyday riding (55% just on the regular slopes, 25% in the park and 20% in the powder).
Can it do the job or do you recommand me another board?

Thanks
von schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

never tried it but from what i've heard it's a bit on the stiffer side. i recommend the t.rice more if you're gonna do any park. depends how stiff you're normally used to tho i guess.
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxi View Post
never tried it but from what i've heard it's a bit on the stiffer side. i recommend the t.rice more if you're gonna do any park. depends how stiff you're normally used to tho i guess.
T.Rice is actually pretty stiff for park too... GREAT on kickers and tabletops but definitely not a jib stick, even though Lib labels the 153 and 157 as 'jib specific'...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by von schnee View Post
Hey,

I want to buy me for next season a Lib tech dark series wide 164, but has anyone has some experience with that board?
Is it a board that can be used for the everyday riding (55% just on the regular slopes, 25% in the park and 20% in the powder).
Can it do the job or do you recommand me another board?

Thanks
It will be perfect for your riding style if u dont do much rails or boxes. It'll be pretty stable on slopes due to magnetraction and c2 , nice on kickers also because of magnetraction , c2 and stiffer flex and fine in powder because of stiffer flex ,setback and c2 . U can post ur weight/height maybe boot size if ur not sure in sizing.
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I bought this year's Dark Series C2 BTX in February. Although, I have only had the chance to ride it five times - being a dual degree med student offers very little free time =/ - I really love the board. I'd classify my riding style to be the almost identical to your style. I spend about 80% of my time on the mountain and 20% in the park, unless I'm in the rockies where I search out as much powder as I can find and all mountain action. I was looking for a board that I could rip as fast as possible, while being stable. I also wanted the board to be playful, and capable of riding switch. Although, I do not spend much time in the park, I spend about 30% of the time riding switch and maybe more as I have progressed considerably. I also wanted this board to stand up to powder and backcountry, and something that I could grow into as I improved my freestyle ability this year. I would say that this board fit the bill very well, and I tell everyone that this board is more of a freerider's freestyling board.

Extremely fast and stable: Check.
In terms of speed, this board is downright ballistic, while being incredibly stable. Imagine a Hummer with the speed and agility of a Ferrari. Where I used to ride very cautiously on chop, I can now plow through with reckless abandon without fear of catching and edge. This is largely due to the stiffness (quite stiff at a 7.5 out of 10) and the added camber on tip and tail.

Playful: Yes, but not a jib stick.
Although the Dark Series is twin-directional with a half-inch set back, it feels just as good in switch as it does forward. Although it is very stiff, it is torsionally agile, and can spin well due to the banana between the legs. It has NASA grade pop. Fucking scary pop! I have been freeriding for several years, but have been forced to learn freestyle since I have been living in Philadelphia and all that is available are the park heavy Poconos. Therefore, I was not ready for the power of pop on this board, it does take much to get stratospheric. This board was made with riders who stomp massive jumps in mind. However, due to being incredibly stiff, it doesn't butter or press well at all. I can butter it, but it requires a tremendous amount of force and won't be as fun as buttering a softer board.

Carving ability: Depends on who you ask. Personally, I think it is great.
If you are a traditionalist, who loves big, long, soulful carves, this may not be for you. Although, I haven't had a problem with carving this board in any length or manner. The magnetraction is the real deal. Due to the thin waist and org throttle plates, this board is extremely nimble and accelerates perfectly in and out of turns.

Powder: Still haven't had the opportunity to really test it.
This board seems to work well in moderate powder of a foot, and maybe two. However, I am not sure how it performs in epic or backcountry pow. Though, I can tell you that Lib Tech Ripper Eric Jackson used this board when shooting "Black Winter" and he seemed to perform well on it in backcountry pow. You can find the webisode on Lib Tech's site or YouTube. You will notice he is using the 158, which has a blue and yellow base.

Sizing:
I am 5'11" 185 pounds and I bought the Dark Series in a 161. I have ridden for about 5 years and have always been partial to freeriding. I literally spent no time in the park up until this season. I didn't expect to get into park as much as I did this year, so sometimes I think that I may have bought the board a little too large. I wonder if I would have been better off with 158, for more all-mountain purposes. Although, if I wanted a board that I could learn park with I would have just bought a Skate Banana.

If anything, this board is meant for an advanced and aggressive freestyle-freerider who likes to catch massive air all over the mountain and go very fast. I would definitely suggest this board for you.
billygold18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thanks BillyGold18, I'm considering this board or the T.Rice 161 next season. The speed issue was what I was wondering most about, I usually go down the mountain as fast as possible so your info helps!
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

No problem. Speed was my number 1 priority. I started riding sporadically years ago, but never was that into it until two seasons ago. I used to be pretty cheap about equipment until I started riding with an intense crew this year. These guys are savages. I realized that if I was gonna keep up it was time to get more serious about my equipment.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

yes thanks BillyGold1 for the advise. But you can't do rails and boxes with it?
Because I like to do them once in a while. Or is it just a little bit harder to do it with this board?

Thanks
von schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I can get on rails and boxes with it, but it isn't the most ideal board for that. However, keep in mind I am a long-time freerider, who really only got into park over the past season or two. Although, I have enough experience to tell you a softer board might be more ideal for rails and boxes.

I haven't ridden the Jamie Lynn Phoenix, however I have done my research on it. It is basically a stiff skate banana for all-mountain purposes. The Dark has a rating of 7.5 out of 10, where as the Jamie Lynn has a rating of 6.5 out of 10 (the Skate Banana is a 6). Next year's Jamie Lynn comes in C2. There is also the Lando Phoenix, which comes in 157W w/ flex 6.5 and 160 w/ flex of 7 and next year will have C2 and org throttle plates like the Dark. However, I hear this is more of an all-mountain/big-mountain board.