Gear suggestion.... #131245 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Post Gear suggestion.... #131245

I started snowboarding last year, but i managed to rack up some 70 days on snow by now. 3 weeks last season, and about 50 in this one. I used to skateboard, and i think i'm picking up snowboarding quite allright, despite having destroyed my knee ligaments.

I'm 6'2" and weight some 210lbs. I've been riding a nitro fuser 159w, forum faction bindings and northwave league boots.

I never had the opportunity to try anything else, my friends are usually much smaller and lighter than i am, and i was never able to demo anything. I plan spending the whole next season in the italian alps, in a resort thats mostly about freeriding, but i'd like to spend some time in the park as well.

I also plan to go to the US pretty soon and since everything is so... cheap... over there, i was thinking of buying a board or two, and possibly a spare set of bindings.

My friend is about one foot shorter than i am, and some 50lbs lighter, and he rides a board thats the same size as mine so i figure i'm doing something wrong. But then again he rides his freeride board in the park as much as in the powder.
The other one rides his very small skate banana when freeriding...

Basically i think it all comes down to just having a board strapped to your feet, but people keep convincing me that there is a huge difference when you gear up towards specific conditions, so i'd like to give it a shot.

I'm really interested in the magne-traction thing from skate banana, but don't know which board to choose. And if i understand correctly my bindings should be sort of freestylish, so if i want to try something else i should look for something stiffer?
pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

The board youre currently riding is a little on the shorter size more likely better at park.

What size boots you wear will determine whether you need to go wideboard or not. Generally US12 and up will
require a wide.

Youd want to look into all mountain boards like
NS SL-R or Legacy-R if you need the wide
LibTech TRS
K2 Slayblade
NS Heritage if you want to go more the freeride route
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
weipim

I totally agree with RaID, just want to add a few things:

1.if you are getting heel lift or uncomfy riding feedback on ur feet, then you should look to upgrade your boots first.
2. I guess you would like to have a freeride deck, then I will suggest you NS Heritage-R or Titan or Raptor for next year.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Since you're in Europe, maybe you can get to try some Bataleon boards? You can also take a look into Lib Tech T.Rice C2 which is an all mountain board. Some of the Never Summer mentioned also have gotten some good reviews. Ride Machete or next year's HighLife are also some you can take a look at
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My boots did quite a good job i would say, apart from lace snapping on both of them. I could feel the heel lift a tad, but nothing dreadful. The front of my feet could feel like moving a little bit, almost like the boots were too wide or something. When i was buying them i tried a pair of Forum Legend and i think they fit a little better, but maybe they were just a bit stiffer. I never got to try them riding since they sold them by the time i came back with the money.

People tell me that my boots are pretty soft, especially for a heavy guy like myself, and i've met a few people that despise northwave for being to fatty or something. I would get new boots as well since i'm bound to find a good deal in the states and i can probably bring them on a plane separately and for free.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Can you help me nail one thing at a time? I fear i might lose a toe strap on one of my bindings, but otherwise they'll probably last for seasons to come, what sort of bindings could i get as spare / different performance?

At one point i was looking at Ride CADs, but i've no idea how they compare to mine.

BTW, sorry for not mentioning, i have a size 11 northwaves, but usually i wear size 12 shoes.

So is it better to have a really good all mountain board, or get decent freeride and freestyle boards?

Again, i have no experience to make a benchmark. All i know is that it seems like i have to put a lot of effort to stay afloat and steer in powder, and when i ride really fast over uneven ground my board starts to wobble a lot. I remember it was declared to up to something like 70kg, and im more than 90 so it probably has some impact?

Would this one (162) suit me ok as an all mountain board?

Save on Lib Tech Trs MTX Snowboard 162 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Old 04-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
weipim

dude, ride CAD are awesome bindings, but u may or may not like it because of its stiffness. to be honest, if you tend to more freeride, get like rome targa/union force for a good compromise between response/comfy. if you really like ride, get spi
Old 04-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Let me start off with something...

Fuck everyone else's opinion, it's what you think that matters

Now, there's certainly some things that are better designed for certain areas, and hopefully we can steer you towards something you think will work better.

If what you have works as a freeride for you (sorry, I'm drunk and I can't check that setup for you), then stick with it and pick up a park specific board. I only have two freeride boards, and while I love Rico (RIde COntrol) and Franky McJay (atomic radon) both dearly, they aren't so hot in the park. So I'd get one for freeride and one for park specifically.

Now, in terms of a park board, I might check out K2's lineup. Almost all their boards have a wide variant that will help out with your shoe size. To be honest, I'm not completely sure if you'll need a wide with some of the boards, but I'd check that out in person. (There's the Darkstar if you'd prefer a board that can go all over the mountain and the Parkstar if you'd rather have a park specific board, from my understanding).
There's also the ever popular Neversummer series. Check their website ({ 2009.2010 Collection } Never Summer Industries). They have a park specific board that's a wide variant of the evo-r I believe (wildly acclaimed on this board, haha). NeverSummer boards are supposed to be built like tanks, so it should last you a while.

Binding wise...
Rome 390's. Ever popular freestyle bindings.
Ride Delta MVMNT (or whatever). These will probably be a bit stiffer than the Rome's, but Ride has its followers. And Aluminum is always a plus from me.
K2 has the Formulas which AngrySnowboarder (Burtonavenger on this forum) loves (but not next years, get this years). They're a do it all binding which might be nice if you're coming off of something stiff.
Burton has some shit. Be sure that whatever board you buy matches the system on the bindings.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pailhead View Post

Would this one (162) suit me ok as an all mountain board?

Save on Lib Tech Trs MTX Snowboard 162 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Yes this board looks is good for all mountain, you might want to decide if you want to go the reverse cambre way especially if you require some flotation in powder. The board is traditional cambre.

Read these to see which way youre more inclined.

The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories Explained
The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Camber Theories In Use
RaID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dammit, i forgot about this, i did notice that my friends have skate bananas that really look like... bananas.

Ok, let me stop pretending to be an advanced beginner, and go total noob for a moment. First a basic question:

Are forum faction free-style bindings, or anywhere near? My whole boot/binding setup seems pretty soft, so i was thinking of getting something stiffer. But then again, i know nothing...

And also, my intention was to look for this seasons, or even past seasons deals. I don't really need to be that up to date, i'd rather have two boards or some other peace of equipment, as I intend to get an arva kit and some body protection as well.

Last edited by pailhead; 04-30-2010 at 05:40 AM.