So I want to repair this used board I just bought... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
ShiftyMime

Default So I want to repair this used board I just bought...

I was cruising craigslist the other day and came across a used 2007 Jeremy Jones Burton board only, for $50. I went to pick it up today and of course, there's some damage to it. Actually compared to the board I'm riding now, which is three seasons used, there's a lot of minor damage. Most of the damage is minor scraping and gouges, but there's one area that concerns me.
On the nose there's a piece of edge thats missing, approximately two inches in length. So what I need from you guys is info; is this fixable? Can I go to a board shop and buy some edging to replace it? Or have a professional fix it? Or am I $50 out of luck?

Also on side note, what do you guys think of the deal? I'm not new to snowboarding but I've only really had two boards in my life and they were both beginner boards.

TY,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jjone.JPG (50.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg jjtwo.jpg (46.1 KB, 60 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

since its on the nose its not really that big a of deal. you can either take it into a shop and have them use a good flexible epoxy and clamp that down for a day or you can go to a hardware store and buy some epoxy to do it yourself. either way epoxy is what you want for something like that.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You could've found a better board for $50...

I'm doubtful you're going to fix that delam
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
ShiftyMime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
since its on the nose its not really that big a of deal. you can either take it into a shop and have them use a good flexible epoxy and clamp that down for a day or you can go to a hardware store and buy some epoxy to do it yourself. either way epoxy is what you want for something like that.
That was my first thought, but I wasn't sure if it would work... considering it's not just a split edge, the metal is completely missing in that area.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
ShiftyMime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
You could've found a better board for $50...

I'm doubtful you're going to fix that delam
Oh? Im curious on both the statements... would you elaborate?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you could've found a board without a delam or a busted edge for close to $50 if you were patient. Hell brand new sticks aren't a lot over $100 right now because of the sales. Just saying it would've been worth your money to save a little more and buy a new board at a discounted rate, or even a used board with no real issues. I personally think you got f'd, but that's my opinion.

And delam issues very rarely turn out good. Pretty much certain to be the death of a board in time, not to mention the busted edge... Chances of that issue causing even more delam is high.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
ShiftyMime

Hmm. Well the board is bought and there's no returning it, so I might as well use it for what I can. Do you think using epoxy with some replacement metal will help at all?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My advice, and I'm no mechanical engineer...

Epoxy the delam like Cro said, you can find tutorials and such.

And keep epoxy in the edgeless area. You may have to re apply it often as it could tear out easily...

Biggest thing is to make sure the board is 100% dry, and clean the edge area before epoxying.

Your best bet is to put the board up for sale for $50 and move along. You're going to waste money trying to fix this thing and your still going to have a piece of shit.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
ShiftyMime

I suppose that is the best advice I could get.. I'm just not convinced. If you knew the equipment I was using, and am using now, it goes without saying that this new board is with lack of better words, better. I strapped up my bindings the board, and even in its current state it feels so much nicer of a ride.
What I'm trying to stress is, I'm a beginning college student and don't have much money, and this board was supposed to be more of an alternative for myself and a loaner for a friend, than a replacement. You said I could have found a better deal on a website sale. So the question is, is the value of a more expensive board greater than the value of this board + what it cost to fix, and the extra cash?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyMime View Post
So the question is, is the value of a more expensive board greater than the value of this board + what it cost to fix, and the extra cash?
Yes... First off you would have a warranty. Sometimes you gotta spend money to make money.

I'm not sure if you understand how far the delam can go.... My point is that the delam will not stop, and it will continue to grow, making the board unrideable. The guy who sold you this board probably knew what was coming and got out from under it before it was completely ruined.

It's whatever though, if you don't ride a lot you may be just fine. I personally try to ride as much as possible and I don't like my gear being busted.