Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Do I really need to go wide? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/28255-do-i-really-need-go-wide.html)

T0aSty 05-05-2010 03:19 PM

Do I really need to go wide?

Hey Guys

Im new here and ive been checking out the site and havent found much on wide boards. So i have a question. I have a size 12 boot and weight 190 - 195lbs and need to know if I really or recommened to have a wide board? Ive been looking at the burton custom and the dude at my local shop says i dont need a wide but however others say i do. I know im on the border line for this so can you guys let me know what you think. Im looking for an all mnt board so thats why im looking into the custom. But any other board suggestions would be great. Trying to keep it short as possible for park but still wanna do your downhill groomers and powder. Was debating between 62, 58 or shorter. Please help me out :)

Christopher9 05-05-2010 04:57 PM

Being that you have a size 12 boot and that is usually the cutoff between wide and regular, you could probably go either way. Different boards have different width's, so some boards you might be fine on a regular while different boards you might need a wide. Your best bet would be to go your local shop and look at a bunch of boards and see how much toe hang you have.

Milo303 05-05-2010 04:59 PM

Depends on the board, and your stance/width

T0aSty 05-05-2010 05:15 PM

i was checking out the site and everyone seems to point to k2 slayers and pretty much any thing from never summer. Which would be a good fit for me for wanting a all mnt board... the burton, k2 or never summer? I normally ride 21, +15 +3.

gjsnowboarder 05-05-2010 05:31 PM

Go wide. Size 10- 11 is the actual typical cut-off between wide or normal boards. some companies make mid-wide boards that may work out for you. Having a wide board would allow you to stay shorter for park and still have flotation in the snow (wider boards have better snow displacment which allows for better float). For instance i'm 6' and weigh about 215-220. I went with a 159 wide Ride kink. If I was about 20 pounds lighter I might have gone even shorter. I can tell you from my experience that I had a blast in park, on groomers, and in the powder this last year.

Milo303 05-05-2010 06:54 PM

Never Summer Heritage XR

I've ridden the 2011, and it's amazing. The closest to a do it all board that I've ridden to date.

T0aSty 05-06-2010 12:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion! The Heritage seems like a good pick but its going to be top dollar. Im looking to get a this year model to take advantage of the sales. So straight up which one of these would be best for a do it all board? Custom, Slayblade or legacy? Custom seems like the easy pick and ive only heard good things. The Slayblade flat, no camber thing i dont know much about and it looks like it gets mixed reviews. The Legacy seems great but need more opinions with the new tech on it. Now casting votes ;) haha