thinking about a new board. ideas? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default thinking about a new board. ideas?

hey so i think i have outgrown my crail. i really dont want to get a new board, but the camber is waaay too flexy for my taste. the board barely floats on pow because of my weight. i was thinking about getting a new board, for somewhere around $300 for now. if i can get another $200, i will probably get a legacy-r.

the biggest problem with my current board is that i have A LOT of overhang. like an inch. it seriously pisses me off and my binding strap is all worn out from that after five times.

i'm 5' 7", 170 lbs, have huge feet, and my riding style is freestyle (i also bought this board back when i was only doing freeride). i was also thinking about some new bindings, probably rome targas or union forces. i would like a slightly longer board (possibly 158?) because by the winter i expect to be about six feet tall.

i am willing to wait until the next model year comes around, too.

i would like the board to be:
-reverse camber
-be able to accommodate my size 12 boots with little or no overhang
-be true twin
-be good all around the mountain: a park board might be better since i am in the northeast and the ice sucks shit. i think this is a stupid question, but are there any park boards that are good in pow, too? maybe if i size up will that help?
-be a good value

thanks for your help and i plan on adding to this list as i go. -josh
SPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

anyboard u get, get it in a wide so u dont have the overhand issue.........
Adrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you want a true twin then forget the Legacy and go for the Revolver.

True twins are not optimal for powder. For your price range look into Capita, K2 or Ride, but with all the deals that are about now just about anything.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

On the east coast, I'd go with the Revolver. It's just more fun. My Evo struggles a bit in really deep pow, but the Revolver should be a better since it's a wide version. I can still get through waist deep pow on my 158 Evo and I outweigh you by 10-15 pounds, so I wouldn't worry about it. It handles the ice decently and the only conditions where I really don't enjoy riding it are when the snow is really chopped up. Since it's rockered and soft, it gets pretty bouncy. Other than that and really deep pow, it's my go-to board.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i would think about capita, too. b.gilly, how much is the revolver at your shop?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZ View Post
i would think about capita, too. b.gilly, how much is the revolver at your shop?
Revolvers for the 2010/11 season run $489.99 Only going to be carrying a few wide boards this season. I know I have a couple revolvers coming in but my shop will not re open till mid October for the most part. Think there is a shop in Glen falls that sells NS boards also, they might be a bit closer unless you are out this way riding at Jiminy.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

ok, thanks. do you think that it is not worth buying the board unless i am also replacing my burton custom bindings? i probably would go out of my way, just to meet you in person finally
Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Anyone that says you can't ride a twin in pow is full of it a boards a board set back doesn't matter. I think Sky High or Outlaw in Rochester carries NS can't remember don't really care to either.

If you want some other options which is what you should have Ride DH2 Wide, K2 Parkstar Wide, Burton Joystick Wide, you could even do the Postermania or Pusher Wide from Rome, eh dig around on my site you'll probably find a review of a deck that has a wide counterpart. There's a ton of great wide options out there these days.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Anyone that says you can't ride a twin in pow is full of it a boards a board set back doesn't matter. I think Sky High or Outlaw in Rochester carries NS can't remember don't really care to either.

If you want some other options which is what you should have Ride DH2 Wide, K2 Parkstar Wide, Burton Joystick Wide, you could even do the Postermania or Pusher Wide from Rome, eh dig around on my site you'll probably find a review of a deck that has a wide counterpart. There's a ton of great wide options out there these days.
i'd even say a park pickle wide also!
Adrii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

First of all, even if you reach 6' by winter, but maintain your weight, you won't need a board as big as a 158. Especially if you are going to be freestyle. A 156w sounds like an excellent size for you even if you get taller and gain 10lbs.

Also, park boards sucking in powder is less of a problem nowadays with the vast selection of rockered boards. The rocker technology naturally greatly increases float in powder. Even on a true twin. If it does have less float, you can always set your bindings back for powder days. Just because it is a true twin, doesn't mean you have to stay centered on the board.

BA gave you some great suggestions. Out of his list, I would favor the Ride DH 2. Great freestyle board that you can take all-mountain as well.