Binding Opinions - Page 10 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #91 (permalink)
elementman711

two things...one the bindings you got are not the best....they dont even have toe caps on them....step up the game on your bindings man toe caps are a whole new world....and two i had a pair of 07 cartels and no cracking in them and trust me i put them to the test like no other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #92 (permalink)

I gotta say, this has been an interesting (and long) thread. Since I made it this far, I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

Since I'm relatively new to the game, I've only ridden my current setup: '08 Burton Air/Customs/Salomon Dialogues this season, and some random borrowed crap last season. I've had two problems with my Customs:

1) I cracked the plastic washer piece that bolts the highback to the chassis by putting pressure downwards on the top of the highback I think when I was leaning on it to get up. That was surprising 'cuz it really wasn't that much pressure. I'd have to chalk that up to poor design.

2) The holes in the baseplate that the screws go through have worn to the point that they are no longer circles but like, oblong ovals. I suppose because I used to never tighten my screws until I felt my bindings get loose, so maybe that's from the binding moving around. I learned my lesson from that: check screws before every session.

So if you ask me, I'd say the Customs are fine for a beginning rider or pure park stunting, but if you like to ride real hard then you'll wear the shit out of them. Not only that, but they're sketchy as hell on blacks, deep powder steeps, and pretty much anything that is gonna put undue stress on them. But then again what do you expect from a low-end freestyle binding.

I don't think people should hate on Burtons just 'cuz it's Burton/Nike/Starbucks/Walmart/whatever but take it on a case-by-case basis. Customs + hardcore freeriding = replacement parts. Get the best bindings specialized for what you're using it for and you'll probably be okay.

BTW, I've got a set of Ride RXs on the way -- can anybody tell me what they think about these? I was considering getting Cartels although they're a bit pricier, but wanted to try something other than Big Bad Burtons.
indoblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #93 (permalink)
elementman711

just to point out we were talking about the cartels....the customs are a few steps below the cartels but i had a set of custom brews on my strictly park board this year and i rode the hell out of them with 65 days in this season to date and havnt had a problem yet
Old 02-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #94 (permalink)
livelyjay

This was a very informative thread, and often at times reminds me of the bashing that happens on the Mitsubishi and Mazda forums. I agree with the philosophy that you can have a bad experience with stuff, get a review or story out there, and let everyone else decide if they are going with the same brand/model.

Since this is a thread about picking bindings, I thought I'd throw my questions in here. I haven't found a noob guide to bindings, and I am a big time noob. I bought my Salomon SP3 bindings 8 years ago and they are still pretty much new. I'm thinking next season I might get new ones just because technology has come a long way in 8 years. I was just at a store with a 50%-70% off blow out sale, but when I pick up a binding the only thing I notice is the weight and the padding. Everything else looks the same to me. I mostly free ride, but I like to get into the park every now and then and go off of jumps (no rails, pipes, etc .... yet). Other than that all the bindings look the same to me.

1) What are some of the things to look for? (how to distinguish good build quality)
2) What makes a binding more park/freeride friendly, and how can I tell when holding the binding?
3) I couldn't care less about brand names, I just want what's best for my riding style and hopefully get it at a good price.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementman711 View Post
just to point out we were talking about the cartels....the customs are a few steps below the cartels but i had a set of custom brews on my strictly park board this year and i rode the hell out of them with 65 days in this season to date and havnt had a problem yet
Well technically this thread was originally about Rome Targas/Union Force DLX/Burton P1, but in typical fashion it kinda derailed I was just giving my personal experience with Burtons since that what this thread seems to have turned into.

The broke piece I mentioned is actually common to the Cartel up to the Escapades, which my gf has on her board, and I suspect on all Burton bindings. Same thing with the baseplate, I think.
indoblazin is offline   Reply With Quote