Binding Opinions - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong, the Union's were super fresh, ultra light and very very comfortable, but that said both the Rome and Burton's were better. The P1's were a bit too flexy in the highback for my taste which is why the shop let me demo a set of C02's... i figured out it was them by looking at the pictures. I am super torn now though. I have basically narrowed down my selection to two pairs I really wasn't even considering until riding them. I have moral issues with both brands having had bad experiences with Burton in my past and with Flow as nice as they were I don't know if I'm ready to go that route. I will say I am super impressed with their build quality and I also bought my gf a Flow Infinia board for x-mas and it is absolutely sick...I like it better than my Rome! I don't know... The price of the Burton's has me leaning more towards the Flows and they were really super comfortable and responsive...
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

i have burton P1s and they are super sick.
very responsive but the highbacks are flexible
as you mentioned. i personally love my P1s, and
i like the flex cause its super forgiving
but still deals out tons of performance.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's why they suggested I try the CO2's...they have a stiffer highback than the P1's but have the same super cushy straps for the comfort factor. I really don't know what to do now though. I'm a little put off by the idea of riding flows eventhough they really were super comfy and uber responsive, that and The burton's are super adjustable, lighter and have the most comfortable straps I've ever used
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Smile Go Flow unless ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
That's why they suggested I try the CO2's...they have a stiffer highback than the P1's but have the same super cushy straps for the comfort factor. I really don't know what to do now though. I'm a little put off by the idea of riding flows eventhough they really were super comfy and uber responsive, that and The burton's are super adjustable, lighter and have the most comfortable straps I've ever used
you go back country, like to go freestyle on occasion, or only have the 1 binding for multiple boards. Personally, I ride Flows because of the responsiveness and no pressure points. However, I'm thinking about going strap because they are easier to set-up and reconfigure. BTW, I freeride and have only 1 binding but 3 boards.

Hope this helps - Nito
Nito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I can't really speak much on any other brands, but I gotta sya that after riding the burton cartel's, I don't think I'd ever pay full price for another binding that isnt just as light, and has a toe-strap cap.

That being said, when you demo'ed the burton's, did the forward lean adjustment screw keep backing off? not that it'd spin around completely, but even just 1/4 turn?... mine does for some odd reason, and its a bit of a pain, but other than that its no worries...

ps. I'll buy ur ride's off ya

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I didn't notice it on the P1's...I think they have a different set up though than the Cartels
Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
spxdcz

I ride Flows (not the NXTs, a couple of years old - pro 11 or something?) and tried the Targas a few weeks ago; definitely less comfortable than Flows (i.e. the pressure points of the straps, even after much adjustment, were definitely more noticable than the flows).

It'll be interesting to see what you go for though; I'm looking at getting some strapped bindings next week when I head up to Tahoe (I've just started riding off-piste powder properly, and from the one time I got stuck, I don't want to be using Flows in deep powder...), so let us know which way you go.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
Ok, so the time in the season has come for me to pick up some new bindings. I currently have SPi's on my Rome Flag and I love them, but I'm just looking for a change.

I've narrowed my choices down to three but am open to other educated suggestions. Here are the 3 I'm considering:

1. Rome Targa
2. Union Force DLX
3. Burton P1

I am predominantly a free rider at this point and love the responsiveness of my SPi's but am looking for something a bit more flexible for comfort factor. I've played with both the Targa's and the P1's and found them both to be outstanding, and I really never like Burton hard goods but the straps are super cushy and the base is flexible but not soft... The Targa is very similar to my SPi's but lighter, a bit more flexible and has a million adjustments.

I have not had had a chance to ride the Union's but have played with them in the store and every person I speak to about them freaking loves them so I'm definitely willing to check them out. Another outside option are the Flow NX-AT's but I'm pretty sure I want a true strap binding.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Well if you like your Ride Bindings but want something more flexible check out something from the mobility collection, Ride Delta Movement, Ride Beta Movement etc. They are specifically designed to be more flexible for park riding and are just as durable as the SPI, RX, Cad etc. It would really be worth checking out. I myself am also looking for a change and my #1 choice is going to be The Rome Targa if I don't go Ride Alpha etc. I looked at them yesterday at a local shop and the construction reminds me a lot of Ride but I've heard the straps are a little more comfy. My second choice would be Union as well. Burton does make a good binding but I just don't trust their shit. They just don't seem to be built as solid as my Rides are (a lot more plastic etc, and as Ride says, plastic is for TOYS!)

Ride Snowboards 07/08

Oh and I want dibs on the SPIs lol

Last edited by Mr. Right; 01-18-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

one word and 3 numbers

rome 390.

if you want to get into freestyle, you can adjust the binding to be softer by moving the straps around, and make them more responsive for freeride by doing the same. the customability of rome bindings are amazing, and i dont feel like im going to break the highback when i rotate it around a bit. other bindings highbacks, especially burton, feel cheap and flimsy so i dont even bother trying to rotate those.

plus you get a 2 year warranty on your rome bindings. the straps are so comfortable, and the rubber piece that goes between the base of the binding and the board pretty much eliminates any vibrations while riding, which is nice. i honestly cannot say enough good stuff about the bindings.

rome as a company is legit as hell too. i needed convertable disks so i could put my 390s on my burton, so i emailed rome, 2 days later they are at my house. same with some ladders for my older 390s last season.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right View Post
Well if you like your Ride Bindings but want something more flexible check out something from the mobility collection, Ride Delta Movement, Ride Beta Movement etc. They are specifically designed to be more flexible for park riding and are just as durable as the SPI, RX, Cad etc. It would really be worth checking out. I myself am also looking for a change and my #1 choice is going to be The Rome Targa if I don't go Ride Alpha etc. I looked at them yesterday at a local shop and the construction reminds me a lot of Ride but I've heard the straps are a little more comfy. My second choice would be Union as well. Burton does make a good binding but I just don't trust their shit. They just don't seem to be built as solid as my Rides are (a lot more plastic etc, and as Ride says, plastic is for TOYS!)

Ride Snowboards 07/08

Oh and I want dibs on the SPIs lol
The Targa was my #1 choice also and then I tried them and they were essentially the same as my SPi's. I just feel like I might as well just buy another pair of them if I'm going go there. I think you'll like the Unions better than the Targa when you try them, I did...

I looked at the other Rides and I'm intrigued but I just need to try another brand out... I just haven't decided which way to go. I also was prett impressed with the Bent Metal Biscuits I saw this week also. I'm trying to work out a demo for them tomorrow but I don't think the guy will let me do that.

In regards to the underpadding on the Rome Bindings, that's a Ride binding development, they've been doing that for like 5yrs + now and Burton does it also but on the Idiom which is the CO2 with the SZ top buckle.