question about flex - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Update! After I left around 90lbs on the center of the board for about 6 hours I noticed that the flex got little softer. Afterwards I got an iron put a cloth around it and ran it across the base of the board for a little bit with the weights still on it. Left the weights on there for about 5 minutes and took them off. And it has a little rocker now but it did dry the shit out of the base. So yes it does work.
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

could try a wet cloth with the iron, one post in the teton thread someone use that method and seemed to work. Got some spare time today might give some nose rocker a shot.

Note: From my understanding of epoxies (one year of research work), the outcome of this process depends mostly on the temperature that was used while in the press when first making the board. Epoxy is a plastic and with most plastics it will become softer when heated. When the epoxy is risen above the temperature it was first cured at (150f-180f with snowboards) it is able to make new cross-links (molecular bonding holding the epoxy together). When all has cooled these new cross-links will hold the new shape. If the epoxy gets too hot (above 400f) it will start to burn and break down, this will destroy your board. So reaching a temperature between those two is key. Using boiling water or a wet cloth and iron will keep temps lower and more consistent then direct heat from a heat gun.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea that's what i did i put a wet cloth to cover the iron and i ran it across my base and it worked
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

How long did you run the iron on the base?
and how long did you keep it in the clamps?
hondarider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i didnt use the clamps but i got 90 lbs of weight put it on the center of the board with each of it's tips on a chair and ran an iron across the base for about 5 minutes until it got pretty hot. I then pressed on the center of the board with my own weight for about 30 seconds and left the weights on the board. I suggest you should give it more time for it to permanently stick.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bah we used to make rockered skis and decks as a joke years ago. Flip the board over, put something that lifts the deck up from the center, tie down both ends, then heat it up. How you want to heat it is up to you. I found that leaving a torpedo heater on the deck did wonders, but we've used heat guns, irons, whatever. We also used to cut slits into the base width wise so it takes out material then when its heated it melts back together.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Now, go make that Super Pow board. Make sure you spray paint a red "S" in the middle of the board too.
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Just pulled mine off the clamps. Its definetely rockered. I would say its kind of like the Jibstick, close to being flat but comes up a tiny bit at the nose and tail. I used a heat gun. Im gunna rocker it more but this time im using a iron with a cloth underneath
hondarider17 is offline   Reply With Quote