Snowjam bindings and size issues - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oncnawan

Default Snowjam bindings and size issues

New poster, new boarder. I went snowboarding for the first time a couple of weeks ago at Whitetail (in PA). I'm looking forward to many more good times on the slopes.

I am 31 years old, 6'2" tall, weigh about 175lbs. and plan on just freeriding for the time being. I'm in the metro D.C. area, so I'll mostly be riding on the east coast, except for some possible trips to Utah. I have picked up some Solomon boots in a size 11.5 (I followed y'all's advice and picked the boot that felt the best) and a used Burton board (it is a more, ah, experienced board and will be replaced sooner than later, but for now, it will get me down the slope). Looking for bindings to complete my gear, I ran into a size issue - I am right between sizes.

I am looking at the Snowjam Aluminum Pro Bindings. The large fits boots up to size 11. The Extra Large fits boots size 11 and up. The XL seems to be the better choice, by a half a size, as per the manufacturer's terms. However, I have heard that Solomon boots have a slimmer form factor than other boots, so I am thinking that they might squeeze into the size Large. Why do I want size Large? It is available at a lower cost than the Extra Large.

Do manufacturers leave a little wiggle room in their size specifications? (Would a binding rated through size 11 fit an 11.5 anyway?) Irregarless, if your boot is right between binding sizes, would you rather have the smaller size, or the larger?

Also, does anyone have any experience with Snowjam bindings? I have read some people bashing their boards, but how are the bindings? If you don't recommend the Snowjam's, what binding would you recommend? (Below $65, I am not prepared to splash out the cash necessary to buy Rome 390's - the forum favorite.) Also, are aluminum bindings a good idea for a beginner?

As an aside, how long do bindings usually last (decent quality one's)? If I pick up higher quality bindings, will they last longer than the economy models?

Thanks for reading. I look forward to your thoughts.

Onc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
beastmar

Hey man. I have purchased snowjam bindings before. It was my first pair of bindings (they were zumas back then but now are snowjam). They were great beginner bindings. They held up pretty well too. Other than loose screws (a lot of bindings need tightening when used a lot), it was a great set of bindings. I have now given them to my younger brother and he enjoys them a lot. After 4 years of constant day to day snowboarding, it still holds up. I think that they are great beginner bindings. I do not know too much about the sizing issue though.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look into Ride LX/EX bindings also...very high quality for low $

and in terms of sizing, yes you could probably get away with the L but i'd still probably get the XL in case you keep the bindings longer than your boots last...
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Oncnawan

Default Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I'll pick up the Snowjams in XL.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

I think you are going to like those boots, everyone I know that rides Salomon boots loves them. Good to hear you had fun your first day and welcome to the forum.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oncnawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Right
I think you are going to like those boots, everyone I know that rides Salomon boots loves them. Good to hear you had fun your first day and welcome to the forum.
Thank you. I used the rental gear, including boots, when I was on the mountain, so I haven't got to use them yet. I took my 8-year-old son with me to ride. It was his birthday, so I took him to the slopes instead of to school, and we both took the beginner's snowboarding lesson together. Except for one hard knock on his noggin, he had a good time. We'll be back on the slopes again soon, especially seeing how he got a board, bindings and boots for Christmas.

What I would really like is to get a piece of whatever happened to the Rocky Mountains. Impressive precipitation.