Looking for a freeride/freestyle board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a freeride/freestyle board.

So, after doing some research it seems like board technology has really improved in the last 5 years,(how old my current board is) and it would be beneficial towards my snowboarding to get a new deck for this winter. I ride a 156 Atomic Hatchet, and this has really been the board I've gotten good on. I love this board, but I just never feel comfortable doing park stuff on it, and park is where I want to start excelling since my mountain riding is pretty maxed. I'm 5'7 and 145lbs, and I'm looking for a board that has alott of the new freestyle elements, but is still all mountain ridable since mountain riding is still mostly what I do,(Powder, trees, steeps, natural terrain). I'd like to keep the price tag under $400, but if you guys think a board is worth the money I can spend more. I'll probably be getting this board around Fall, or 2010/2011 season start.

I've been out of the tech loop for so long I'm open to all suggestions. The one board that seems promising from reading these forums and other reviews though is the NeverSummer SL-R. Nice graphics too.
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboMaster View Post
So, after doing some research it seems like board technology has really improved in the last 5 years,(how old my current board is) and it would be beneficial towards my snowboarding to get a new deck for this winter. I ride a 156 Atomic Hatchet, and this has really been the board I've gotten good on. I love this board, but I just never feel comfortable doing park stuff on it, and park is where I want to start excelling since [B]my mountain riding is pretty maxed[/B]. I'm 5'7 and 145lbs, and I'm looking for a board that has alott of the new freestyle elements, but is still all mountain ridable since mountain riding is still mostly what I do,(Powder, trees, steeps, natural terrain). I'd like to keep the price tag under $400, but if you guys think a board is worth the money I can spend more. I'll probably be getting this board around Fall, or 2010/2011 season start.

I've been out of the tech loop for so long I'm open to all suggestions. The one board that seems promising from reading these forums and other reviews though is the NeverSummer SL-R. Nice graphics too.
Well, damn, wouldn't you know... Terje Haakonsen has finally made it to the board!

All kidding aside, NS makes great boards, but if you're looking primarily park with all-mountain riding secondary, I'd go with the Evo over the SL.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You don't feel safe riding park on a board that's designed for park riding? that's you as a rider. Just find an all mountain freestyle board thats either a twin or directional twin and go slay it.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea ironic isn't it? Like you said the main thing is I just need to go out and start hitting it again, and again, and again. Anyways I'm open to more suggestions
Old 05-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I personally love the 2011 Never Summer Heritage.

It's a bit over your budget, but it's worth it.

I havn't ridden a million sticks in my days, but it's the Heritage is the most universal stick I've ridden. It might be a bit to soft for big POW riding, but I don't know. I havn't hit the deep stuff with one.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

We don't really get big pow here, it does this thing where we only get 2-12 inch storms really ever, but then you will get fresh pow everyday of the week, just not in large quantities. The el nino thing this year really screwed us over, we got warm weather but missed almost all of the west coast storms,(I board at Schweitzer, Sandpoint Idaho). I think we got slightly over half of our average snowfall, so there was alott of groomer days :X. I'm getting really stoked on NeverSummer though, every review I read is basically, "This board is sick, go buy it". Gonna have to start saving money, the SL-R is kinda what I'm leaning towards thought since I want to start killing park, but at the same time I don't want a park-only board. Well see.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The SL isn't park only...

The new topsheets are pretty sweet and youre not going to get that on the SL

Probably 2012, I would expect all of the NS sticks to have the new topsheet though.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

The only reason I'm not considering the Heritage that much is because it seems likes it's a bit stiffer and more freeride then I want. I've gotten really good at mountain riding on an older park-based board ironically, which doesn't bother me at all while mountain riding, so I don't think I wanna go stiffer then I already have if I'm gonna try to advance in park. The SL just seems a little more variable for doing both relatively well then one or the other. That's my reasoning at least.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Right on, just try and demo both.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have a board for sale in the classifieds, sounds like it may be what you are looking for. Soft, slightly directional all-mountain Dinosaurs will Die. Brand new. Well under $400.
anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote