Need help with my gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with my gear

Just started snowboarding last year, Got pretty good at it so im gonna buy some gear for next year while its still cheap. Prolly online i was wondering what you guys recommend.

Im 5ft 10in, 130 pounds,i wear size 11 boots and i ride all mountain. I need recommendations on everything boots, bindings, board, and helmet. i already got the goggles. Thought id ask the experts, all help is appreciated.

Oh yea and im a guy soooo yea. 15 if that makes a difference but next season ill be 16. (sorry for posting all this in the boards section i was confused)

Ok so i got my board! it's the Salomon official with Salomon Chief bindings!

Last edited by MN-Shredder-13; 06-15-2010 at 06:04 PM.
MN-Shredder-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How much are you looking to spend (on everything and individually)?

We can give you a bunch of recommendations, but that'll help narrow it down a lot.

One thing that I can tell you right now is that you're going to want to buy boots in store (or at least try them on, but I feel that's slightly unethical to try them on and then buy them somewhere else). It's pretty important to know if they'll feel right.
Also, buy a bit larger than what you need right now. At 15 you still probably have a lot of growing left to do (if not height wise, weight wise )
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

I prolly have a $800 dollar limit on everything (give or take $100)

ok that helps but id have to choose my board and bindings before the boots just to make sure they'll match.
i wear size 10.5 shoes but last time i was riding i got 11's but those were pretty good fit so prolly a 12 or 11.5 for next season. thanks by the way

for individually i'd say more on the board and bindings not so much on the boots or helmet seeing ill prolly get different ones sooner then the board and bindings. and i hear that bindings are very important to get good ones but i guess i wouldnt know whats your thoughts?

Last edited by MN-Shredder-13; 06-01-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

They'll tell you spend the most of your money on boots, if needed.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

The people at the store will or boots is where alot of the money should go??

Last edited by MN-Shredder-13; 06-01-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Boots are the most important piece of your kit for actual enjoyment of snowboarding...if your boots suck and are uncomfortable your season is going to blow... That's why you should both try on your boots in store before you buy and why you should spend the amount of money it takes for you to feel comfortable. That doesn't mean you should go buy the most expensive pair of boots out there, it means try on as many pairs as you can and buy the ones that fit the best to your foot regardless of what they cost.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just to add to Lise's comment, you need to be careful about "comfortable" boots. As a general rule of thumb, snowboard boots should not be comfortable out of the box. They all have this breaking-in stage in order to reach maximum comfort. Something that is comfortable right out of the box might become too loose as you get some days on them. Boots should fit snug when new. This means they should fit tight, but not tight to the point of being restricting. I would equate this feeling with wearing brand new dress shoes.

You have to make sure that your heel does not lift off the sole too much. Heel lift should be at the absolute minimum or none at all (the latter is highly preferable). You can test this by flexing the boot from heel to toe when you try it on.

As Lise already stated, you can have the best board and binding possible, but if you have a bad pair of boots, it makes them worthless. It will be the equivalent of driving in a Ferrari with solid plastic seats.

Higher prices does not necessarily mean that its a better boot. The best boot is one that fits your feet the best regardless of price.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys. im going to Saint cloud to a couple stores this weekend to try on boots that i like and get one then but i still need help on advice for which boards are good for me to get im a intermediate rider i would say so i need help on that before this weekend so i can match my board and bindings with my boots.
Need help on binding advice too. (helmet to but i dont think the helmet matters as much)

Last edited by MN-Shredder-13; 06-01-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ya definitely try on boots. Makes sure they are snug and there is no heel lift. I ended up buying a new pair of boots just after 4 times snowboarding because it doesn't fit well (which is a waste of money).
skip11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Board sizing wise, I'd say look in the 148-153 range. Shorter for more freestyle oriented riding and longer for more all-mountain or powder riding. For all-mountain, I'd do a 149 or 150 with your measurements.

I highly recommend getting a board that has an all-mountain rocker. This will be a board with a mellow rocker that will give you good float for the powder days while still being really playful on groomers.

My personal recommendations

K2: Turbo Dream <--- Number 1 choice, sick ass all-mountain board

Ride: Machete <---- This is a freestyle board, but it rocks all-mountain as well, Concept TMS

Burton: Joystick, Custom V-Rocker, Custom X <---- This one is fast and stiff so if you like bombing down runs this is for you

Lib Tech: Banana Magic <---- Expensive, but if you find one that is affordable, don't hesitate. Travis Rice C2 <---- Haven't personally demoed one yet, but I hear nothing but great things about it

As for bindings, you'll want to get bindings that match the board's flex. Softer board means softer bindings. You want all mountain so your boards will be in the medium-stiff range. You'll want bindings that flex in that range as well.

I personally favor Flow, Rome, or Ride bindings.

Flow: NXT-FSE <---- my current bindings, NXT-ATSE

Rome: Targa for all mountain, 390 for freestyle

Ride: Delta for freestyle, SPI all mountain.... I love both of these bindings