Buying a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying a new board

Hey i been snowboarding for 7 years now and im finally breaking down and gunna buy a board instead of rent. im 16 and im 5'10'' 135lb and was wondering what board you think would be the best for me. Im like an intermediate advanced rider and do mostly trails but will occasionally go into the park so im looking for an all mountain board. i was looking at the burton custom x 156 but hear its really stiff and idk how much that will afect my riding or if ill get used to it. i ride upstate ny and vermont mostly and im hoping to keep this board for a while so i want it to be good. any suggestions are great
Darkhelmet94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Custom X is a great all-mountain stick. The board is stiff so that means it will be a super fast board. The Custom X also has a very satisfying pop to it that will launch you off those kickers. Great board if you are an advanced rider.

As for your choice of size, 156 is big for you. However, you are only 16 so you are probably still gaining weight. 156 is a size you can definitely grow into. However, if you want a better size for now that will still be good whether or not you gain some more weight is like a 152-154.

Some other choices to consider are:

K2 Turbo Dream <---Excellent all mountain board.

Ride Machete <---Great twin, freestyle oriented board in the medium flexing range that can still slay all-mountain

Burton Joystick
Old 06-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

yea i definitely want to keep the board for prob 4 or 5 years before i buy a new one so i would like to get one that i can grow into. i just figured the 156 cause thats what alot of the sizing charts suggested for me. if you think the 154 would last me for that amount of years then i guess its a better option then though but i think id rather the longer one just cause i think ill prob get bigger in the next few years if you think i could still ride the 156 right now. and which board do you think would be the best on ice cause alot of times im riding on ice and i cant have a board that isnt good on the ice. also what about the custom v rocker or just the custom?

Last edited by Darkhelmet94; 06-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Darkhelmet94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
SnowboardBuzz

Custom X will be great choice, however its better if you take a trail and check for yourself which will be best for you.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ride DH is solid, give the DH2 a try to maybe
Old 06-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhelmet94 View Post
yea i definitely want to keep the board for prob 4 or 5 years before i buy a new one so i would like to get one that i can grow into. i just figured the 156 cause thats what alot of the sizing charts suggested for me. if you think the 154 would last me for that amount of years then i guess its a better option then though but i think id rather the longer one just cause i think ill prob get bigger in the next few years if you think i could still ride the 156 right now. and which board do you think would be the best on ice cause alot of times im riding on ice and i cant have a board that isnt good on the ice. also what about the custom v rocker or just the custom?
Dont get the V Rocker, its like a regular custom only bad on Ice and less stable. A small improvement in park capability is outweighed by the negatives and if you wanted to go the Burton RC route then a Joystick or Fix would serve you better.

I have a regular custom and my next board will be a Custom X, mostly because it is better on ice and my Custom has a bit of a dull feel in its tail, not very poppy at all for a cambered and moderately stiff board.

Also bear in mind if you get a premium Burton board you will need to get a set of ICS bindings as well, and that does limit your choices in the long run. I use this system tho and do like it a lot.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote