Arbor Vs Never Summer - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Arbor Vs Never Summer

Hey all! I have been snowboarding for around 8 years (do a few trips a season) and find myself wanting to upgrade my setup. I currently have a dynastar 152, Ride LS bindings and some type of Burton boots (they were around $100 8 years ago). I really enjoy just cruising down trails on the mountain and am not too interested in learning tricks and such. Based on the information on this forum, I see that I would want to go with a stiffer binding and board setup. I am looking at the Rome Targa bindings, K2 Maysis or Thraxis boots and this is where the dilemma occurs. I am undecided between a few boards. I really like the idea of NS camber/rocker combo and am looking at either the Heritage or Raptor. I am also looking at Arbor Element and Roundhouse. I am really unsure of what to buy, esp. considering that the Element and Roundhouse are around $200-$250 cheaper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is the information from the sticky. Thanks in advance!

Weight: 180lbs
Boot size: 12-13
Riding style: Generally All Mountain
Age: 24 (prob not growing taller but maybe putting on weight )
Budget: If something is clearly better than something else I will consider but around $500 max
Your location of riding: East Coast
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

(I'm assuming the Element and Roundhouse are from this year and are camber...)

I personally believe it all depends on how much powder you plan on riding. Arbor has a good reputation and I feel for trails that they would both be very good boards (and cheaper always helps).

If you plan on doing some or a lot of pow though, I'd choose the NeverSummer boards. You can for sure use the Arbor boards for powder as well, but the rocker will make it much easier. Plus, new technology is always fun!

To be honest, you'll probably love any of the four boards you choose since it'll be such a massive upgrade (no offense) from your current setup. If it was me, I'd probably go Neversummer (Raptor or Premier specifically), but that's mostly based off internet research and testimonials.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I am talking about the 2010 Arbors. Great point about the powder. Being in the northeast, and mostly riding VT mountains, there is a lot more groomed/man-made snow/ice than there is powder. There are large dumps of snow as well but the chances of me getting up to the mountain to take advantage of all of them are slim. Guess I will have to think about it more. The F1-R isn't as pricey as the Raptor though, so that could be a solid solution too. Thanks for bringing it up!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
mulp

id go with the f1-r if that matters. NS' build quality is top notch
Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Arbors are the shizz. The Roundhouse is a mid-wide though, so I'd skip it if you don't wear a big boot. I look at it more like Coda/Element vs. Heritage and A-Frame/Abacus vs. Raptor. Or go in-between with the Element/A-Frame vs. Premier. That's my take, anyways.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks a lot guys! Yea, I wear around a 12 boot I think (need to check the size as it has been a while since I went shopping for them). Do you guys think the new NS boards are worth waiting for/paying for? The new topcoat seems really nice.

Edit: Also, what size would you guys recommend for the board? I am looking at 159-163.

Last edited by Mirage; 06-17-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

I ride Targas on a 2010 Element. Love them both. I'll echo the earlier sentiment, when you're deciding between those two board companies you can't really go wrong, everything they make is superior and you will love it. Way to do your homework.

2010 Arbor Element
2010 Rome Targa
2011 NS Evo
2011 Rome 390 Boss
2009 Salomon F22
mwl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only thing I'd take into consideration with the NS boards is their take on Magnetraction which riding here in the east is definitely important. I was just looking at the roundhouse this past weekend and if I was going to go for another cambered board that would probably be the way I'd go. I've ridden Arbor's in the past and they've always been good performers. You won't go wrong either way but think about the edgehold factor a little bit. Another couple of options would be the GNU Riders Choice Wide BTX or the Lib Tech Skunk Ape BTX just to confuse your options a bit more ;-)
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personally I'd go with any of the Neversummer's mentioned. You really can't go wrong. Especially with the east coast riding you'll be doing, they are going to be more ideal than Arbor models.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just to throw it out there, should you decide to look at next season's Arbors, the Element will also be available in a rocker and have the Grip Tech sidecut. I've also heard next season's Coda, which is also going to be a rocker, is a really fun, lively all-mountain stick.
L3mnhead is offline   Reply With Quote