Park Pickle or Skate Banana and Sizing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jk-eighty5

Arrow Park Pickle or Skate Banana and Sizing

Hey everyone, I know this thread Topic has been done to death, but I need a few answers specific to me. My name is Jake and I'm just starting to snowboard, I surf and I used to skate, freebord and skimboard, so I'm hoping to improve at an alright pace. Any way I'm looking for an all mountain/ park board that will be ok to learn on and and that will let me progress. I've narrowed my 2 choice to the gnu park pickle and the lib tech skate banana. I like having good gear so I don't mind forking out a bit more. I'm not sure which board would be better for me? And wether to get a 156 or a 159? I've heard you can go down a size because of the rocker? I'm about 6" and 180 pounds (83kg). So what board and size do you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well Jake I can tell you this;

You are looking at two park specific boards but they will also work great throughout the mountain no matter the terrain. You never told us where you ride but I am going to assume you wont be up in the peaks learning to ride a snowboard for the first time. Both decks are pretty much similar seeing as the park pickle is an upgraded version of the skate banana. With that being said it also comes with a heftier price tag. From my own personal experience, it is not justified with the 'upgrades' over the skate banana but hey thats just me. Essentially the final deciding factor would be the price of each board so I will leave that up for you to choose.

Regarding sizing, I am of similar stature to you being 5'11 and 160lbs. I currently ride a 156 because I prefer a shorter board to help me spin faster. Although my riding style is contained to the park for the majority of the time because I don't have any 'real' mountains in my area For you I would suggest to base the size of your board on the type of riding you think you will be doing. I would suggest the 159 because you are a little heavier and taller than myself and it will ultimately provide you with a longer and stronger base to learn the basics of snowboarding.

Hope this helps!
CheckMySteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have a skate banana and i love the shit out of that board, when your picking a size, id personally chose the smaller one. Just because bigger boards are used more for powder and carving, but the reverse camber helps you float in pow, and going with the shorter one helps in park, which ends up giving you the best of both worlds if that makes any sence.
you'll love it either way though
myschims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jk-eighty5

Thanks guys, yeah I was leaning towards the 156, but wasn't sure. I'll be riding park mainly, I guess. Although I'd like a board that I could also take In the pow. I've was diggin the banana until I found out that the park pickle has al the same specs as the banana, plus it has a bigger heelside side cut making it easier to turn. So that's why I can't decide what's better. And as for the sizing I'm in a situation where I can get a 159 pickle pretty cheap. But if a 156 is going to be better I may aswell wait and see what else pops up. Any more opinions on sizing and the benefits of either the pickle or banana?