Fat person beginner board setup - advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
totalgeek

Default Fat person beginner board setup - advice

Well I tried doing some searches but it seems not many "fat" people snow board

I'm hooked and I'm looking into buying my own equipment. I just took my first lesson the other day, and I was carving down the mountain in no time. I posted a thread about it in the general forum. Here is what I'm getting, I read some threads in the forums about the equipment I'm thinking about, but, I have no hopes of turning "pro" or going "park". I just want to carve down the mountain. You'll see most of the reasons I want this stuff is "lazy", but I need to conserve energy because I'm fat. And another expense will be money because I'm just starting, if I break something, I don't know if I'll be back.

I'm 5'9" and 260+ pounds and 11.5 shoe size. Here is what I want to get, and my reason why:

* Salomon Solace boots. Quick laces, removable liner and easy to get in and out.
* K2 Cinch CTX(CTL) bindings. Easy in and out without having to bend over too much or plop on my butt. The problem with my snowboarding was I rented Burton boards and strapping in "killed" me. My gut was so much I couldn't bend over without cutting off my breath. I figure an simple system that allows me to click in and out would be great reduce the amount of energy I need to get ready.
* Lamar Cruiser Bronze now I haven't done a search on this board yet, but its cheap, not sintered, and seems to have decent reviews on GOOGLE. Since I'm beginning I want an all mountain board that will take me from beginner to intermediate and not break the bank. However, I need to determine if the board is wide enough to accomadate by bindings and boots. (Ok did a search and found out that most people upgrade this board after 1 season. If I only plan on going 16-20 times a season is it worth getting a better board especially when I'm so new?)

Well thats my setup any advice would be appreciated, well any advice besides "lose weight" I already know I need to.

Last edited by totalgeek; 01-07-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
eL.Snow.Boarder

Get boots in the store so you can try them on and get one that fits GOOD dont get it because of the features. Cant say much about anything else except lots of people (not all) say that click-ins are worse then strap-ins. I dont know why, Im just passing on information.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
totalgeek

Thanks, eL.Snow.Boarder, I have read that people don't like step-in and that is why I thought the K2 Cinch offered a good compromise, you have ratchet straps and easy in and out with strap features. I'm still reading most of the thread that are coming back about them, but its either that or FLOWS, but I hear more negative from flows. As I stated if it allows me to carve then I'm happy, I don't think I'll every do pipe or freestyle.

Most definetly I will try the boots in store, again I like the fact that it has a quick tie system. I will be happy and consider my goal of snowboarding complete when I can hit intermediate runs. Being old and fat I don't think I can change my metabolism to lose weight at this stage.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
PapaWood

Most boards should have a weight range listed on the manufacturers site. Other than that, you don't really need any special kind of set up because your "fat". Make sure you research all your stuff well and try out as much stuff as you can before you purchase. Have fun riding!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
totalgeek

Thanks, everyone!

This is directed to mpdsnowman, your son is around my size. He doesn't have a problem strapping in? Maybe its my clothes then thats preventing me from strapping in without feeling tired. I like the price range your son's setup is in especially since I'm just starting. I'm definetly going to look at the board because I would much prefer a better board for the buck.

Does your son have any tips on strapping in? I really wonder if its just my clothes preventing me from breathing.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I too was in your position prior to losing weight. I was a 6'2" 350lb snowboarder so you are not alone! Even now I'm like 240-50 so don't stress just enjoy the sport! In terms of boards I actually may have something for you if you're open to a slightly used board. I have an Avalanche Classic wide I believe it's called and I believe it's a 167. I coupld probably get it to you for $100 shipped if your interested let me know and I'll get you some pictures.

In terms of bindings I ride regular strap bindings and always have. I am pretty advanced in terms of riding having been doing it for 10+yrs now both fat and thin and I know what you're saying about strapping in being a pain in the ass. That said I can strap in without sitting down and I am still looking at going with a pair of flows. The Cinch's are not the way to go if you are looking for a non-traditional binding setup. The Flows are much better, lighter and more comfortable than the cinch's in fact the NXT-AT's are possibly the most comfortable binding I've ever used so don't worry about what other people say about them, calling them gay and whatever they haven't used them so they don't know. I say this because I once thought the same way until trying them.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
totalgeek

THanks, lisevolution, I wish I read this post sooner, was looking at some used boards, but have someone from Craigslist locally, if that doesn't pan out I'll inquire more about your offer. I may have to reconsider the FLOWs I looked at them but it seemed to stray too far from the strap binding which the K2s do not because its a strap with a heelback that just drops. Thanks for the encouragment I'm looking to go up again the weekend after this, have work stuff to do this weekend, and I can't wait!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'll second the promo for the FLOWS. I have a set of the Flow NXT ATs and have had a couple people, who had cinches, commented on how they wish the highback tipped back further like the Flows. I would at least look at the Flows before you rule them out. They are the most comfortable binding I have ever used and once you have them dialed in for your boots, they are butter.
Grimdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
yso

to help with strapping in, work on your flexibility. i used to have the same issues. then i started a stretching routine and have no problems now.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
I too was in your position prior to losing weight. I was a 6'2" 350lb snowboarder so you are not alone! Even now I'm like 240-50 so don't stress just enjoy the sport! In terms of boards I actually may have something for you if you're open to a slightly used board. I have an Avalanche Classic wide I believe it's called and I believe it's a 167. I coupld probably get it to you for $100 shipped if your interested let me know and I'll get you some pictures.

In terms of bindings I ride regular strap bindings and always have. I am pretty advanced in terms of riding having been doing it for 10+yrs now both fat and thin and I know what you're saying about strapping in being a pain in the ass. That said I can strap in without sitting down and I am still looking at going with a pair of flows. The Cinch's are not the way to go if you are looking for a non-traditional binding setup. The Flows are much better, lighter and more comfortable than the cinch's in fact the NXT-AT's are possibly the most comfortable binding I've ever used so don't worry about what other people say about them, calling them gay and whatever they haven't used them so they don't know. I say this because I once thought the same way until trying them.
I am in the 6' and 290lb-range with a size 11 men's shoe size - and I bought a 174 Never Summer Legacy according to the weight charts and it was impossible for me to control - it was just beyond. When I told a guy what length board I was trying to learn on he said "good luck" and told me to get like a 159. Would I snap that in half? What length should someone get if they don't want to go that fast? Sorry about the sidebar - just found someone (you) that would know the answer.
LanaLou212 is offline   Reply With Quote