Noob checking in... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Noob checking in...

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site & started snowboarding this past winter. I picked it up fairly quickly only because I have some experience wake boarding, and I've ski'd frequently before. By NO means am I trying to toot my own horn, just saying. Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade from my current board that I just bought this January (see sig). I didn't really have any problems with it, until I rode a demo board (K2 Brigade) and felt the difference. The K2 felt like it was 1/2 the weight of my Salomon, and just felt like it responded much better (it was a 152, not sure if the 1cm difference between it & my board would make that much of a difference). I've researched that board & I guess it's classified as a 'beginner' board, which is similar to my Salomon Ace's classification, if I'm correct. I'm looking for a board I can 'graduate into'. I'm usually on groomed runs, some ungroomed, and want to start learning to jump, but nothing too crazy. I've gone out to Breckenridge, CO & had a blast there & I'll definitely be going back. I've researched a few Burton boards (Supermodel X, Flying V) some NS boards (Evo, SLR, Legacy) and looked closely at the Salomon Special II board. I'm just wondering if I'm looking at the right stuff. I'm 5'9" and weigh 150. Not a big guy. I've found the best sizes for me range from 153-156 (correct me if I'm wrong). I prefer speed & carving over doing tricks, jumps, etc. Am I looking at the right stuff?

Last edited by gunner252; 07-15-2010 at 05:59 PM.
gunner252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I ride the exact same terrain and riding style you do; I was looking at similar boards as you last spring. NS is great you just have to decide if those boards are worth the extra money. If money is no object then buy one! I bought an Arbor Element 40% off this spring, it's a great all-mountain board geared more towards freeriding. Burtons are nice just depends if you like the ICS/EST system or not. Sierra Snowboard sells Burton built boards without the channel for a very good price. The Crew is basically a Burton Custom and the Reverse Crew is a Custom with reverse camber. They occasionally go on sale for 70% off if you keep an eye on them.

As far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with any of these companies for a well-built durable board -- just make sure it fits your riding style:
Burton, Arbor, NS, Rome, K2. I don't really ride park but people love Capita and Forum there. I have Rome bindings, their customer service is 2nd to none, and in my opinion if they fit you Salomon makes the best boots, and I'm not alone in that assertion.

Good luck!

2010 Arbor Element
2010 Rome Targa
2011 NS Evo
2011 Rome 390 Boss
2009 Salomon F22

Last edited by mwl001; 07-15-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Grammar!
mwl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've got Salomon Brigade boots & I love 'em. Keeping those & my Burton Doom bindings. Just looking to upgrade my board.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd skip the Supermodel X if I were you... probably going to be a bit too aggressive and stiff for someone who's only got 1 year under your belt. If you're looking at Burton go with a Custom and I believe they're giving it the Flying-V camber for this coming season. The SL-R from NS is the general consensus best all around board on this forum for what you're looking for assuming you don't have big feet than you'd be looking at the Legacy. Seriously though just about any all-mountain board from the major companies will be solid. I'm not a big fan of Burton because of some poor past history with them but the Custom is always a solid board. I'd definitely recommend Ride, Nitro and K2 over Burton if you're looking at bigger brand boards.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
I'd skip the Supermodel X if I were you... probably going to be a bit too aggressive and stiff for someone who's only got 1 year under your belt. If you're looking at Burton go with a Custom and I believe they're giving it the Flying-V camber for this coming season. The SL-R from NS is the general consensus best all around board on this forum for what you're looking for assuming you don't have big feet than you'd be looking at the Legacy. Seriously though just about any all-mountain board from the major companies will be solid. I'm not a big fan of Burton because of some poor past history with them but the Custom is always a solid board. I'd definitely recommend Ride, Nitro and K2 over Burton if you're looking at bigger brand boards.
Good to know, about the Supermodel X. I was looking on Burton's site & they did rate it a "7" out of 10 with regards to stiffness. And I think the Flying V (if I remember Burton's site correctly) says the 'bend' on the Flying V is a "rocker", which is where the Flying V name comes in, I think. I was really amazed at how much lighter that K2 was compared to my Salomon. It was so much easier to maneuver. That's what I'm looking for, mainly, something that comes in & out of turns a lot quicker than my Ace.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Flying-V technology puts a camber underfoot. Between the bindings, nose, and tail has rocker. It is actually great for people that have never ridden a rocker.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner252 View Post
Good to know, about the Supermodel X. I was looking on Burton's site & they did rate it a "7" out of 10 with regards to stiffness. And I think the Flying V (if I remember Burton's site correctly) says the 'bend' on the Flying V is a "rocker", which is where the Flying V name comes in, I think. I was really amazed at how much lighter that K2 was compared to my Salomon. It was so much easier to maneuver. That's what I'm looking for, mainly, something that comes in & out of turns a lot quicker than my Ace.
One thing you'll learn as you look into boards more and more is that every companies sitffness scale is different. What's a 7 for one company could be a 5 or a 10 for another. Supermodel is basically built for charging which is great if you're looking for that but if you're still trying to get your feet underneath you definitely look for something more forgiving.

I'm not shocked by the weight difference, it all comes down to the materials used and price point boards like the Ace generally will weigh more because they're made using cheaper materials hence the cheaper price. I'm not sure where you live but if you can try to demo a couple of the boards you're looking at because what we like may not be what you like...

As far as Leo's take on the Flying-V I haven't been on one of them yet so I can't speak from experience but I have seen mixed reviews thus far... It seems like it depends on the specific board they put it on and how that flex and sidecut profile reacts to the technology. I'm personally riding a Rome Flag which is the wide version of their Anthem. I love my board because it is super aggressive and fast but I'm getting old and lazy and want something a little softer and more fun which is why I'm debating between the NS Legacy and the Heritage X. I'm definitely not any specific brand fan-boy, I ride what I think fits my needs and has the tech I'm looking for. I've been at this for over 15 years now so just about every major company has been in my quiver at one time or another and like I said everyone makes quality boards these days as long as you try to avoid the really entry-level price point boards. I like the NS stuff because it's made here, has a 3yr warranty and packs a solid reputation. Another company that I've been looking into but have an even harder time finding in NY is Smokin'... they make some super slick decks.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution View Post
One thing you'll learn as you look into boards more and more is that every companies sitffness scale is different. What's a 7 for one company could be a 5 or a 10 for another. Supermodel is basically built for charging which is great if you're looking for that but if you're still trying to get your feet underneath you definitely look for something more forgiving.

I'm not shocked by the weight difference, it all comes down to the materials used and price point boards like the Ace generally will weigh more because they're made using cheaper materials hence the cheaper price. I'm not sure where you live but if you can try to demo a couple of the boards you're looking at because what we like may not be what you like...

As far as Leo's take on the Flying-V I haven't been on one of them yet so I can't speak from experience but I have seen mixed reviews thus far... It seems like it depends on the specific board they put it on and how that flex and sidecut profile reacts to the technology. I'm personally riding a Rome Flag which is the wide version of their Anthem. I love my board because it is super aggressive and fast but I'm getting old and lazy and want something a little softer and more fun which is why I'm debating between the NS Legacy and the Heritage X. I'm definitely not any specific brand fan-boy, I ride what I think fits my needs and has the tech I'm looking for. I've been at this for over 15 years now so just about every major company has been in my quiver at one time or another and like I said everyone makes quality boards these days as long as you try to avoid the really entry-level price point boards. I like the NS stuff because it's made here, has a 3yr warranty and packs a solid reputation. Another company that I've been looking into but have an even harder time finding in NY is Smokin'... they make some super slick decks.
I live in Minneapolis, MN. I'm not sure where to look or how to find when/where demo days are happening, but since The House is in the area I'm sure they'd be able to point me in the right direction. I've heard nothing but good things about NS, and I've read some posts where people have mentioned Smokin' too, and they sound pretty good. I'm not a big 'brand name' person either, but since I'm new to the game and looking for something more than an entry level board I'm just trying to do all my research first. I appreciate everyone's input so far! A board can look good on paper but if it doesnt feel right under your feet all the spec's & technology put into it are moot. Being able to demo a couple of boards would be a huge help.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Outrage88

I'm new to snowboarding aswell, looking at getting a Sierra crew but found a Burton supermodel for only $50 more, being that I'm only new what would you guys recommend?