Can women use small/soft mens snowboards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can women use small/soft mens snowboards?

Well the mrs has finally gotten into snowboarding.. coming from a skiing background.

Now i'm looking for a board for her.. but all the womens boards i've shown her she doesn't like the graphics.. and for a woman.. as u all may know.. it's 90% about how it looks.. she doesn't want any pink flower girly sh*t.. she really wants a pickle.. or a banana.. as she's been learning on my banana(*boom* *tish*)….

so what i wanna know what the differences are between a womens specific board and a shorter, softer mens board. The only thing i've been able to find is that they're narrower.. but my mrs feet are close to mine.. she's a 9 womens and i'm a 9.5 mens..

any help would be great…

el
elusiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

IMO, I think there won't be a noticeable difference so long as the board is sized for her weight.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Basically (and it's the same way with skis I believe, the Lindsay chick uses mens skis because they're stiffer and give her more speed), a women's board will just be a bit narrower and more flexible than a mens board. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing that says she can't use a mens board. If she likes your banana (), you might just want to get her her own, possibly sized down a bit in correspondence with her weight.

So basically, yes.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Snowfox has it right. If the board length is suitable to her weight and skill level, she'd be fine on a men's board. They are wider and stiffer (that's what she said), so lacking the power necessary to turn a stiff men's board or lacking the foot size for the waist would be two possible problems with a men's board. I have tiny feet and can't ride most women's boards, so I know first hand how foot size affects riding ability. Just have her measure her foot across the width of the waist to make sure it's a good fit (they should be about the same size).

That being said, men dominate the snowboarding scene, so I always suggest that women buy products made for women. The more we support that side of the industry, the more products will be available to us. It's pretty stupid for her to want a men's board because she doesn't like "pink girly sh*t" - there are PLENTY of women's boards out there with sick graphics. Check out the 2011 Never Summer and Arbor lines, for example.

Anyway, plenty of ladies ride the Skate Banana narrow.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

My girl rode a Burton Dominant for a season after riding a Burton (womens) Feelgood, and loved that the flex was softer on the dominant. Last season she took my Capita Indoor survival for a spin and loved that deck too...Hell I hope she doesn't steal it.
laz167 is offline   Reply With Quote