New board: Lib Tech or Never Summer - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board: Lib Tech or Never Summer

Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new all mountain board. I can spend up to around $600. I've been looking specifically at the Lib Tech TRS BTX 2010 and the Never Summer SL-R 2010 because I've read some really good reviews about both of them, and they both seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I basically want a reverse camber board that holds its edge pretty well in icy conditions (east coast) but also has some pop for jibbing/buttering. I'm pretty much a rookie at jibbing and buttering, but am looking to get more into it this season. Also, I read that the c2btx for Lib Tech is pretty sweet, but I didn't want to shelf out the extra $100 or so for the 2011 boards (I think it'll be on the TRS 2011) if it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I'm open to other suggestions besides those boards, those are just mainly the 2 I've been looking into most. Any information will help.
Scott2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Never Summer Heritage, no doubt....

The SL-R is slightly softer and more geared towards park than bigger riding.

I've ridden the 2011 Heritage and it's the most well rounded board I've ever ridden. Peep the reviews of it on this site.

But hands down the NS Heritage.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, so I basically have it narrowed down to the 2011 Never Summer SL and the 2011 NS Heritage. I've read a ton of reviews on both but am stuck. I really like the Heritage because you can bomb a hill and it switches edge to edge really well and also has some pop, and I really like the SL because it's still an all-mountain board but has a decent amount of pop to it as well (more so than the Heritage).

This might not make any sense but I can't think of any other way to write it ... Does the Heritage do better in the pop/ollie/butter aspect as compared to the SL's stability/edge to edge/speed aspect or vice versa? Or I guess another way to put it is like is the difference between the Heritage's stability/edge to edge/speed and the SL's same ability bigger or is the difference bigger between the SL's ability to pop/ollie/butter than that of the Heritage's?

Hopefully someone will understand what I'm trying to get at haha.
Scott2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

from a fellow northeaster, let me tell you that you might want to go with the sl-r. it is better to have a softer board on most the icy groomers that you find here. but if you know a secret pow stash, we would all love to know!
SPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Softer board for ice? That's not right..... If your board is soft and your riding on ice the board is just going to bend and do all kinds of crazy shit when the edges randomly dig into the ice. Sorry, but you're wrong about a soft board doing better on ice.

And the 2011 Heritage isn't stiff.... It's not a noodle, but it isn't stiff. It's a very middle of the road flex.

The Heritage and SL-R are fairly similar boards, the SL-R is just geared a little more towards park riding. And trust me you can butter the hell out of a Heritage and the pop is the smoothest I've ever felt on a board. But that's because of the R/C tech and the SL-R has the same tech in that regards.

Just trust me... If you're not into park, get the Heritage.

Another reason to get the 2011 Heritage is because of the new topsheet. That topsheet is going to last for a very very long time.... The SL-R doesn't have the new sheet until 2012 is my bet. I'm going to guess the entire NS line will have the new topsheet in 2012.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

when i was asking for information towards my next board, i was told that i would be better off having a softer board for groomers...
is there any thruth to this?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What is your previous board and what about it are you wanting to change to adapt to your riding?

The SL sounds fine for what you are looking for. The SL holds fine on ice and the edge to edge transition is great. The Heritage is a great board also but if you are looking to get more into butters and more park then would suggest the SL. The softer flex as slight as it is will be to your advantage with learning butters. You can still bomb the hill on an SL with no issues.

The vario grip edge on Never Summers boards hold very well on ice and cut right through the cords. So do not take the edge control into your thinking. I have tried the magne-traction and found it a bit to grabby myself so not the biggest fan of Lib tech(not a hater either though).

Not trying to steer you away from the Heritage, just want you to get on a board you are going to enjoy more. I do ride the Heritage Myself and love it for myself but Never Summer makes many versions of snowboards for a good reason, each one is geared towards certain types of riders.

edit- as for topsheets Barely had any scratches on my old heritage except for one from a collision. NS does a great job on topsheets they even shape the topsheet edges to help reduce the possibility of nicks.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop

Last edited by B.Gilly; 07-18-2010 at 12:38 PM.
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

coming from the man himself!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZ View Post
when i was asking for information towards my next board, i was told that i would be better off having a softer board for groomers...
is there any thruth to this?
Depends on what you want from the board. The Revolver is not going to impede you at all on our conditions. If you where going to be more of a carver then you would want a bit stiffer board. The softer boards are usually easier to initiate a turn for most but the main thing to look for for turn initiation is torisional(spelling?) flex.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ya it really depends on what you want to lean more towards.

Heritage is more for all over the mountain, SL-R is geared more towards park yet you can still take it all over. But don't mistake it, the Heritage can play in the park also, it's not a plank.

And yes a softer board is good for learning groomers but this kat never mentioned being a noob.

And he did say he wants an all mountain board which is why I'm pointing him more towards the Heritage rather then the SL-R

Atleast you've narrowed it down to Never Summer ( =