Yes..Another (I apologize) what board thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yes..Another (I apologize) what board thread

Due to the fact that I am married (to the most wonderful lady in the world BTW) I dont have a lot of control on the check book. Its a good thing because I am terrible with money. Because of that I need to find a board that will LAST! I am putting my ceiling on spending at $400 for a board (thats a high ceiling, would love to fall into like $200). For the right board that will get me through quite a few seasons I will spend the extra money. The fact that I have been out of the game for a while puts me in newb status when it comes to board knowledge. I have been reading up on websites and forums trying to gain some insight but there are too many damn opinions on too many different boards.

Here are some things I have narrowed down that I am looking for:

1. 152-154 (I am 5'8" 155)
2. Not Burton - Dont know why, just dont like em
3. Rocker/Reverse Camber/Banana.....whatever. It just seems easier to ride and more forgiving and since I am still an intermediate rider I think its a good choice.
4. Durable. I want to be able to ride this thing for a few years easy

My riding conditions are Mid Michigan hills with man made snow. I will hopefully head out west one week a year and up north a weekend or two. I would like something that can kill it all really (I know there is a give and take). Starting out getting real comfortable tackling fast carves and terrain changes then moving on to jumps and box/rail work.

Some companies that tickle my fancy are the Melvin brands (Lib Tech/Gnu), Capita (Green Machine spec.), Never Summer and K2. Lib's Magnetraction also peaks my interests as it seems like a forward thinking technology. I am an engineer by trade so techy stuff fascinates me.

I could go on forever but boards are really my bane as I have pretty much made up my mind on bindings and boots I know you have to try on to find good ones. HELP ME OUT!!
gls:maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I about the same size (5'6" and 160lbs) and wanted a board that would do everything you're talking about. Ended up buying a 2010 153 K2 Slayblade on sale. Have yet to use it but according to all the reviews it seems like a "true do-it-all" board. Good luck!
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestion and I certainly have not discounted K2 as a selection. I definitely had a soft spot for the fat bob back in the 90's when I was still "tearing it up" .

I did some more research last night and I am liking Ride, Gnu, Capita and Lib. Does anyone have any opinions on Palmer? I remember when they first came out they were the shiz but it seems that not many people are riding them these days. They too have a "rocker" camber set up so it keeps them in the running.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the magna-traction? Since I ride mainly Michigan hills, ice control is a big plus!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I rode a lot of Magna Traction here in Michigan. I've tried all of the male Mervin teched out boards... Rossi, Lib, and GNU. They all rode really well in Michigan ice. However, a lot of them lacked pop. I mean it wasn't bad by any means, but just noticeably less pop than compared to the likes of Ride boards. The top Mervin boards that stood out to me were:

Lib Tech: Banana Magic (Expensive, but if you do manage to see one within budget, get it! This board was absolutely a blast to ride.), Skate Banana (I think this board is overrated, but it is pretty damn decent. If you find one for cheap, I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.)

Rossi: One Magtek. All the boards I tried were 2011 so some things have changed. This one had combination rocker/camber. It was a great board to ride here in Michigan. This is a price point board which is shocking considering how much fun I had on it.

I didn't really like the GNU boards I rode. Especially the Park Pickle. I didn't notice anything outstanding about it at all.

Ride also makes great boards. If you are into regular camber, the DH is an absolute great ride. I still love regular camber boards and there will always be a place in my heart for them. The DH is a great camber board. The Machete and DH2 are also great boards. David Z here in Michigan rides the Machete.

I keep saying this next one everywhere, but the K2 Turbo Dream is a sick board. The rocker on this board is near perfect. The 2011 gets harshmellow which adds to the dampening factor for higher speeds.

Visit this site and see what we got. Otherwise, Froogle is your best friend

Snowboards
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

You should look into stepchild. I have a jibstick for a similar purpose and love it. I got it late in the season and didnt get to ride it too too much but did enough to tell you that I love it lol. I rode over in snowshoe which is the similar to what you ride im assuming Idk how much of their snow they make themselves though. When I was there it was mostly real snow. But anyway its a good reverse camber board. They are not making them next season though. Its being replaced sorta by joe sextons pro model i think. I think for your purposes its something to definitely look into. Good luck with your decision and I hope you like whatever board you get.
Edit: Forgot to say that because its not being made next season youd have to find a store that has some left over. But that means you could get one for a decent price.
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I did look into Stepchild but its hard to find a lot of info/review on them and I am a research junky when it comes to spending money on anything.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gls:maverick View Post
I did look into Stepchild but its hard to find a lot of info/review on them and I am a research junky when it comes to spending money on anything.
$Lindz$ posted a review on his and knows alot about it. Read his review and if you have any questions just ask and I will try to help you as best I can. $Lindz$ seems to know his shit about those boards so maybe he can help you out? Overall I agree there is not a lot of info about those boards. I was able to demo one first. If your not comfortable with one thats perfectly understandable and good luck in your decision.
luke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am open to anything really. Like I said, I have been out of the game for a long time and no matter how much research I do, there is either not enough information or too much (depending on board, binding, boot). So its hard to make an educated decision. I would go to a store and just feel things out but the mark up on stuff "in store" is usually rediculous.

I may do what I did with all of my backpacking and snowshoe gear and try stuff on in store and then bargain hunt online. I hate to do that because I like supporting local economy but its always so much cheaper!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Been looking into the Stepchild stuff. They don't seem to bad; I am really liking the Chi Borg Stepchild. Good price, rocker camber and good stance options. Plus no 80's influenced graffics and true twin shape. Its got pretty much what I am looking for. Now I just need to research it to death!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Maverick, Don Thomas Sport Haus in Birmingham is having a tent sale this weekend. Check it out. There's going to be tons of gear marked way down up to 80% off.

Don Thomas Sporthaus: