New powder/freestyle board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
holag

Default New powder/freestyle board?

I've been snowboarding for a while now and am looking to add an all-mountain/freesytle powder board to my quiver for throwing spins and trying new tricks in the powder and off-piste. I weigh 160-165lbs and my current snowboards include a 2008 162 Gnu Billy Goat and a 2008 O-matic Awesome 156...both regular camber. My Billy Goat is my designated powder board, but I have been finding myself missing the smaller size and weight of my Awesome when I'm trying to spin or throwing the board around in the trees. Dual camber has me very intrigued, and I am looking for a board with decent stability and float comparable to my Billy Goat but in a smaller size that will make it more playful and agile. Maybe the Never Summer SL 155 or 158? I have also heard good things about the Premier. My riding style is mostly aggressive and I love charging pillow lines, chutes, cliffs, and park booters...I typically prefer stiffer boards but I do love how playful the Awesome is. What boards would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Take a look at the NS Heritage... I was looking at the Legacy (wide SL) but all the reviews I've been reading and speaking with Vince from NS directly has me leaning in that direction myself. It's a little more free-ride oriented than the SL but more freestyle oriented than the premier.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Heritage is you want a do it all stick

The YES! Great Dudes of History if you want something a little stiffer

Also the Capita Black Death stick is going to be a sweet 2011 stick

Really you're going to be alright with any of those boards. If you're looking to do some big big jumps and a lot of deep POW riding, I would go with either the YES! or the Capita.

I'm personally getting the Heritage for my do it all stick next season
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
holag

All three of those look like really nice boards. I did some reading and the Capita in particular has sparked my interest. Just how much does the dual camber help with flotation? Would the 156 be a good size for powder or should I go bigger?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Jones All Mountain Twin

When I read what you are looking for the following board immediately springs to my mind:

The Mountain Twin | Description | Jones Snowboards

I can't say I have personally tried the board but old Jones had a few years experience of designing boards with Rossignol and now he's taken that to making his own snowboards.

A few weeks back I met a guy who works for Yes snowboards (under the influence of more than a few drinks) so my recollection is a bit hazy but, I do believe he said that Yes are the manufacturers of the Jones'.

If you end up looking into this product let me know because I'm curious and I haven't heard of any first hand experiences.

Cheers
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the billygoat is your pow dominating directional board, i'd be looking for true twin or something close in a 158-59 to help with the switch pow take offs and landings. Not to stiff ether, just a little longer and rockered version of the awesome to get more float. Whats your boot size, im a 10.5 and prefer wide or mid wide boards for the extra surface area. I'd look at the capita indoor fk, ride machete, Never Summer sl or legacy, lib trs, skunk ape (dual camber this year).
Old 07-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yes and jones are both under the nidecker company. They have been known for great construction for years. The jones mtn twin looks like a great board too. Brings up the RC vs camrock pow comparison?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am putting in another vote for the Heritage. This will definitely meet your needs. It is super light, Never Summer RC floats great in pow. This board can definitely handle big jumps as well. Grab it in a 158 and it will be a great compliment to your BGoat. BMJJ is my favorite rider and I wanted to grab a Jones, but I feel like those boards are almost just too much for your average rider. I am sure they are awesome for someone who is getting after it on big terrain, but living in NYC its just too much for me and I will be going for the SLR or Heritage to go along with my Premier
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote