So my girlfriend wants to get into snowboarding... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So my girlfriend wants to get into snowboarding...

Like the title says, my gf wants to get into snowboarding. I figure now would be a good time to pick up a clearance board. We live 45 minutes from a resort, so we'll go a lot. No point wasting money on rentals.

She knows how to ski. And she tried snowboarding a couple times before I met her, but never got used to turning. I'm thinking a reverse camber board might be easier for her to learn on. She's 5'3", 105 lbs.

Any suggestion on boards? And would you agree reverse camber is the way to go?
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My girlfriend likes the Never Summer Infinity. She has the 2008 model. The main thing she loves about it is that it is very light. Before that she had a secondhand saloman which used to pull her off the lift it was so heavy. She also like the Infinity graphics. May or may not be a concern to your girlfriend.
roremc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If she never quite got used to turning, I would get her more of a freestyle board to start out with. I weigh the same as her and ride a 141 and a 143. If she has small feet, waist width may also be a concern.

Some boards to consider:
Ride Compact
Burton Troop
Never Summer Pandora
Arbor Cadence
Atomic Fallen Angel
Capita Space Metal Fantasy
K2 Luna
Rome Vinyl
Gnu B-street or B-nice
Roxy Eminence or Ollie Pop

The Infinity is an excellent board, but may be tad on the stiff side for a timid learner.

Unfortunately, a lot of the clearance boards will be sold out of her size at this point, so you may have to compromise somewhere.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bought my gf an Arbor Push. She was on some POS foam core and was scared to turn when going down hills (i.e. falling leaf or snowplow). After this board she really took off and can keep up with everyone. I am not sure how often your gf will be snowboarding (mine skied before snowboarding and hasn't looked back) but if you can get one, it is an AMAZING board and she is very happy.
http://www.rei.com/product/790311
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try to get her up there every weekend. Plus "sick days" if there's fresh snow. Season passes are pretty reasonable here.

I was looking at the Arbor Push and Cadence, mostly because I ride an Arbor Element. I've heard nothing but good things about their women's boards, so I figure that's a safe choice.

So no opinions on reverse camber boards? I've never been on one, but I've heard they're easier to learn. She's not timed, but she is a little clumsy. I'm worried if she doesn't pick it up fast enough, she'll go back to skis.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have read that strictly RC boards make it hard to catch an edge in powder but give you less control while turning. I just purchased a NS Heritage because it seems to have the best of both worlds. That was kinda my take on the whole thing.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
I have read that strictly RC boards make it hard to catch an edge in powder but give you less control while turning. I just purchased a NS Heritage because it seems to have the best of both worlds. That was kinda my take on the whole thing.
Harder to catch an edge in powder, eh?

There is a debate about whether RC technology is good for beginners. Many people say it's nearly impossible to catch an edge on a reverse camber board, but in my experience, you can. Supposedly they are easier to ride, which may encourage bad habits.

If you want to make sure your girl has a good time, don't go too long and don't go too stiff. I think you'll find that Arbor boards don't come in her size and the Push in particularly is a very stiff freeride board. You can't go wrong with the NS Pandora, Capita Space Metal Fantasy, or the Gnu B-street, in my opinion.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ya know, that's actually a good point about RC for beginners. You can definitely get away with a lot of stuff on an RC that would have you catching an edge and eating shit on camber. I'd never really thought about it, but it could see how that could potentially lead to bad habits. I learned on standard camber and getting on an RC board for the first time was just crazy. All of a sudden it opened up a world of possibilities as far as freestyle stuff goes. Both have their places. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure that an RC's place is under the feet of a beginner.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you really want catch-free, TBT is absolutely the way to go. Nothing is as catchfree as a Bataleon, and I've ridden quite a few boards in various base shapes over the last few years. I got one for my gf last season and she loved it from day 1, being a beginner/intermediate. I've thought about getting her something else just to get something new, but she won't have it.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What's more important then getting her a nice board?

Having someone else teach her, that's what ( =
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote