good board for a short person? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default good board for a short person?

Hey guys,
So I'm definitely a beginner at snowboarding, but I'm thinking about investing in my own board.
The thing is, I'm about 5'0 and under 100lbs, so it looks like the only options for me are kids' boards.
I like the looks of the forum mini youngblood, but I don't know too much about snowboards and would like a second opinion. Are there any other recommendations?
Thanks!
unrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

There's girl on here named lilfoot i think and she can help you I'm sure

I'm pretty sure Capita makes boards tiny enough for you, and YES! also has the asian board which may fit you.

Never Summer may even have a stick small enough for you
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks! I checked out all three, and it seems like Capita is the only one that makes ones small enough.
They were a little pricier than I was looking for, but I'm open to buying used so I'll keep my eyes open.
I appreciate the tip-off
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Put your money down and back away from the kids' boards. Slowly, so nobody gets hurt. Seriously.

There are PLENTY of boards out there for those of small stature. At 100 pounds, you should be looking for boards between in the high 130's to low 140's range. I am 4 feet, 11 and three-quarters inches tall and weigh about 105. I find boards in the 141-144 range to be most comfortable for all-mountain riding, but everyone's different.

Park boards are offered in shorter lengths, so those will be your go-to boards, most likely.

I can't recommend children's gear at all, even though it is appealing because it's cheaper. It's cheaper because the quality is crap compared to adult boards. Children's gear is simply not made to support the strength and weight of an adult rider.

Are you female or male? I can recommend quite a few boards if you are female, the boys will have to chime in if you are male.

For me, shoe size was the biggest hurdle to riding well. I have tiny feet (size 4) and find most boards to be too wide, which makes turning much more difficult, especially if it's stiff. So always check your foot size against the waist of your board. Small feet will require softer boards.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would like to "put the money down and back away," I just really couldn't find any higher end boards my size. I measured myself and to hit between my chin and nose the board would need to be around 129-136 cm.
I am a female, but I tend to shy away from women's boards mainly because I can't stand the graphics. Which brings me to another question: assuming I did find a men's board in a suitable size for me, would it be a mistake to get it? From what I can tell the main differences are flex and width, but I'm very new to all of this.

And snowolf, I'll check those boards out and get back to you :]

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the help
Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You would be better off finding a chick board.... The graphics are covered with snow a lot of the time, and they don't make the board run any better or worse.

And the rule of landing between the nose and chin rule is old school these days and isn't an affective rule. Using your weight and what you intend to ride most is the way to judge what length you want to get.

Basically get a girls board in the low 140's if you can
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Okay, so after poking around a little more I think I'm liking the atomic tika and the lamar whisper, both in 139. Any opinions?

And milo, sorry if I sounded stupid, like I said I am new to all of this and before now the chin rule was the only one I had heard. Assuming I'm planning on riding all mountain, how do I size a board based on height and weight? Until I came here, everything I'd heard said that anything in the 140's would be too big for me.
Also, sorry if I'm going off topic with this, I'm just trying to learn
Old 07-25-2010, 12:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No men's boards for you. They would all be too long. There are plenty of women's boards out there with decent graphics, you just have to look around. With your height, skill level, and budget, you may not have much of a choice. Troll ebay and check all the big online retailers, or buy from a cheaper brand.

A lot of salespeople will tell you the chin rule, but they are wrong. In general, a snowboard doesn't care how tall you are, it cares about how much pressure you are putting on it. There is no real way to "measure" your correct length. Get something in the high 130's if you want to try park or are particularly timid, and go longer if you want to ride all-mountain. As I said, I weigh just a little more than you and I ride a 141 and a 143. We could go shorter, but we'd start to lose stability.

Some suitable boards. I have starred some favorites:
Atomic Tika 139
Gnu B-street 141
Capita Space Metal Fantasy 143*
K2 Luna or Lunatique 138, 142*
Rome Vinyl 143*
Ride Compact 143
Never Summer Pandora 140, 143
Burton Troop 141
Burton Lux 139, 143
Atomic Fallen Angel 141

Boards from companies like 5151, Liquid, LTD, and Lamar are generally inferior in quality to the boards listed above. That being said, they may be more within your budget and will suit a beginner just fine. If you purchase a cheaper board, it's probably something you'll want to replace in a few years as you progress. A decent board would probably start at around $300. Consider buying used to get a better quality board on a budget. I bought my Capita Space Metal Fantasy used from a private seller for less than $150 and it's a great board in great condition.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

For 2011 i think? they made a Capita horrorscope Fk called spacemetal for womens. Smallest board it comes in is a 143, might wanna check that out!

Last edited by hondarider17; 07-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.
hondarider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I definitely would consider myself a timid snowboarder, and I am far from athletic so I guess that's why I'm leaning towards a board in the smaller range.

It just seems like there is a big jump from the kids' boards available and the women's boards, with very few in the upper 30s range to choose from.
I guess the Atomic tika fits best with what I want?
I really love capita boards, i'm just afraid 143 is going to be a little more than I'm up for handling. Then again, if it's the board I'm going to be learning on I don't suppose it will matter too much.