Calf / Achilles Pain - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Calf / Achilles Pain

When I ride, my calf / achilles tendon on my lead leg eventually becomes very painful and throbs a little during the second half of the day. Iím able to ride a full day without any real impact on my riding ability but near the end it gets pretty painful.
The real problem is after Iím done riding. I can walk around okay with my boots on, but as soon as I take my boots off, it tightens up and I canít even push my heel to the floor. I have to walk on my toes for with that leg. The other leg is a little sore, but not too bad at all.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing it? My equipment, the way I ride, both? I am pretty athletic and in decent shape, but I have always been very inflexible.

Thanks!
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
mister_tu

I posted something in another thread somewhere on how you can condition your calves. But first you really want to stretch. Put your foot up against the wall and lean towards it so your stretching your ankle, achilles heel. You can also do this by just pulling your foot towards your body for an extended amount of time (30 seconds or so). Calf raises have helped me tremendously in riding. I never did it part of my gym routine but once I started boarding, I found it to be helpful. Lean all of your body weight on one foot and than slowly raise yourself like standing on your toes. Do about 10-15 reps about 3 times a day and you'll feel your calf muscle strenghten in the course of a couple weeks.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So this is fairly common? If its just a matter of stretching and strengthening my calf, I can do that. I was just worried there was something wrong with the way my boots / bindings fit or something wrong with the way I ride.

thanks!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
mister_tu

If you are experiencing pressure points from your boots, than you may feel some minor pain on your foot and ankle. However, if it is the calf muscle than it is from riding. People find out that they use muscles they never knew were even there when the board...i know i did.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Stretch before and after your boarding session. If your calves aren't up to the task then this may be why you're experiencing this type of pain. Imagine doing pushups all day...whatever muscles aren't conditioned for it will end up failing. As mentioned, pressure points will typically hurt your feet, but shouldn't affect your calves like you explained.

I've always had musclular calves and ran track all my life (up until graduating college) so I never had problems with my calves being sore from boarding. However...shins are a different story for me. After a summer off the first days back to boarding always play havoc on my shins
EC99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. It's good to know that it is probably just an matter of me stretching better and conditioning my calves. That's a lot easier than buying new boots or changing my riding style. The reason I thought it was more than just stiffness is because it is normally 500% worse in my front leg.

So I went up yesterday and tried to stretch a little more than normal (especially with my front leg) and I had absolutely no pain in my front leg. I had a little in my back leg, but nothing near what I normally have in my front.

I did adjust my stance a little (slightly more duck in the front) maybe that helped a bit.