Zero camber downsizing? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zero camber downsizing?

Does zero camber tech (e.g., K2 Flatline, Salomon Flat Profile, etc.) allow one to downsize board length vs. camber (for a given weight) due to the increased contact area. I guess it'll be easier to keep the nose up in pow but am wondering if performance in hardpack would be comparable to a longer, cambered board.

Thanks!
GeoFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't recommend downsizing like you would with a reverse board

And I do like the edge hold of my Capita Horrorscope FK

From my experience flat tech doesnt seem to work much better in POW then regular camber. I would put it in between regular and reverse which is kind of obvious actually.
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
I wouldn't recommend downsizing like you would with a reverse board

And I do like the edge hold of my Capita Horrorscope FK

From my experience flat tech doesnt seem to work much better in POW then regular camber. I would put it in between regular and reverse which is kind of obvious actually.
If the idea behind downsizing on a reverse camber board (i.e., rocker) is because of increased contact area(that results in more float for a given length vs. traditional camber)...wouldn't the same hold true for a zero cambered board?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You don't downsize with reverse camber that's just their marketing on it. Think about it you actually lose contact if you ride rocker due to the contact points being moved in from the tips. Zero camber is one giant contact point as you have nothing lifting the edges off the snow at all, think of it like a well broken in board. Ride zero camber with the size you normally would.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Actually, I was under the impression that you can downside with a rocker based on float. Meaning, you will have the same amount of float with a rocker 156 as you would with a camber 161.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Actually, I was under the impression that you can downside with a rocker based on float. Meaning, you will have the same amount of float with a rocker 156 as you would with a camber 161.
I think the idea is that if you're talking about powder riding, then yes, you can afford to downsize. If you're talking about everyday riding than you probably don't want to (as BurtonAvenger said, it makes sense that you wouldn't since the contact area has decreased).
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
You don't downsize with reverse camber that's just their marketing on it. Think about it you actually lose contact if you ride rocker due to the contact points being moved in from the tips. Zero camber is one giant contact point as you have nothing lifting the edges off the snow at all, think of it like a well broken in board. Ride zero camber with the size you normally would.
I thought the reverse camber downsizing guidelines was because of increased float too. Yes, cambered boards have contact points longer than reverse camber boards for a given length but I thought "float" was a function of contact area, not two points along the effective edge(like a cambered board). Rocker boards and zero camber boards would have more contact area vs. cambered boards.

Isn't increased contact area a good thing for all conditions (including powder and hardpack)?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It is because of float, and imo it's partly true

You can't go downsizing a ton but you can loose a couple clicks

The reverse boards just allow for easier float in the sense that it require as much leaning back to get the nose up

It's not really about surface area.... Just that more of the board is pointed up instead of just the very tips of the board
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
It is because of float, and imo it's partly true

You can't go downsizing a ton but you can loose a couple clicks

The reverse boards just allow for easier float in the sense that it require as much leaning back to get the nose up

It's not really about surface area.... Just that more of the board is pointed up instead of just the very tips of the board
Sounds reasonable to me for both alternative camber types with respect to float. Also, the increased surface area for both reverse camber and zero cambered boards should allow for easier turn initiation in all conditions.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well, I know my 158 Evo-R doesn't come anywhere close to providing the float that my cambered 160 Heritage does. 12" or less and it doesn't matter, but I'm reaching for the Heritage everytime on knee deep plus days.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote