Choosing the right board for the conditions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
doonparm

Default Choosing the right board for the conditions

Hey guys. Hoping i can pick your brains for some help. Im making the journey from australia to Big White (BC) this season (10/11). Im going to roll with a new setup. However i need to know what to expect so i can choose the right board and progress bigtime with my shred ability. When we have enough snow in Aus, i prefer back country, and i want to experience that in Canada. But because we dont get heaps of powder here, im stumped on what setup i should roll with.

Thoughts guys?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

U can pick one allmountain board which will be okay in the park and okay at backcountry. Wont be perfect for anything but still u can ride everything. Or u can pick one small soft twin park board and big stiff board with setback or even taper for pow and switch between them.
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonparm View Post
Hey guys. Hoping i can pick your brains for some help. Im making the journey from australia to Big White (BC) this season (10/11). Im going to roll with a new setup. However i need to know what to expect so i can choose the right board and progress bigtime with my shred ability. When we have enough snow in Aus, i prefer back country, and i want to experience that in Canada. But because we dont get heaps of powder here, im stumped on what setup i should roll with.

Thoughts guys?

Cheers

I've heard guys from Australia and New Zealand complain about how ridiculously expensive snowboarding equipment is over there. Canada and US should be a lot cheaper, especially if you don't mind buying last season's gear. If I were you I'd wait to get to Canada before buying a new setup. You should be able to get it much cheaper, you'll get advice from the locals about local conditions and you'll get an opportunity to test and experience it for yourself before you buy, which is the most important thing, IMO. There is also the added benefit of not lugging a snowboard half way across the globe, should you choose to leave the old setup at home.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of having one do-it-all setup. I'd earmark one board for park and jibbing (solid and cheap like Ride Kink) - something you won't feel bad about destroying on rails, wall rides etc, one long, wide momma for backcountry and powder and one stiff all-rounder for groomers and regular mountain assault (something along the lines of Burton Custom X - but there are cheaper options). You may find you can buy two or more boards (e.g. one big mountain and one park board) for the same amount you'd spend buying one board in Australia.
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
doonparm

thanks man. helps a lot. the board im riding now is super flexi. awesome for park. its fairly haggered now but im definitely going to hold on to it for those fun days around the mountain in aus! Its true about the prices for snow gear over here. Shops jack their prices through the roof, which almost kills the fun of it.

anyway thanks for the tips. got any boards in mind for back country?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

there is a few guys on here who have quite a bit of experience in the backcountry (Snowolf, Killclimbz and, I think, Shredlife come to mind). maybe you could leave a message in the backcountry section of the forum addressed to them or PM them for some ideas about which particular boards would be interesting... then take them boards out for a test ride to see what you think
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote