Maintenance For An Intermediate - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mendel

Default Maintenance For An Intermediate

So here's my problem:

I read online about waxing and edge repair that I should be doing more frequently than I currently do. And I wanted to find out from an online community if my repair/waxing is sufficient for my board.
Some post I read told me to describe where i ride and my stance and such forth.

I live in washington D.C. so I get HUNDREDS of feet of powder a year.
=D
Actually I havent rode on podwer in my life,
the nearest resorts are skiliberty/skiwhitetail/skiroundtop and I frequent each of these every year for the past 4 years.
I started snowboarding my freshman year of high school with a rental board all year. I got Burton Cruzer 155 the next year and I have been using that since(im not sure what year it is but ill add a pic of it later, I bought it during the summer of '05. I recently got Burton Cartel bindings and Moto boots for b-day, until then I used freestyle bindings with some crappy boot I got off e-bay. I ride regular +15/0 angles and no setback, I can also ride switch, but obviously not as comfortable at speeds. I love freeriding but occasionally(very rarely) I will hit the terrain park.

I started snowboarding without any of my friends doing it, no one to telling me how to keep it in shape. I don't remember really waxing at all my first year with the board, and the next year I bought some universal swix fluoro paste wax. Not that there were really any directions except wax and wipe with dry paper tower after done waxing in circular motion.... =[.

This past summer I got my board waxed/edged/tuned at a shop as it was in dire need. I go snowboarding at least once a week, I try twice some weekends and every single ice crystal(not snow crystal) is man made, if any of you are familiar with the mid-atlantic area. I know that manmade snow is alot harsher on your board than powder and so I'm concerned about my board, as my treatment is probably a crime in some of your minds. Please help me with some pointers and cheap solutions to taking care of my board. Also, I'm going to college next year so I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I hope to keep snowboarding for the next few years but I don't know.

I got the impression collected from several websites that I should be using iron on wax every 3 times I go snowboarding and I should use a paste(or something of better quality) inbetween iron waxings.

Sorry about length, I start typing and yeah....
thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I do a hot wax every 3-4 times, but avoid the paste wax, IMO it doesn't do anything to help lengthen the hot wax, and its gone by the second run of the day, and its expensive compared to a hot wax. Occasionally I will take the hard wax and rub it on the board when the edges start to get bare and I don't have time to give it a real wax
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mendel

could u send me a link or give me some easy steps for hot waxing, also like what iron i should buy(i know that a regular clothes iron wont do) and wax for slush(midatlantic) and other tools?

also, is is that crucial to hot wax 3-4 times? or is that just for peak performance?
but btw thx
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
could u send me a link or give me some easy steps for hot waxing, also like what iron i should buy(i know that a regular clothes iron wont do) and wax for slush(midatlantic) and other tools?

also, is is that crucial to hot wax 3-4 times? or is that just for peak performance?
but btw thx
There arae stickies at the top of this section that have all the maintenance info you need. http://http://www.snowboardingforum....ance-tips.html. you can use a regular iron as long as you don't use it to clothes anymore, I had an old one sitting around that works just fine. Waxing every 3-4 times is optimal, but you can look at your board and tell when it needs wax, the base will start looking dry. If you are snowboarding in sluch alot, then look for a warm weather wax
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mendel

i know it must be annoying as hell to be asked something that was already on the forum, but dont worry i didnt find the internet yesterday =D
i read that post, all 6 pages ><
and i was looking for more specific instructions like what kind of wax, manufacturer, fluoro/hydrocarbon, and like tools i need (minimum) to get a good result. also i saw videos(forgot the post but ill find it) of how to do it and NOT mess up.

so basically i was kinda getting obsessive about if im taking care of my board, ill put some pics up and tell me if im abusing the baby.

i lol'd at killclimbz board =D

also, i read multiple times that a regular iron is prone to mess up your board. the inconsistency of temperature seemed to wreck havok on some ppl, i remember the figure:
regular irons have +/- 40-50degrees of your intended temp while
those for snowboard waxing exclusively have a +/- 4-5degree range

im a senior in highschool w/o a job currently so im kinda strapped for cash, i read that blocks of wax are cheaper than pastes but i dont wanna spend more than 50 on an iron, around 30 would be nice but thats pushing it when you think about quality.

also, do i absolutely need any of those vices and grinding stones and other stones and shit that i see lists of? or can i just use wax,iron,scraper and be good to go?
btw does anyone know if i have a sintered or extruded base? and how i find out?

i enjoy speed and carving(which im getting better at), so do i really need to get a specific kind or wax a certain way?

yeah, thanks for replying to my long ass post, i got too much time schools boring ><
Old 01-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

OK. Take a step back and breath! Waxing is NOT rocket science!

For the actual wax, any cheap ski/snowboard stuff will work. All you need is an iron, wax, scraper and buffer. As for the iron temp, don't worry about it. As long as the wax isn't smoking, or you're not having a hard time dripping it on, it's not a big deal. For a cheap iron, go to a drug store, or what have you and just pick one up. To protect the holes from the wax, what I do is wrap a sheet of tin foil around the bottom and replace when it starts to rip.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree with boarderaholic. If you look around for deals, cheap irons can be had for $10-20. You might even try a goodwill and see if they have a used one. I just convinced my parents they needed a new iron and swiped the old one. In addition to the basics that boarderaholic recommended, I would get a tuning tool to keep your edges sharp. They can be had for less than $20, or probably less from ebay. Even a cheap metal file would work if you are just cleaning up burrs on the edges.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To get everything you'll need in one spot buy yourself the Dakine Super Tune kit. It comes with the Iron, Scrapers, Wax, P-Tex, File, Edge Tool, Wire Brush, Scotch Brite pad etc. It should be about $70-90 depending on where you get it. From there the only thing you'll need will be more wax for you board
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mendel

ok thanks
the super tune looks a bit overkill for my budget as well as my extra time

so im gonna go find my parents' old iron, or buy a cheap/used one
get some warm weather wax
get a scotch brite pad
and a scraper
and maybe a metal file.

that sounds like itll cost me 30-50 so thanks again
Old 01-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get all temp, not warm temp wax. It'll be forgiving enough to learn how to use, but won't feel sluggish should the temps be cooler out.
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote