How much better are better boards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Default How much better are better boards?

I know that a more expensive board is generally better than a cheaper one, but I'm wondering this: If I go from my current budget boards (Morrow Lithium and K2 Brigade) to an OMG board like an NS (we all like NS), am I on the first run going to scream "HOLY CRAP! HAVE I BEEN WASTING MY TIME!" or am I just going to notice incremental improvements in speed, maneuverability, etc.

How much of a difference did it make to you when you got your first OMG board?

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

for me it was a big improvment because i got a nice board that was actually the right size for me. Not sure if the board made as much of a difference as the size but for me it really was an "OMG ive been wasting my time" moment.
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't know if there really is such a thing as an OMG board. Every board I've gotten has had some things I like and some things I don't like and i've owned a butt-load of boards in my time. Some have more pop, some turn quicker, some charge faster etc. When I went from my old Yukon back down to a Decade a few years ago it was like WTF did I do that for but then when I swapped the Decade for my Flag it was like OK I remember what charging without getting tossed around feels like again.

You will definitely notice the differences but at the end of the day a snowboard is a snowboard is a snowboard.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I went from a cheap LTD board to an Arbor Element last year and the difference was night and day. The LTD was heavier, didn't hold an edge as well and was a lot slower through turns, which made me fall a lot. My first day on the element, I fell maybe 2 times and that was only because I was drunk.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Going from rentals to a legit board was a pretty noticeable improvement for me. I even noticed (although not as much) a difference between my Ride Control and Atomic Radon (two freeride boards).

I'll say you'll definitely notice an improvement, but it might not necessarily be an epiphany.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Pretty much anything decent will be a huge upgrade from what you're currently riding. You don't necessarily need to go to a $500-700 board right now.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not being one to demo boards I can say going from an 05dh/06Artifact(mine) and messing around with a 10eero (reg camber, cousins) to my revolver was day and night. I had the "holy fucking shit i've been missing out!" experience.

I'm not even kidding. I really wish riding felt this good for the past 10+ I've been doing it.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As far as the speed comment goes, yes it's noticeable, even getting off the lift if you've ridden an old board for awhile you'll feel a difference. I remember getting the K2 Wisdom (one of my favorite boards ever) a long while back and it was a holy shit moment in terms of the base coming from a cheaper plain ptex base. Even after 16 years or so of riding, the first thing I noticed on the slopes with my X8 was the glide of it while it had only been 3 years or so since the last stick. Hell, I use the same board for park as I do boarderx.

A lot of times people will have more confidence on a newer, high end board than on their old stick and that goes a long way in terms of learning. That specifically is all mental, but it can make a world of difference. Yes a newer board will hold an edge better, have better pop and probably be lighter as well. Camber hasn't been brought up in this thread yet, but you will immediately notice a difference in buttering and flex with reverse camber, rocker, whatever tech slang a company uses.
Deviant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just bought the 2011 Ride Highlife and I had a OMG moment on it last month when I first rode it. It is described as "Sick Fast" and it is well and truly sick fast. Still haven't mastered the low rise camber on it but it does feel completely different to my other board (Hammer Boroadline).

http://www.myfastec.com/videos/fastec-setup/
http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/
Cavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonX8 View Post
A lot of times people will have more confidence on a newer, high end board than on their old stick and that goes a long way in terms of learning. That specifically is all mental, but it can make a world of difference. Yes a newer board will hold an edge better, have better pop and probably be lighter as well. Camber hasn't been brought up in this thread yet, but you will immediately notice a difference in buttering and flex with reverse camber, rocker, whatever tech slang a company uses.
The difference betwen rental/cheapo and decent is pretty dramatic. That's what got me addicted to this sport.

The next step for me was the first day in a big mogul field on an RC board. Now I can't get enough!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote