what do you think, Rome 390's or Burton Cartel bindings? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
carne_asada

Default what do you think, Rome 390's or Burton Cartel bindings?

I just got a Ride Dose 162 and now looking for some new bindings. My current board is an old 160 Burton Custom w/Sims bindings from way back in 1998!!

I've been lurking around this forums and hearing about Rome 390's but was also checking out the Burton Cartels but was wondering about the foot strap vs toe straps?

I though about Flow's but heard mixed feedback from them and looking to spend no more than $250 for set of bindings.

Help a bruva out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
PapaWood

I haven't used 390s but a ton of people on here swear by them. They seem to very a very high quality, feature packed binding. I myself use an older pair of Burton Custome, have owned Cartels and also own a pair of Bent Metal Biscuits which I love.

As for your front binding strap, the one that goes over your toe is referred to as a "cap strap" whereas over the top of the foot is called "toestrap". The Rome 390s and a lot of other higher end bindings these days can be worn in either fashion. You can do the same with the new Cartels but you have to remove the strap to switch it up.

Last edited by PapaWood; 01-09-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
lucas.barwick

personally i'd go with the 390's, cause romes are awesome. I was gonna go with the 390's, but didn't have the money, so i got the arsenals instead and love them, my roommate has the 390's and loves them. The 390's are real light too.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
carne_asada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaWood View Post
I haven't used 390s but a ton of people on here swear by them. They seem to very a very high quality, feature packed binding. I myself use an older pair of Burton Custome, have owned Cartels and also own a pair of Bent Metal Biscuits which I love.

As for your front binding strap, the one that goes over your toe is referred to as a "cap strap" whereas over the top of the foot is called "toestrap". The Rome 390s and a lot of other higher end bindings these days can be worn in either fashion. You can do the same with the new Cartels but you have to remove the strap to switch it up.
Thanks, thats what I was comparing the two; the cap strap vs the conventional toe strap.

About the Cartels and some of the other Burton's, how did you like the high back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas.barwick View Post
personally i'd go with the 390's, cause romes are awesome. I was gonna go with the 390's, but didn't have the money, so i got the arsenals instead and love them, my roommate has the 390's and loves them. The 390's are real light too.
I did noticed the 390's being so popular was from surfing around on this forum. I was actually looking at the Rome Machine but found a smoking deal on the Dose!

What was the whole issue with Burton on this forum? This is my first time in roughly 10yrs that I'm shopping for new gear and I'm only 29 yrs old. I read several posts about Burton products... have they gotten too mainstream that they forgot about their roots?!?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
lucas.barwick

What was the whole issue with Burton on this forum? This is my first time in roughly 10yrs that I'm shopping for new gear and I'm only 29 yrs old. I read several posts about Burton products... have they gotten too mainstream that they forgot about their roots?!? [/QUOTE]

pretty much
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
berg

i got my 390s this season and will never be looking towards another binder, they're incredible. i look the toe strap on the 390s way more as a toe cap then the burton capstraps. the 390 straps have a much snugger fit. i've heard that romes customer support is awesome too.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
carne_asada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas.barwick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carne_asada
What was the whole issue with Burton on this forum? This is my first time in roughly 10yrs that I'm shopping for new gear and I'm only 29 yrs old. I read several posts about Burton products... have they gotten too mainstream that they forgot about their roots?!?
pretty much
Damn that sucks! I did read a couple reviews of the back plate breaking or something like that!?!

I haven't been keeping up with latest stuff and to finally dip in all the local shops and seeing names like Rome and Lib Tech along with great reviews was insane!

On the upside, Burton has made some pretty sick gear though

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg View Post
i got my 390s this season and will never be looking towards another binder, they're incredible. i look the toe strap on the 390s way more as a toe cap then the burton capstraps. the 390 straps have a much snugger fit. i've heard that romes customer support is awesome too.

That's another one for the 390's!

What's amazing is that they are cheap in cost too! I was looking at the Burton Co2's and thought to myself, "damn almost $300 for some freaking bindings... wtf!"
Old 01-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

it depends on how reponsive ie stiff you want the binder to be.

personally i would fork out a bit more dosh for the targa binder set. altho they are super stiff compared to the 390s

the cartels are the ones i ended up getting and they started off quite rigid with a super aggressive forward leaning high back, but they seem to have softened up quickly

also, as with most burton stuff, they are covered in pretty cosmetic touches, but they are placed in all the right spots to be scratched and scarred and so can look quite untidy quite quickly, presumably so those who care about appearances will rush out and get the new gear each and every season.

but functionally, they are doing me oorite thus far.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

My bud has the cartels that he purchased for this season and loves them. He says the response is very good.

I'm not sure how the 390s compare, but the cartels seem to be very customizable. I think the features should become standard on all bindings. It would make buying and fitting, much easier.
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
carne_asada

I know I can't go wrong with either one but so far the main difference between the two is the lack of the forward lean on the Rome's and conforming to the cap strap of the Burton's!?!

My apologies for making such a quick decision so difficult but I'm hoping to narrow down a good set that I'll be happy with and that'll hopefully last me a lot more seasons.