Beginner Gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner Gear

Hey all,
I'm a beginner at snowboard. I have only been twice so far but it is definetly something I could see myself doing once or twice a year (I dont live anywhere near snow). It costs me about 150 to hire gear but just checking out boards online it would pay for itself only going a few times. Also the hire gear I got hurt my feet real bad. Just looking for some opinions on if it is worth buying gear and if my selection seems OK or what should I get? Am I spending to much or to little?
Im 25, 65-70kg (145-155 pount), 180cm tall, size 10-11 shoes.

This is the stuff that looks ok to me:
Lib Tech Skate Banana BTX Snowboard 156 Yellow - Men's
Vans Aura Snowboard Boots Black/White - Men's
Burton Custom Snowboard Bindings Black - Men's

Again I really have no idea about snowboarding and just picked this stuff because it looks cool and the price seems OK.

Cheers!
tal06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
oxi

You have to go to oa shop to try on different boots to see if they fit, or else they'll just hurt like the hire gear does. Some people will probably give some better advice based on what kind of riding you wanna do, but if you're just starting out that setup looks fine to me. As for how much you should be spending.. really depends on how much money you have
oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

The gear you have selected is good. In my experience it doesn't really matter what gear you use when you are starting out because most beginners won't notice the difference between good and average gear. Boots are the exception and extremely important to enjoying your time at the hill. You'll want to go to a shop and try a few different brands on to get the feel for what you like and don't like.
Enjoy yourself out there!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

- Try on a bunch of boots before you buy.
- Bindings are fine for a beginner, thats what I have on my old board.
- I'm not sure what the price you found on the skate banana is, but it's probably alott more of an expensive and technical board then you need. I'm not sure about this specific model either, but skate bananas are infamous for being noodles; they flex ALOTT. This means when your just starting out and you get into choppy conditions, the board doesn't handle very well. I would suggest getting a relatively inexpensive mid-level stiffness board to start out with, and when you get to the advanced level grab a nice expensive board.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cheers guys. I went to the burton website and used the board selecter thing, it said a 154 standard. I found it online and its 200 cheaper then the skate banana. Is this a type of stiff board like you were saying hobomaster? One reason I went for the skate benana because it said it has lots of float, and im assuming that is one of the things that would help me stop catching the back edge of the board when im turning.
i was hoping you wouldnt all go for the try on all boots thing but Im going to have to now. The nearest shop with snow gear (and they dont have much of it) is 5 hours drive. Guess I will have to make the trip though. Good excuse to get pi$$ed I guess.
Thanks!
tal06 is offline   Reply With Quote