New board for smaller rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face New board for smaller rider

Hey guys, trying to do some research and learn about what would be good for my next board. My first was probably bought in around 04, and have used it ever since even though I took the last 2 years off of boarding.

I'm 5'6", ~140 lbs. (My feet are also small my shoe size is between an 8-9) And I'm not growing any more (god damnit, 23 years old)

I was watching this:

YouTube - Snowboard Rocker & Camber Guide

And it seems that what I want to do fits into the "all mountain freestyle rocker". The reverse camber thing definitely seems interesting to me and I think I want to try it. I could get down the mountain and carve with no problem on my old board, but I want to get around to hurdling myself off kickers to certain bone breakage.

What I currently have is a 147 board. Always seemed to serve me well but last I remember was starting to seem a bit stiff to me. It's right below my chin. So anyways, what board options do I have besides the ones in the video? If I am going to start trying to get into tricks, would a true twin be better than a directional? Thanks
EricIndecisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

go for a 150 or 152 size and consider looking into maybe a rome agent or something its a kind of stiff kind of hard board and allows u to slay it all good for jumps rails riding pretty much everything
snowboarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

its like mid flex i think
Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. So you think I should stick with positive camber instead of a rocker even with wanting to get into more 'tricks'? I don't care too much about going ridiculously fast, but something easy to butter and ride switch would be a blast for me. I'm not the type of guy that wants to go huge, just something really easy to have fun with.
EricIndecisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

well rocker goes great with rails and such but positive camber goes great with speeds and jumps and tricks im kind of new to snowboarding but finding a new board i had to ask alot of stuff alot of people tell me that you can hold an edge and hit jumps and do tricks better with positive camber and rocker is amazing for rails because it holds on better to the rail but if you have the money and want an all around board do some research on the rome agent itll do absolutely amazing on tricks and riding and everything else hope this helped and not to get confused with the rome agent rocker just look at the rome agent
Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

but i dont know much about rocker but the all mountain rocker seems good to i would just stick with positive camber though
Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

btw rocker boards take away pop on jumps but rocker is supposedly a unique ride havent road one yet though infact ive inly rode my friends board im getting a board this year though haha
Old 08-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

You definitely sound like you want something with reverse camber. Get about a 147-152 anything between that size should be fine. boards with RC are more playful and more your park/freestyle boards and they float great in pow because of the natural lift they have. i went from a burton operator 152 (regular camber) to a skate banana 152 (reverse camber with magnatraction) and i instantly noticed a huge difference, you can butter and spin around with not having to worry about catching an edge ( it can still happen trust me hahaha) If your going for a board that is just all around fun to ride and playful in the park and freestyle stuff, go with a RC. if your looking to bomb hills and hit fat jumps, go regular camber.
Look at lib tech stuff, Capita stuff, and a lot of people on these forums are in love with Neversummer, i've never ridden one so i cant give an opinion on them.
try to ride a few different boards if you can, and just pick your favorite, its a big person preference thing, i wasn't a big fan of capita, but i know a lot of people swear by them.
myschims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myschims View Post
You definitely sound like you want something with reverse camber. Get about a 147-152 anything between that size should be fine. boards with RC are more playful and more your park/freestyle boards and they float great in pow because of the natural lift they have. i went from a burton operator 152 (regular camber) to a skate banana 152 (reverse camber with magnatraction) and i instantly noticed a huge difference, you can butter and spin around with not having to worry about catching an edge ( it can still happen trust me hahaha) If your going for a board that is just all around fun to ride and playful in the park and freestyle stuff, go with a RC. if your looking to bomb hills and hit fat jumps, go regular camber.
Look at lib tech stuff, Capita stuff, and a lot of people on these forums are in love with Neversummer, i've never ridden one so i cant give an opinion on them.
try to ride a few different boards if you can, and just pick your favorite, its a big person preference thing, i wasn't a big fan of capita, but i know a lot of people swear by them.
+1 sorda what i was trying to say but put way better
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

ya take a look at lib tech, ride, rome, capita, all great brands i prefer rome though just fell in love with it ha