I'm feeling left behind... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm feeling left behind...

Howdy! I've been riding since '93, but it has been a while since I've been board shopping. My buddy wants to buy my current setup from me [164 Ride Timeless + Drake Podiums], so I need a new board and bindings. I walked into my local shop and asked the guys what was good, and was barraged with rocker-this and camber-that and moustache-blah-diddy-blah. After some Googlin', reading of FAQs [here and elsewhere] and whatnot, I have a better edumacation of what the new boards are all about. Still, I'd like some opinions on what my options are for a new snowboard.

Some background on me [I apologize in advance for the info-dump]:
  • 175 lbs + gear
  • 5'10" [5'11" on a good day]
  • 9.5 boots
  • I've been riding boards in the 162-164 range for 12 years, and have been pretty happy with that length
  • Past boards I've enjoyed have been Burton BMC ['02], Limited Ltd. ['97 or '98 - the navy blue one]. I had 6 days on an Option Signature ['05] which felt good, but I had to warranty it. I couldn't get another Sig [sold out], so I had to settle for the Timeless.
  • I have a preference for somewhat stiffer boards, as they tend to hold an edge better on hardpack and in crud.
  • Boards I didn't really like were the Burton Supermodel '99 [too soft], Sims Daytona '00 [too stiff], Limited LTD '00 [too crappy], Ride Timeless [too soft].
  • An average day for me will be in the trees at Lake Louise, Kicking Horse, Fernie or Revelstoke. An above average day will find me in the trees at Red Mountain or Whitewater. A truly superior day will find me in bowls and trees in the Nelson-area backcountry.
  • I'll get a bit of air off natural features, but I stay far away from the park and pipe.
  • Budget - I'd like to keep the board and binding combo under $1500

So, any recommendations for a new board? I am totally open to any and all new tech/brands/lengths. TIA
pinkrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Good News, plan to spend less then half that on a really nice setup. Ski's are a different deal, but snowboards really aren't that expensive. Top of the line run about $500-600, bindings $150-200. You can get deals on those prices too.

Sounds like you like a nice and stiff freeride only board. Check these out, NeverSummer makes sick boards.

F1 Premier: http://neversummer.com/2010/snow/premier.html
Titan: http://neversummer.com/2010/snow/titan.html

For 2011 I think they revamped the Titan into this, the Raptor http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/neve...oard-2011.aspx

Last edited by HoboMaster; 08-17-2010 at 11:18 AM.
HoboMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Never Summer Raptor is $579... if I was a full-time big mountain rider that's what I'd be going for.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 48

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Cannonsburg - 1
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's two votes for the NeverSummer Raptor, and I see a lot of support for NS in general on this forum. Any other brands with something similar, such as Gnu, Lib-Tech, Rome, Option, etc.?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You are exactly my measurements. Although I fluctuate between 175 - 185lbs

I ride 158 for all-mountain. 161 is great for powder days, but with rocker you definitely won't need one that big. You can even do a 156 for a more playful board.

Here are my recs:

Burton: Custom X - Great board for your style of riding. It is a traditional camber and fairly stiff and light. You're going to love charging with this board.

Burton Custom X Snowboard 2011

Ride: Highlife - I haven't had a chance to demo this board, but I have heard great reviews from co-workers. They said this board rips and is a fantastic all-mountain/powder board. It has a LowPro rocker. That means it is rockered through the tip, but flatter in the tail. I hear riding switch is fine on this board, but it's not exactly what it was built for.

Ride Highlife Mens Snowboard 2011

Lib Tech: Banana Magic - I friggen love this board. If budget was not an issue, this would be my board for sure. It was a pure pleasure to ride this board all-mountain while still being able to freestyle. It was light and fast. Edge to edge was smooth and the power out of the turns was satisfying. It is also a rocker with magnatraction. This board has the highest rocker out of my recommendations, but it doesn't ride like one. It's loose when you need it to be yet still engaging during carves. The magnatraction absolutely works on icey conditions.

T-Rice Pro Model - It's hard to find a bad review about this board. I unfortunately didn't get a chance to hop on one, but people love it!

Lib Tech Snowboards

K2: Turbo Dream - I will always recommend this board for an all-mountain rider. It is simply a great board to shred the whole mountain with. This board has K2's all-mountain rocker which is the rocker tech that I favor most currently. Engaging edge hold, great torsional flex to power you out of the turns, and the 2011 has harshmellow which dampens the ride on faster, steeper runs. Oh, and landings were stable off natural kickers (Not that I get huge cork 360s or anything :P). For a rockered board, the Turbo Dream was pretty fast. Not Custom X fast, but fast enough.

Slayblade - Another employee favorite at the 2011 test fest. This one has 0 camber which means that it is totally flat. Pretty decent stick in my opinion. Zippy and gripping. Smooth edge to edge and decent pop.

K2 Snowboards

For bindings, your options are wide open.

You want stiff? Ride SPI are super stiff. You want middle of the road flex? Ride Deltas are great.

Rome Targas have stiffness adjustability so those are a great choice for all-mountain riders.

There are tons of recent binding threads around here so you can take a looksy there.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Cool beans!

One thing I'm wondering about [zips up flamesuit] regarding Burton, have they gotten better in terms of maintaining stiffness? The two Burton boards I have [BMC, Supermodel] lasted for maybe 20 days at the initial stiffness levels, and then turned to noodles. Putting that many days into other boards, I didn't experience the same issue. [keeps flamesuit on while awaiting responses]

Other than that, are there any real disadvantages to rockered/hybrid boards or "magnetraction" edges in terms of speed or traversing? For whatever reason, I find myself doing long, flat traverses where every little bit of speed helps. Many of the reviews I've read indicate there's a bit of a tradeoff with max straightline speed vs. the added edge hold. Is it something I'd notice?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I personally haven't had any issues with Burton boards. My experience with them only runs from 2006 and on though. My current 07 Shaun White is still great and poppy as ever. I haven't notice any substantial change in the flex. I ride really crappy conditions as well and I have put a lot of days on that board.

The speed issue with rockers vs traditional camber is true for the most part. Camber is just faster hands down... unless powder comes into play. A good sintered base, cambered board will always be faster than a sintered rocker board. On the flip side, a rockered board will always provide more float and maneuverability.

There are tons of options out there though providing you with a plethora of good compromises. For example, that Turbo Dream I mentioned. While being rockered and fast, it still isn't as fast as the Custom X. However, because it is an all-mountain rocker which means it's mellow, it is faster than other boards with higher rockers. The speed trade-off isn't as drastic and you still get a lot of the playfulness and float of a full on rockered board.

Edge hold has also been an issue with rockered boards. Cambered boards just can't be beat in this department either. But again, the difference nowadays just isn't as drastic as they were a couple of years ago. The Ride Machete has great edge hold. In fact, I forgot that I was on a rockered board for a moment when I demoed it.

I personally am going to make the move to rockered boards next season. They are just plain old fun to ride. They provide more than enough speed for me. After all, it's not like I'm constantly bombing runs or racing friends. The added float and playfulness is a great trade-off for me especially when considering edge hold isn't such a big issue with rocker tech with all the options available.

BTW: I will always have a place in my heart for traditional camber boards. The Custom-X still reigns as one of my favorite all-mountain boards.

Last edited by Leo; 08-17-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

164 Timeless + Drake Podiums - the exact setup I was riding a couple years back. I think my Timeless was an 01 or 02. I will vouch for NeverSummer. I went from the Timeless to a 168 Premier, and recently demoed the new 161 Premier (2010 version). It was a blast to ride. I've got a good 30+lbs on you and you will have no problem downsizing a bit with these boards. Don't leary of the smaller size, they ride bigger than they look...IMO.
Psi-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks all! Based on your descriptions, I may be best served by going with a board that has traditional camber or perhaps only partial/hybrid rocker. I've never had any problems with powder - it's just so easy to ride. I'm getting a semi just thinking about it.

The only thing I have trouble with is keeping an edge on hardpack or in crap snow. I'm guessing that's what the magnetraction-style edges are for?
Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Had no issue holding an edge on hard pack or ice on my rocker/camber board last season. Also had no issues losing speed on flats compared to my old cambered board. For side cuts the magne-traction felt too catchy for me and I prefered the Vario Grip of my NS. Going to be checking out smokin boards this season and see how their take of magne-traction(which is a bit mellower then Lib techs) compares to Never Summers Vario Grip.

Would suggest that you try and demo a few hybrid rockers and see how you like them.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote