tailbone injuries? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
snowcraze

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaWood View Post
If you get he right fit, it is not obvious at all. People have a tendency to view it as a thick ass foam padded bullet proof vest or something, but there not. I have the older vest and it is not horribly thick, but good enough to protect you if you biff onto your side or back off of a rail. They have articulated pads so your movement is still really great. They are honestly probably as comfortable as you can get for any kind of back and side protection and are not cumbersome at all. It doesn't provide any spectacular amount of warmth but obviously aids some to layering. I would assume that the newer ones have only gotten more comfortable and lighter weight.
Yep at first i was worried about it being cumbersome (and making my butt look big ) but after what you said i might just check it out. I was meaning to go check it out earlier but i've been swarmed at work. I didn't even get to do any snowboarding last weekend.

So will be heading out to jay peak this saturday. Hopefully its not gonna be too icy. If i can't find any suitable butt pads i'm just gonna tape a beanie to my ass, pray to god and hope for the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcraze View Post
If i can't find any suitable butt pads i'm just gonna tape a beanie to my ass, pray to god and hope for the best
If you can't find anything, there is quick, inexpensive alternative. Get a cheap football girdle, and get a tailbone pad for the girdle. While this wont be as good full-on snowboard pads, but it is MUCH better than nothing at all. It should run you under $20 - $30 bucks. You can get them at almost any decent sporting goods store, or online. Oh Wait! isn't there also some hockey equivelent? (I've never played hockey, so I don't know)

"Up, up, my people, let smoke and flame be our sign!"
-The White Rose Society

sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
jaidaRose

Thanks for the info on this thread. I took a hard fall a week ago and wondered if my tailbone was broken or just badly bruised. My entire rear is pretty black and blue, and the tailbone area is black and blue as well. First thing that came to my mind right after the fall was, "I need to invent some butt pads". Outside of a knee injury skiing, this has been by far the most painful injury yet. I'm a new snowboarder(skier convert!) and was trying to get some toe work in....ended up falling backwards on my rear down the mountain and the first thing to hit was my tailbone. Had a doctor look at it the next day and just prescribe some pain medication, but still, a week later, I can't lay on my back, lean back in any chair and every cough or sneeze and I feel it right away.

I ended up calling it a day on my 4th run(the run I fell on), and laid in first aid while the nausea and lightheadedness passed. It was a shame we were only up for the day...I was doing so well!

I am definitely going to check out some protection for sure. We are going back up(it's going to be icy, I'm sure) this Friday, and if I'm feeling up to it, I'm going to give the board another go. I am going to secure some good padding before hand, just in case I decide to go up.

Thanks all for your input! It's helped a newbie out!

Last edited by jaidaRose; 03-10-2008 at 01:08 AM.