Let's talk weight to board performance & flex relationship - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Let's talk weight to board performance & flex relationship

I have been thinking about this for a while now. We all know (or should know) that weight is one of the biggest factors to choosing the correct board size. What I am talking about here is manufacturers intended purpose of a board, it's flex and how weight will influence that.

Example 1: If someone weighs 200lbs and normally rides their all-mountain board (SL, Agent, Custom, etc) in a 162 range, how much impact would downsizing to a 158 have? Would that make a supposed all-mountain board perform more like a park stick and handle worse on the rest of the mtn?

Example 2: Take a stiffer all-mountain or big mountain freestyle deck like the Lib Tech T-Rice. Again, if you weigh in the 200lb range and ride this board in a 157, how can you expect it to perform? Would it still be considered on the stiffer side, minimal at speed, etc or would the extra rider weight allow the board to butter easier, etc?

To phrase it a different way, I guess I am trying to pinpoint how much additional weight actually affects board performance. If a board is ideal for a person at 160lbs, how much different would the board be for a person at 190lbs?

I understand it is all preference but I think this is useful to discuss when assessing other people's reviews as well as choosing your own board size.
tekniq33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

A couple additional points:

- On one hand I usually think that small differences in size for the same board will very minor effects. On the other hand most brands have sizes along the lines of 156, 158, 160, etc. That makes me think those 2cm really are making a difference.

- I usually keep a couple of boards at the same time but they are typically along the lines of a stiff, directional, 163 and then a mid-flexing, twin 158. I have no experience with riding the same board in different sizes except for a 2010 SL-R in 164 and a 2011 in 158. Definitely noticed the difference there but that doesn't help my point of smaller difference in sizes.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hmm, that is another wrinkle. I am similar size as you but without the feet of an asian woman! (6'2" ~180, sz. 11). I am hoping more people post to this as it is something I am really curious about and info I would like to have when choosing this years board.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

at 170lbs i ride from a 153 to 165, i would say that a stiffer smaller board will give a more stable ride, while i find a longer softer board more playful and fun to ride, I spent a lot of time on my 165 lib-tech mullet last year in all conditions. I guess i would say that the flex is a more dominant feature then length.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Big thing you're over looking is reference stance, that's where the company intends it to be flexed along with the fact that the weight ranges usually have a 75lb gap from lightest to heaviest and are designed for someone in the middle of those ranges riding reference stance.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

BA, do you think one size really makes a difference? If I am 185 and choosing between 158 and 160 for all mountain do you find it actually makes a difference? I prefer smaller if possible but dont want to give up stability.

Also I am not really questioning differences between choosing shorter stiffer board or longer softer board. I am thinking more along the lines of sizing down on a stiffer board and if it would truly become more mid flexing at a smaller size and higher weight.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To answer your question if you go to a smaller board and are at the higher end of the weight spectrum yes it will flex more.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
To answer your question if you go to a smaller board and are at the higher end of the weight spectrum yes it will flex more.
Damn, I have been around here too long to walk into that.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Damn, I have been around here too long to walk into that.