New Board/Bindings for Tall Guy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board/Bindings for Tall Guy

Hey guys and girls, I've been reading the board for a while now, but decided to post something to get my question(s) answered, I'm sure you all can help.

I'm thinking about getting a new board, to last me several years at least - I'm 6'6, 215lbs, shoe size 13. I'm an upper intermediate rider, mostly blues and some blacks, like to ride switch and planning on learning some tricks in the near future. I really like the design of the 2011 GNU Altered Genetics C2BTX 162. However, the width seems to be 25.7cm on that board. I'm wondering if that's wide enought for size 13 (my angles are -15/15)?? Also, I was looking at the Flow NXT ATs, but some of my friends told me they're much heavier than regular bindings, which will be detrimental for tricks. Can someone weigh in on that please?

Thanks for all your help in advance.
lkaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ok, I measured my board from last season (it is my friend's which is why I'm getting one for myself), and it's close to 27cm in width, so it sounds like the GNU AG drops out (25.7). I'm now considering the Dark Series 2011 Wide 164. I've been reading rave accounts of "Magnetraction", is it actually worth it or can I expand my sights to boards from Never Summer (like their designs more)? My last board (Lamar from back in '02), was 162.5, pretty stiff. Does it make sense to upgrade to 164, or should I stick to 161-163? I mainly freeride and need stability at high speeds, but also love riding switch and doing some tricks...
Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would say go with 164+ for freeriding. 161 would probably be fine for park, but you will probably lose stability. I haven't had a chance to ride a lib tech so I can't say much about them. Never Summer does have a version of magnetraction, called vario grip, where they have a deep sidecut radius towards the tips, shallow radius under the feet, and a flat radius in the middle. This basically acts as a less agressive version of magnetraction. If you're looking for an all mountain board, check out the Never Summer Heritage X or Legacy.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

How aggressive do I actually want magnetraction/other tech to be? Mainly ride on the East Coast, with groomers and plenty of icy days. I think 163-164 is about right, since I do a mix of freeride and freestyle...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't worry about your binding weight too much, most of the issues with binding weight is placebo I would say, kinda like how people would cry foul of the Rome 390's for being so heavy, but once they were weighed it turned out they were actually exceptionally light. Especially for a guy your size, your 215lb, a couple pounds difference in bindings will be negligible. Mind you, with bindings the weight will effect your rotations as they are towards the outside of the board, but I still severely doubt they would make a noticable difference. Even if they did, it would mean slower and more controlled spins, which is a good thing compared to quick spins which usually just aren't very stylish.

As for the NXT's specifically, the main issue you may have is fit. Flows divide opinion, the consensus seems to be that if you set them up well and they work well for you then awesome and you may find them to be just as good as traditional bindings, but if you rush it and don't fit them correctly they aren't so awesome at all. If you go for any Flows, the NXT-AT's are the ones to get.

I got to try a friends NXT-AT's for a while, they weren't set up for me but me and my friend have similar shoe sizes, despite this I thought they were decent (not good) and with a proper set up I could definitely see them being quite good. If you don't need the convenience of flows then just go for regular bindings.
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Listen to Pistacio about the Flows, his post is spot on. I ride NXT-AT's and have ridden Flows for the better part of a decade but you have to take time to set them up properly (centering the boot mainly)which involves about 20-30 minutes total. Once dialed in they are just as good as any other binding IMO, for east coast riding at least. In really deep stuff they can be a PITA to get into though the new model NXT-At takes care of that.

As far as boards, with your 13 foot you might want to check out wide versions of course. I am 6'2" 210 and ride a 165 and I would say for me that is the limit. Anything smaller just doesn't give me the stability, speed, or float that I like. Of course 164/165 is splitting hairs so I think your right on with regards to length.
jpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm thinking about the NXT FSE (Or ATSE, if someone could tell me the difference) - since those have better reviews than the ATs that I read...Right now, in terms of board, I'm pretty much down to either the Dark Series Wide 2011 LibTech or the 2011 Heritage X NS
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Flows are great bindings for big people. This is because bigger fellas like yourself have a tougher time strapping into traditional bindings. Flows take care of that because of their quick entry. But as everyone stated, it takes some trial runs and adjusting to get them just right. That is unless you get the SE versions. The SE versions mix traditional ladder system with Flow's. The inner straps have holes that you screw the cap into. Then you simply crank the outer ladders down on your boot like normal bindings and you're pretty much set to go. This system also gets rid of the notorious powder problem with Flows of yesteryear. You can actually treat any newer Flows this way anyway because of their mini-ratchet system.

The biggest benefit of Flows however is the comfort. Flow's caps have a even pressure distribution on your feet causing much less fatigue. There is a cost though, you don't get as much response as traditional bindings. However, the difference is highly negligible. I can still do everything on my Flows that I can on a traditional binding.

NXT-AT is not the binding to get. It is a great binding, but there is one better. The NXT-FSE. It is basically a lighter version of the AT or ATSE. I have demoed all of the SE Flow bindings for 2011. The NXT-ATSE is great. However, if the cost difference wasn't an issue to me, I'd go with the NXT-FSE. In fact, I do own the FSE and I chose that over the ATSE. You can get the regular AT, but I recommend the SE version.

As for your board, magnatraction will be great for East Coast riding. It absolutely works on ice. With your size 13 feet, you do need a wide board hands down.

BTW: The SE versions are lighter. The NXT-FSE is really light. I love them! I don't know what your friends are talking about or what Flows they have tried, but they aren't as heavy as they once were.

If you want the 2011 ones:

http://www.snowboards.net/flow/b313/...snowboards.net

We don't have the 2010 models in your size

Last edited by Leo; 08-23-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Leo, confirmed my suspicions! Are there any other colors than blue available? Really not a fan of the blue....maybe Red or White?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How about Red and White?

2011 Flow NXT FSE ALL-Mountain/Freestyle Snowboard Bindings

Keep in mind, that site won't have it until October. We won't get that color. The projected demand for the red ones are too low :/

They do look pretty sick though! Not as sick as the turquoise ones though