Forum Rat - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Forum Rat

I'm curious about this board. A rail (maybe park) board for $260 with some actual "tech" involved. Might end up a best seller if it has decent rideability...

Anyone been on it? Or the Contract for that matter...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've seen it but I haven't had the chance to ride it yet, but I think it's going to kill. Talking with Dave Friend the brand manager they're not making any money on this deck it's just Forums way of giving back.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That is refreshing to see. I may just end up grabbing one for a rock board if its a fun ride. I've always had a special place for Forum, just haven't had a product I liked to fill it with, maybe this...

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I've seen it but I haven't had the chance to ride it yet, but I think it's going to kill. Talking with Dave Friend the brand manager they're not making any money on this deck it's just Forums way of giving back.
Well you can tell Dave he's full of shit. Companies don't just do things out of good will - at least not companies owned by a corporate conglomerate like Burton. Companies make do things to make money, either directly or indirectly. Maybe they aren't making much if a profit margin on this board, but if that's the case, they aren't doing it just "to give back". They're doing it to gain marketshare, reach out to a new customer base, get PR, or create brand loyalty - all of which would fall into the making money indirectly category. Either way, Forum expects this move to put money in the bank in some fashion.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Oh come on, the world is all lollypops and miniature schnausers....

OR IS IT???? DUH DUH DUHHHHH

Capitalism works to weed out anyone who is not making some kind of profit / unable to expand. If your not making any money as a snowboard company, your probably not going to be able to make better products and therefor you will go out of business. Not to mention the chairman's wife's new Mercedes.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm not criticizing companies.for making money. I simply criticize when companies claim to be doing something for a purpose other than making money.

Plato said happiness is the ultimate good and I believe him. In other words, everything an individual does is ultimately done for his/her own happiness. For companies, making money is happiness.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I tell you what why don't you go tell him yourself. I deal with bullshit day in and day out, this guy was genuine when I met with him at SIA. It was kind of funny since most people that had media appointments with Forum got the PR person, he went out of his way to spend an hour talking to me about Forum, the rat, and to see why I'm such a harsh critic for them. I fully understand what this board means it's to replace the street dweller from like 10 years ago, a board that was I believe 150 bucks when it came out but most shops sold for 99 bucks. It's designed as a cheap pricepoint throw away jib stick because companies do realize that snowboarding is expensive and we're pushing out the lower income people. Sure they have 1 board they aren't turning a profit on, doesn't mean they don't have a shit ton of other boards, boots, bindings, outerwear, and movies that they aren't making money on. Frankly nothing wrong with a limited production run of decks that will get in the hands of people that otherwise couldn't afford a brand name deck. The industry might be fucked but I'll say this at least guys like Dave actually are trying to fix some of the bullshit from the greed of the salad days. I can see it and I call bullshit out everyday. Think what you want about it.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I know a lot more about business than I know about snowboarding and I can tell you that no one in marketing or PR departments are genuine. It's their JOB to put a positive spin on their company and their products. It's what they're paid to do. He's their brand manager. I would expect him to be good at his job. I've worked in marketing for the past five years. We're all full of shit, but we get damn good at hiding it.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Like I said think what you want. 5 years in marketing isn't 14 years in the snowboard industry. There's a reason I have companies tell me I'm far more relevant than other bloggers or shop kids and that's cause I see through the bullshit and call it how I see it. This boards the real deal, but with only like 500 in existence it's not going to hurt their bottom line, but it just might get some kids on a product that's backed by a company that isn't Lamar, 5150, or Sims. For that I'll commend them. Like I said before there's some great people in snowboarding doing some amazing things that you or anyone else on this site will ever know.

Also for all I know this board could ride like shit. I'm not praising the board itself just the concept. If it rides like the street dweller I feel pity for anyone that tries to ride it on a mountain.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
There's a reason I have companies tell me I'm far more relevant than other bloggers or shop kids and that's cause I see through the bullshit and call it how I see it.
I rest my case.

If you don't know what that reason is, then I don't know what to tell you. Like I said, we get good at our jobs.

I respect your opinion and if you choose to believe him, then by all means do it. But, like I said, I know business and I know the corporate pressures for profit. Everything they do is to increase profits. Don't buy into bullshit reasoning. It all boils down to P/L's.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 08-21-2010 at 12:30 AM.