Womens Beginner Board Dilemma - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
mjd

Default Womens Beginner Board Dilemma

So I told my girlfriend she'll be spending this winter learning how to snowboard. She's never even been on a chairlift so she's starting way back from square one. I need to gear her up and my buds at the local shop are handling the boots end of it. I'm trying to get a sense of what board to strap her corn-fed butt to. Here's a few parameters I set to get started.

* board should be either flat/rocker or full rocker. (not sure this is the right way to go since camber riding to me is really true snowboarding. but i know from experience rocker is normally easier to turn and you have less chance of catching an edge)

*should be a twin because I want to get her riding switch right away thinking she'll enjoy riding a lot more if she can ride both ways at will- plus it'll force me to start doing it again.

*should be a really soft jib stick type deck (again not sure on this. the thinking is the softer the deck is the easier it is to turn. i guess i'm most intent on her "getting it" and having some fun as quickly as possible so i think there'll be less stress on her legs, feet etc with a soft board.

*she should be good on a 140-147 at 5'4" 132 lbs.

*the board should be under $300 and not a EST Burton board- it's not necessary to get stuck with that.

*should be a womens specific board (q: why? a: no idea, they say they're made differently. need female input on that.)

So i'm making a call for any ideas from ppl who have experience teaching first timers on what boards they think would be best for getting a them going the quickest. I know one line of thinking is just get them rentals but I did that when I first started and it was a pretty horrible experience with the crap they handed out. Plus i'm willing to do this so there's no need for her to have rentals.

Here's what i'm eyeing:

Union Cadet Lady bindings

Forum The Sauce
Roxy Ollie Pop
Capita Space Metal Fantasy
Rome Lo Fi 1985
Smokin' Vixen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You aren't planning on teaching her........are you???

I think the Capita Space Metal Fantasy would be a good bet for her. It runs just over $300 new, is a true twin, and is a reverse camber ("Flat Kick") board. It is super soft, so it would be excellent to learn on, but can still handle all-mountain riding. I own one and really enjoy messing around on it.

The Ollie Pop or the Roxy Eminence would both be good fits as well (similar boards), but they are a fair bit above budget. I ride a Gnu B-street, which is the same board as the Eminence, and I find it a bit more versatile than my Capita SMF.

The Rome Vinyl is more common for beginners than the Lo-Fi. In fact, the Vinyl is a favorite among beginners. It's a great option.

Others:
Gnu B-nice
Atomic Fallen Angel
Never Summer Pandora
Arbor Cadence
K2 Luna or Lunatique
Ride Compact

At 130 pounds, a 140 length is pretty short. Go longer.

I don't know much about the Union Cadets. I can recommend Ride Vxns as a solid, intermediate women's binding.

Oh, and buy her a women's board. First of all women comprise a very small percentage of the snowboard market, so it's good to support women's products whenever possible. Secondly, women's boards tend to be softer and come in smaller sizes, to suit women who tend to be smaller and less powerful.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just got my chicka a K2 Lunatique with some k2 Cinchs...its 70 percent flat, with 30 percent rocker. I think it will do her well, she's had a couple of bad experiences with rentals, so hopefully a nicer setup will ease the learning curve a bit..
Zapatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
mjd

Thanks for the comments. Actually I am going to be teaching her and see how it goes. Neither of us have ever been on skis so I know about how it is when starting out for the first time not ever having gone to a ski area before. I think it should go ok- if not we'll get her some lessons in a program or something.

I'm def leaning towards the Capita SMF since all my boards are Capitas and I've ridden the Horrorscope FK so I have a bit of an idea what it rides like. I was also think if the magna traction edge stuff would help her out. I've ridden the skate banana and NS Sl-R and didn't like the edges on either- just feel it's way too grabby but I'm thinking for a first time beginner that might help out getting them comfortable especially on the toe side turns. But really I have no clue if that would be the case.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Of course, a lot about board choice is preference. I personally really love magnetraction and don't find it grippy at all. Never Summer Vario Grip would be a good compromise, as it serves the same function as magnetraction, but is never described as "grabby." I doubt, however, that either would actually help her learn in any way.

Side note: I predict (and I'm being nice) that your lessons will end in disaster and tears. I'm saying this because a lot of people on this forum have ended up in that exact situation. There is nothing wrong with helping her find gear and giving her tips along the way, but get her a group lesson for the first few days. It's one thing to know how to snowboard and quite another to know how to teach snowboarding. And forgive me when I say this, but you sound a bit "pushy." You told her she's going to learn, you want her to do this and that, etc. Remember that if you want her to enjoy snowboarding, it has to be about what she wants and how she wants to do it. Picking out the gear is part of the fun - make sure she's a part of it.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
mjd

I had a feeling magnatraction wouldn't help- thanks for confirming that.

In response to your side note- I can handle getting her started with this no problem. SHE WANTS me to show her but she's been stalling since last year because her friends told her it was dangerous and you get all beat up in the beginning so I didn't push her. But she keeps talking about it so this is it. I'll make sure it's fun for her.