Shopping online for first board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shopping online for first board?

So i moved from Florida last August to Colorado and only went out boarding one day. This season my wife and I are going full steam into the season. I plan to take lessons and board 4-5 days or more a month.

I have zero gear and i'm starting to make plans on how to buy my equipment. I'm definitely going to buy my boots locally so i can make sure they fit well and are comfy. However, i'm unsure on what's the best way to purchase my board. I know i want an All Mountain for this season and probably even next.

I started looking at most of the board companies website and using their charts it looks like i'm a 159/160. I'm 5'11 and weigh 188. I know that's just an estimate, but most are saying generally the same thing.

So here's my question, should i go to a local retailer and buy my board or should i look to purchase online? I wanted to stay in the <$300 range, but i know zero about board specifics other than i want a Mountain board. I also don't wanna go to a retail and get talked into a board by someone that doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Also, how much are local retailers compared to online prices? Would i save much by buying online?

Just not sure what route to take for getting my first.
noahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like you have the right idea about everything.
Buying a board online is fine, as long as you know the size, but it wouldn't hurt to check out the boards at the store.
Generally they'll be cheaper on websites like www.sierrasnowboards.com, however supporting your local store is always a good idea.

As for the size, as long as you don't want to venture into the park a 158 would suit you just fine.
thugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd go to a good shop for a first board. That way, you can try on boots and have the employees help you with stance angles and width. Whatever money you may save by shopping online can come back tenfold by developing a good relationship with your local shop.
AngryHugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahj View Post
So i moved from Florida last August to Colorado and only went out boarding one day. This season my wife and I are going full steam into the season. I plan to take lessons and board 4-5 days or more a month.

I have zero gear and i'm starting to make plans on how to buy my equipment. I'm definitely going to buy my boots locally so i can make sure they fit well and are comfy. However, i'm unsure on what's the best way to purchase my board. I know i want an All Mountain for this season and probably even next.

I started looking at most of the board companies website and using their charts it looks like i'm a 159/160. I'm 5'11 and weigh 188. I know that's just an estimate, but most are saying generally the same thing.

So here's my question, should i go to a local retailer and buy my board or should i look to purchase online? I wanted to stay in the <$300 range, but i know zero about board specifics other than i want a Mountain board. I also don't wanna go to a retail and get talked into a board by someone that doesn't really know what they are talking about.

Also, how much are local retailers compared to online prices? Would i save much by buying online?

Just not sure what route to take for getting my first.
Local shops are going to be getting new boards in, which will run about twice as much as last year's boards. You can still find those online. Are you looking to spend 300 on just a board? Or board + bindings? Or for everything? I don't think you can do everything including boots and clothing for that price.

One other thing, if you're near an REI, they still have some boards and bindings from last year's stock. You can buy them online and have them delivered for free to your local REI to pick up. That way, someone there can help you with adjusting your bindings and all that. Also, REI is awesome about returns if you have any problems.

Last edited by vote4pedro; 08-27-2010 at 02:25 PM.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

i've bought plenty of clothing, so i'm looking at $300 for a board and bindings.

i do have a bunch of local shops here (obviously living in Co), but was thinking maybe i find something i like locally and maybe save enough to get it online.

i'd love to support my local shops, but if i can save enough to buy online to make it worth my wild, i would.
noahj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think you'll be able to get a decent board and bindings in a local shop for under $300. Personally, I'd look at spending about $200 on a board and $100 on bindings. Buy 09/10 stock online. Then when you buy your boots locally, ask them to help mount your bindings. It's not hard, but you'll have more peace of mind if someone shows you what you're doing.

Also, if you have an ebay account and have had one for at least 6 months, ebay is giving 20% back on your first purchase when you sign up for Bill Me Later (only good through the end of the month - a few more days). If you can find a board you want on there, that'll make your budget go a lot further.

Last edited by vote4pedro; 08-27-2010 at 03:29 PM.
vote4pedro is offline   Reply With Quote